Yamaha Tenere 700 Rally

BigKev67

Reaction score
I have a 2021 GSA and a Honda CRF 250 Rally.

My 250 is so much fun on small roads but at 24hp it really struggles.
The GSA is really nice but I use a fraction of its power , dont tour anymore and its a big lump to manhandle. So at age 68 I am considering having one do it all bike.

So i am thinking what is there that sits smack bang in the middle of my two bikes - the Yam T7 Rally

So the purpose of my post is to ask if anyone out there has had similar thoughts - or even had a test ride on the Tenere 700 Rally and could share their findings

The T7 Rallye and ordinary T7 are the same bikes, so have a test ride on either

Should suit your purpose if you like the test ride

Yeh the Rally has a few 'extras', probably the main one from a riding perspective is the one piece taller Rally seat versus the standard model two piece seat. Power and weight sit middway between GSA and 250 Honda

I sold my ATAS for my tenere, I sold my GS for my ATAS, I have no regrets....so much so I test rode a KTM 1290 Super Adventure with thoughts of trading my Tenere in, I didn't.

Best in class in my opinion (and many others) if you ride some off road. Otherwise the adventure part of your bike choice is style.

The mate I ride with most often has just gone 1250GS to T700 and he keeps up on road trips and I wouldn't attempt some of the off-road stuff his bike is capable of. It is tall, top heavy and some of the components are cheap compared to a GS, but it's less than half its price. Farkles are fewer, but tyres and seat are the first he's done.

Yeh the Rally has a few 'extras', probably the main one from a riding perspective is the one piece taller Rally seat versus the standard model two piece seat. Power and weight sit middway between GSA and 250 Honda

Some have swapped the Rallye 1 piece for the 2 seat option - as they find it comfier- personal choice?
I prefer the single front seat and the rear pillion seat replacement rack

I had a KTM250 exc-f and a 1200gs LC. I sold them both and got the T700. No regrets at all.
I also have experience of the Honda as my first trail bike was a crf250l.

The 250’s and the GS are all good bikes in their own right and have their own strengths and weaknesses but the T7 does it all. The standard tyres are good on the road, not so good on the trails if they are wet.

There are some aspects I miss- the KTM is half the weight of the T7 which is noticeable on the trails.

The GS is better at the big mileage days that might leave you fatigued on the T7. I find 300 miles in a day on the T7 is enough. The seat isn’t particularly comfortable but you get used to it. I had a brief sit on a rally seat recently and it did seem to be well padded and higher as already mentioned.

I used to ride a GSA and a CRF250l, chopped the crf for a ktm60 enduro, then changed that for a duke 390 for winter and zipping around lanes. Found the GSA too heavy and switched to a Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro. Much nicer having a 200kg bike. I considered the T7 when I went for the Tiger but did not float my boat in terms of it being more off road focused.

Looking at what you currently have 'invested' in 2 x 2 wheelers, I'd seriously look at something like a KTM 250 for off road and then a smaller, lighter bigger bike (Tracer 900, Tiger as mentioned above....something physically smaller but 4/5ths of the weight.(the new Norden 901 or maybe the KTM 890?)

I had a T7 for a week in Portugal last month. A great bike but I'd not want to get stuck off road with 200kg and it was a bit lacking on road. I really wanted to love it and make it my next bike (moving from a 245kg Africa Twin...be nice to drop 40kg plus) but I'll stick with the AT

Had a 1200 S10 Yamaha Super Tenere and for brief period a Suzuki DRZ 400

Loved the flikability of the DRZ but hated the lump of the S10.

The Yamaha Tenere 700 in middle of the 2 bikes

I have no regrets with the BHP reduction as the CP2 lump is amazing.

I think the T700 would struggle with a pillion on tour but solo is perfect.

There is loads of upgrades some cheap, some not so cheap.

Would recommend a 16T sprocket and 85-90 Nm rear spring.

They are the best value upgrades, problem is I should of stopped there :blast:blast

and it was a bit lacking on road.

Lacking what exactly ?

Reason I ask is recently I test rode a 1290 SAS, jumped back on my bike back down the road and without much thought looked down at my speed and I wasn't far short of a ton, and that made me think...well...

I sold my ATAS for my tenere, I sold my GS for my ATAS, I have no regrets....so much so I test rode a KTM 1290 Super Adventure with thoughts of trading my Tenere in, I didn't.

Me too! Tried the 1290 on Thursday, staying with T7 which I got, replacing my S1000XR.
It’s just one of these bikes that just work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16T front sprocket is better for road riding makes 1st gear more appropriate for the tarmac.
Standard Renthal MT07 direct fit, with new nut required.

Thanks for replies to my thread.
I dont actually do 'off road'. On the 250 I seek out the smallest tarmac on fells and moors and dales and go places I never have over 52 years of riding large bikes. I find my speeds have dropped and its now the places that I enjoy rather than looking for fast open A roads. At 68 yrs old maybe its an age thing or maybe its due to eventually riding a small light bike for the first time. However riding the 30 miles or so to get to the smaller roads is a bit of a pain with 24bhp.
So I look at the GSA and the 250 Honda and think if I had a bike that sits between the two it might be happy days.
Being 6 foot 5 limits my choice to adventure style tall bikes for comfort. Mind you I look at the two bikes and I think, I love them both - they are at each end of the scale - and winding the throttle open on the GSA is always going to get a grin.

What about a v85tt? I have one along with my GS. Love the smaller bike for small roads in the Dales and lakes... Shaft drive too.

Thanks for replies to my thread.
I dont actually do 'off road'. On the 250 I seek out the smallest tarmac on fells and moors and dales and go places I never have over 52 years of riding large bikes. I find my speeds have dropped and its now the places that I enjoy rather than looking for fast open A roads. At 68 yrs old maybe its an age thing or maybe its due to eventually riding a small light bike for the first time. However riding the 30 miles or so to get to the smaller roads is a bit of a pain with 24bhp.
So I look at the GSA and the 250 Honda and think if I had a bike that sits between the two it might be happy days.
Being 6 foot 5 limits my choice to adventure style tall bikes for comfort. Mind you I look at the two bikes and I think, I love them both - they are at each end of the scale - and winding the throttle open on the GSA is always going to get a grin.

After reading this post I think the T7 is exactly what you are looking for.

Bar risers and a Puig Touring screen make a big difference too.

The v85tt certainly looks nice in the white and yellow. Its very different from other adventure bikes, stunning even. Seat may be a bit low at 830mm. My GSA modified seat is 920mm !

Love mine cracking bike for a blast down to Wales then a blast on the trails when you get there :thumb2

Attachments

• IMG_20210702_164259.jpg
    IMG_20210702_164259.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 235

Back
Top Bottom