Had a test ride

When I first got my GS after a S1000XR, the shift assist was pants
Having covered nearly 14k miles now for me I use the clutch from 1 - 2 and sometime 3 depending how many revs....too many and its like a prancing carthorse with a firework up its arse
Also helps on mine if you load it up for upshifts
Find I'm short shifting up as the torques is there.....lots of it
The GS shift assist works fine for me with downshifts even to first, speed dependant
In my mind the gearbox and shifter have got much better with the miles

I must be the odd one out.

I've got a 2021 GS with GSAP. Previously had a 2019 with GSAP. Never had a problem. Only shift from 2nd upwards, and still use the clutch to downshift (habit I guess).
I find the GSAP spot on. No big clunks, bangs, or violence. I also find the hill start much improved on my 2019 model.

No you are not the odd one out.... see my post, ...like you I find my GSAP as smooth as silk :okay

I had Quck Shift (QS) on my previous Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE and it was, by comparison, crap ..there are pages of comments/complaints about it on the V1000 forum !

Thanks for all the replies. There's a lot of love for the bike. I am used to the adventure style, I put 15000 miles on a tiger explorer and loved every mile of it but, like the gtr, they are a bit top heavy.

I will be arranging another test ride in grimsby and I've just arrived back from Barrie Robsons in york but they were shut. I had a long talk with John yesterday but never thought to ask if they work sundays lol

The general consensus is it's a good bike, I just need time on the bike to get used to a different way of going through the gears. I found when not using the clutch, the gear lever really does need to be shoved home.

To be honest, the excuse of my foot slipping on the gravel and nearly dropping it is just really a way of starting the process of changing the bike hahaha. Do I need another bike, no, but do I want a gs, YES, I was sold after my first overtake, that is some slug of torque!

I am well known for not rushing into anything, back in 2003 I spent half a day walking between a red and blue vfr vtec in the showroom, I eventually bought the blue one then, a year later, I bought the red one lol

Ignore your issues with the gear shift assist your just not used to it, test ride the bike as though it doesnt have GSAP, use the clutch on all gear changes.
You can figure out how to shift smoothly later if you buy the bike.

I bought mine in June never tried to use gear shift assits until after its first service.
When i did start using it I had exactly the same experience as you it was difficult to change up or down I actually thought i was doing some serious damage too the gearbox.

However I have been away on it doing 2000 miles in europe and getting familiar with the shifting did take a little while but now its silky smooth, I can change from 1st - 6th with no problem without the clutch although 2nd can sometimes clunk. Changing down is also ok but i do use the clutch from time to time depending on situation. especially into lower gears.

I get on ok with the Quickshifter. it is smooth enough most of the time, the only frequent issue (once or twice per ride) is a flat refusal to downshift, I have always put it down to user error but maybe it isnt.

Ignore your issues with the gear shift assist your just not used to it, test ride the bike as though it doesnt have GSAP, use the clutch on all gear changes.
You can figure out how to shift smoothly later if you buy the bike.

I bought mine in June never tried to use gear shift assits until after its first service.
When i did start using it I had exactly the same experience as you it was difficult to change up or down I actually thought i was doing some serious damage too the gearbox.

However I have been away on it doing 2000 miles in europe and getting familiar with the shifting did take a little while but now its silky smooth, I can change from 1st - 6th with no problem without the clutch although 2nd can sometimes clunk. Changing down is also ok but i do use the clutch from time to time depending on situation. especially into lower gears.

Thanks for that. It's true, it's just time on the bike once I've pulled the trigger and have one in the garage. I had a year off bikes and when I got the gtr I was a bit nervous, it's like a comfy pair of shoes now. I try and find any excuse to get out on the bike these days.

I am booked in for a test ride at another dealer this weekend, for a couple of hours this time. The only problem is they only have the adventure model. I'm 6' and 14 'ish' stone so it's pretty much made for me.

I am booked in for a test ride at another dealer this weekend, for a couple of hours this time. The only problem is they only have the adventure model. I'm 6' and 14 'ish' stone so it's pretty much made for me.

