Richer Sounds Shout Out

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
How refreshing. Been looking for a cd player Hi Fi separate as mine is playing up. E mailed them re a repair. They checked the model etc and came back to say "Its had a good life, no chance getting spares". Fair do's. I shopped around and around. Found the same item £10 cheaper, albeit a referral link to a referral site to an advert. (Turns out it was for a different player when clicked 24hrs later). Anyhow, got a reply stating as such and that it doesn't meet the price match criteria but out of good will they'll offer me the £179 cd player for £159. Paid, they gave me free Saturday delivery and 2 days later I have my new CD Player for £159. Wicked service. But wait, today I get the Pre Black Friday deals and the same player is on offer for £129...I email them and thank them for the service and mention the latest price drop and how it would have been even better if they told me etc...Get a reply 5 minutes later, explaining its the manufacturer who did this, but not to worry, they'll match the price, please call for a £30 refund or use it against another product...How good is that. A £179 cd player and I now have it for £129, £50 quid saved...Nice one Richer Sounds

I like Richer Sounds, they do sound like they know what they are talking about when you call them, getting rarer and rarer these days... that's if you get talking to a human:thumb2

I remember when it was all fields and going to their first shop under London Bridge in the eighties.

Re CD player, I would have thought you can pick quality gear for buttons in the classifieds, people are chucking them out. I was at the recycling centre a while ago and there was a guy chucking decent separates, it was all I could do not to scavenge them so they can join my separates in storage!

Spotify the way to go Don, it's so clever.... the algorithms really do a decent job. Maybe not for the true audiophile though...

Spotify the way to go Don, it's so clever.... the algorithms really do a decent job. Maybe not for the true audiophile though...

If you listen on a decent hi-fi (mine is nothing special) you will still hear the difference between Spotify (higher quality stream) and the CD.
Apart from compression, it is also sometimes due to different masters (not always the MP3 come from the source as your CD) and re-masters over the years.

Spotify all day, but I still switch to CD if I want to have a "proper listen".

Bought a few things from Richer Sounds over the years and they were always extremely good.

I always end up getting my stuff there. Decent, knowledgeable staff of long service, usually. Always happy to actually sell you what you need or send you to a better alternative even if they don't sell it. As for the streaming...thats a whole new ball gane the wife wants to get but its another subscription, and I'd still need my cd player or turf hundreds of discs...which I cant see happening. Just criminal to throw away music I paid for...until I need more storage! Re the trade ads...20 year old players are going for silly money on e bay etc now Like £70 bucks...and history is not really known..

Just criminal to throw away music I paid for...

Why. :)
I do use streaming a lot, still have a lot of CDs and still buy a lot of CD.
If I discover something new I like via streaming, I normally also buy the disc.

If you listen on a decent hi-fi (mine is nothing special) you will still hear the difference between Spotify (higher quality stream) and the CD.
Apart from compression, it is also sometimes due to different masters (not always the MP3 come from the source as your CD) and re-masters over the years.

Spotify Hifi is said to be on the way.... https://www.whathifi.com/advice/spotify-hifi-quality-price-release-date-free-trial-and-latest-news

There's also Tidal, Amazon and Apple available now. Apple also offers Dolby Atmos-powered Spatial Audio for those of us with Atmos enabled equipment.
That includes the Yamaha A2A AV receiver I bought from Richer Sounds earlier this year when I received the usual, great customer service.

I get my new sounds from radio. But my thing is, if I stream, I'll just stream my own type of tunes and render cd's to storage as it'll be easier to do so etc..and the wife will end up commandeering it to play Ibiza chill out sessions..lol..

Bought a few things from Richer Sounds over the years and they were always extremely good.

I’m not a buff. But I thought that for true sounds vinal cannot be bettered. I’m a head banger and my kind of music sounds good on anything. Just push till distortion and back it off a tad. JJH

I think for the best quality/performance/enjoyment........there has to be wires/cables involved from source to speaker.....and everything in between.

S20 5G sent this......

This is a vague answer to all of the above.....

Richer Sound are great!

The best cd player I ever had was a Cyrus dvd player....it was far superior to the more expensive Cyrus CD player I "upgraded" to. I no longer have that.

Deezer are upgrading my service to HiFi quality soon for an extra £2.00 per month..... It's only 16-Bit/44.1 kHz FLAC so not hi-res but for casual streaming and lying in bed drunk with earphones in, it must be better, right?

Carry on.

D.

This is a vague answer to all of the above.....

Richer Sound are great!

The best cd player I ever had was a Cyrus dvd player....it was far superior to the more expensive Cyrus CD player I "upgraded" to. I no longer have that.

Deezer are upgrading my service to HiFi quality soon for an extra £2.00 per month..... It's only 16-Bit/44.1 kHz FLAC so not hi-res but for casual streaming and lying in bed drunk with earphones in, it must be better, right?

Carry on.

D.

Cancel your subscription. They will send you an offer to give you the HiFi streaming for £9.99 for 6 months ;)

I'm only paying £2.99 a month as it is.....I've never questioned it....think it was an offer years ago in conjunction with Virgin media.

Haven't Tidal got a "master" option?

I was given a premium Tidal log in code by a Romanian lad that was helping me out with a phone (through a phone forum)

A lot of the stuff only goes up to "Hi-fi" but some has the "Master" option.

S20 5G sent this......

+1 for Tidal. The Master option is lossless; excellent source

Didn't the founder of the firm divvy up his fortune among the workforce? That might explain why the punters go the extra mile?

Being good to the workforce has always shown dividends

Robert Owen (new Lanark Mills)
Cadbury (Bournville)
Rowantree (New Earswick)
Lever Brothers (Port Sunlight)

Hopefully the current shortage of labour will reignite a era of good intent among employers. :)

Being good to the workforce has always shown dividends

Hopefully the current shortage of labour will reignite a era of good intent among employers. :)

A lovely thought, however, shareholders want to see every drop of blood squeezed from the stone.

Aye short term gain always wins through.

Back
Top Bottom