Peter Hammond in Cirencester binned by Yamaha

wessie

Reaction score
Peter Hammond Motorcycles in Cirencester will cease as a Yamaha dealer at the end of the month

https://mailchi.mp/5d7084e14026/not...aDVX7Eqvt29kpRjkXV3xGxEWcINfKxlxrr2-1AVz38cGk

Another small dealer not wishing to become a corporate clone has been binned by Yamaha.

[FONT=&quot]"[/FONT]This isn't a decision that has been taken lightly or made easily. Unfortunately in the current climate we do not feel that implementing a costly internal & external VI (Visual Identity) programme is feasible and therefore we will no longer fit in with the Yamaha vision for the future. As this is a requisite requirement going forward it sadly means that after 50 years as a fully-fledged dealer we have decided to call time on our partnership."

Hopefully Peter Hammond and staff will carry on like my local dealer Spa Motorcycles and make a go of it with other makes and servicing as they have an excellent reputation.

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Across the board the big manufacturers forget Who ! their original customers were

Image is Nothing!!

Reputation is far more Important !

Just noticed Frasers in Gloucester have dropped Yamaha - which explains why the dealer from Worcester has opened a branch in new premises on an industrial estate at the back of the airport.

Gloucestershire has gone from having three Yamaha dealers to one corporate identikit set-up in a large shed.

Such a shame for Hammonds, they’re a great local dealer and I’ve had a few bikes from them, their used bikes are always nice.

My local (ex) Yamaha dealer did exactly the same, weren't prepared to do as they asked so told them to feck off.

BMW did the same years ago, Honda have done it too. It is a great shame but it is the way things have gone and there is nothing we can do about if.

I bought my first bike from Peter Hammond in 1968 when my folks were out .....I was told I could never get a bike, to dangerous etc, and then my dad came home on an old bonnie!!
Rang round the shops , while they were out and Peter had a bantam for £18, begged my dad and eventually he gave in, turned out he was a mate of Peters and bought the bantam for £13.
The old storeman knew all the British bike part numbers by memory, I used to get dropped off there as the queue took so long for parts.
Just a few if many memories of an proper bike shop.Legends and shame about Yamaha causing this kind of problem.

i used to deliver M/c weekly to Peter Hammonds ..... when i was a paperboy.

Used to get my Puch spares there , when i was old enough to have a Maxi !

Peter Hammond Motorcycles in Cirencester will cease as a Yamaha dealer at the end of the month

https://mailchi.mp/5d7084e14026/not...aDVX7Eqvt29kpRjkXV3xGxEWcINfKxlxrr2-1AVz38cGk

Another small dealer not wishing to become a corporate clone has been binned by Yamaha.

[FONT=&quot]"[/FONT]This isn't a decision that has been taken lightly or made easily. Unfortunately in the current climate we do not feel that implementing a costly internal & external VI (Visual Identity) programme is feasible and therefore we will no longer fit in with the Yamaha vision for the future. As this is a requisite requirement going forward it sadly means that after 50 years as a fully-fledged dealer we have decided to call time on our partnership."

Hopefully Peter Hammond and staff will carry on like my local dealer Spa Motorcycles and make a go of it with other makes and servicing as they have an excellent reputation.

[FONT=&quot]

This tells us that here is insufficient money in selling new motorcycles - and their associated finance packages - to justify the cost of a refit.

It is a very odd way for Yamaha to go about increasing their market share. I suspect the sales growth in the Far East is, for Yamaha, reducing the UK to a has-been market limited to pizza delivery lads on 125's.

This tells us that here is insufficient money in selling new motorcycles - and their associated finance packages - to justify the cost of a refit.

It is a very odd way for Yamaha to go about increasing their market share. I suspect the sales growth in the Far East is, for Yamaha, reducing the UK to a has-been market limited to pizza delivery lads on 125's.

Well, it's not always economic for small shops in quaint market towns to remain profitable with such corporate constraints. By consolidating the business from three outlets into one the new dealer might be profitable as they will get all of the service business as well as sales. Such consolidation is a factor for all retail, not just the motor trade.

Motor manufacturers factor in plenty of cost incurred by dealers in their financial plans... Small places won't/ can't keep up with the corporate shite after a while as the higher they jump the higher the bar gets... Classic carrot and stick... My boss and his family got out of cars for the same reason and they had been going longer than 50 years and had a very loyal following...

We've redirected and very well too... Hopefully these guys will have their own independent set up and probably do very well too...

Ps how many of you own Apple products etc...?😉 It's all the same game...

Apart from preferring to spend my money with local businesses I like to talk to the person who has done the work on my bike. I get this at Hammonds. I bought an ex demonstrator and I know the man who put the first 150 miles on it. I trust Hammonds much more than I ever trusted BMW Gloucester who did the first few services on my GS.

Just stumbled across this thread (been off-site a few years). That’s sad news, I bought my Tmax scooter from Dave Hammond (multiple Dakar competitor) son of Peter, and their whole shop was pure class. Everything from the gentleman’s handshake on the deal to the store man in the old coat that knew every part and the after sales phone call to check I got home okay and was happy with the bike. They even mailed me a new panel afterwards as one had a crack in it. If only they were local to me I would use them all the time, I hope they continue to trade and be successful.

Back
Top Bottom