So why is that a problem? just do it ;)

"Having covered nearly 14k miles now for me I use the clutch from 1 - 2 and sometime 3 depending how many revs....too many and its like a prancing carthorse with a firework up its arse
Also helps on mine if you load it up for upshifts"

That is EXACTLY what I was riding last week hahaha

I really liked the torque, I can't be bothered with 10000+ red lines anymore

Last edited:
Minty, go and have an extended test on a KTM 1290 adventure s. You'll never even look at a GS again.

...and before settling on the GS, you should have a look at the V4 Multistrada as well ;)

It probably is a very good bike but it's not really for me plus I have to draw the line somewhere regarding cost etc. And the ktm is just a stra6no on looks alone lol

I had a good couple of hours on a gsa from york yesterday (they didn't have a standard gs to try) but before I went off on the test ride, I had 15 mins with one of the mechanics talking about my previous test ride in grimsby.

It looks like it genuinely was my fault that the previous test was so bad. He really made sure I knew how to use a quick shifter. Previously I was backing off the power and then shifting like I do on the gtr and it was this that was upsetting the bike.

The test on the gsa was like night and day compared to the first test ride. I used the clutch from 1 to 3 then clutchless up to top and fully shutting off I could change down to 2nd absolutely fine.

I really enjoyed the ride apart from feeling a bit cramped by the time I got back, but that turned out to be the seat on fully low position.

Engine, suspension, handling, brakes are all spot on.

Does anyone of 6' own a lowered chassis? All they have in the showroom at the minute are low chassis bikes or gsa's From what they were telling me, it's the whole bike that is lowered approx 25mm, the seat/peg distance is the same.

I am not rushing into spending big bucks but I am close to signing up. The only real thing stopping me is the move from jap 4's. Other than triumph triples and a few v4's it's all I have owned. The boxer is a nice engine and I know it's just time in the saddle. I have a mate with a bmw r1200r and he says the same, they do grow on you.

Oh and one last thing, I would have to upgrade to a puig screen or similar. The buffeting even on the gsa was way too much and I wear custom earplugs.

I'll keep updating until I go either way. And one last last thing, how are bmw dealers for discounting. I may wait until closer to the end of the year and see if that brings any incentives, I know it does with the cars but not sure about bikes.

One more thing, just like columbo lol I was watching a video on youtube and I thought I did hear it mentioned that the gsa has a heavier flywheel compared to the standard 1250 gs. I did ask the mechanic in york and he said both engines are the same, it's just suspension/bodywork etc that differs.

I'll keep updating until I go either way. And one last last thing, how are bmw dealers for discounting. I may wait until closer to the end of the year and see if that brings any incentives, I know it does with the cars but not sure about bikes.

You can bargain with a trade-in or try for free servicing or discounted luggage/accessories. You should at least try and get a discount at a quarter-end - you might be lucky.

BMW UK strongly discourage poaching from other territories by means of heavy discounting of bikes. If that happened, the big, high-volume city dealerships would get all the trade and put the smaller ones out of business.

Dealers do not need to discount the GS anyway. The R18 might be a different matter - but that would be a national discount.

My own experience was that I got a good discount on a new bike by telling the salesman that I was not remotely interested in changing!

Minty, my 2020 GS 1250 TE is a 'low suspension ' bike, I'm just over 6 foot tall, I also have a low seat fitted. The reason for this is because I have a knackered hip and the 'lower' set up provides more confidence

The 1250 engine is remarkable and I say that after riding GTR 1400s and also Versys 1000s

There is a choice of screens to choose from, so you shouldn't be disappointed.

Good luck and keep us posted

If the brain cells still serve me correctly the seats come in the following varieties

Low

Normal

High

Comfort low

Comfort Normal

Comfort High

Each seat can be fitted in a low or high configuration on the bike due to the adjustment bar

at the front and rear of the seat mount

So 12 different varients

And if you need it, there is also an ultra low seat available

so plenty of choice

However, you dont want one ,because all your doing is finding excuses not to buy one ;)

Back
Top Bottom