First go with the Motorrad Connected app…..

A long(ish) 275 miles today, alll good, with no freezes.

I think I have now got the hang of recalculate and I think I might have noticed something about arriving at a mid-route via point, ie. a point I have created in a bespoke route in BaseCamp and then transferred into the Connected app. More to follow…..

Things I think I have learned…..

A. Arriving at a mid-route via paint

I think I might have noticed a very brief chequered flag pop up but then vanish. To be honest I wasn’t particularly looking at the TFT screen as I was more interested in finding a place to park. I need to do more investigation into this.

(B) Recalculation

I create my own bespoke routes. Into them I sometimes pin some via points (as Garmin calls them) ie points I have told the dumb software I must pass through. An example might be a cafe or restaurant I want to stop at.

If you go off-route, for example as I did today at Peronne in order to get fuel, the Connected app automatically gets you back onto your bespoke route as quickly and as directly as possible.

If you go off-route and miss a via point, the app seems to do its best to keep redirecting you until you do pass through it. After a while though I think it gives up (I think it maybe only gives up when the via point is behind you) and simply directs you back onto your bespoke route. I think this because this afternoon I deliberately missed a via point by staying on a motorway. Here’s how:

On my bespoke route I was to leave Peronne and pick up the motorway north towards Calais, then leave at I think junction 7, to go cross country to a cafe (via point) at Desvres and then on to St Omer and my hotel. I deliberately stayed on the motorway, not exiting at junction 7. At each subsequent junction, the Connected app wanted me to leave the motorway. In parallel, the estimated arrival time and remaining distance to my final destination was getting later and the mileage longer, just as you would expect. I eventually exited the motorway at junction 4, three junctions further on or about 30 miles from junction 7. The app’s first instruction to me on leaving at junction 4 was to go to the next roundabout and exit on a D road towards Desvres. I can only assume that it was trying to take me back to go to the via point cafe. I ignored this instruction and exited the roundabout, taking the road to St Omer and my final destination instead. The app had a couple of goes at turning me around and then appeared to give up, routing me instead to my hotel in St Omer, where my bespoke route finished. The arrival time shortened by about a hour and the remaining distance shortened too, just as you’d expect it would.

I might be wrong but this is how it seemed to work to me. As I don’t have a large TFT screen, I can’t see a map of the route nor of the recalculated route, so I am having to guess a bit. Hopefully, I am on the right lines.

One thing I did notice was that the Connected app tracked some junctions better than my Garmin device. What does that mean?

Regular users of Garmin devices when running bespoke routes might notice an ‘off route’ announcement on some junctions. There is one road junction on my regular route into Chimay, where it always happens and on some motorway junctions. It doesn’t bother me particularly, as I have auto-recalculation turned off, so there is no danger of the device correcting its duff information. When it happened on my last jaunt, I noticed the the Connected app didn’t think I was off route.

Back
Top Bottom