R80 Mono / R80g/s Swingarms

VAL. H.

Thrower of cats at pigeons
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As some may have gathered. I'm in the thinking period of looking at some modifications to my 89 R80 Mono Sidcar outfit. I'm looking at giving the whole outfit about a suspension lift, for better clearence on some of the local trails we have here in mid west Wales.

I'm currently thinking about the rear end. I've already been told about some who have fitted an extension block into their g/s swing arm, which I think is the way forward.

The g/s has the extra hight I'm after. I notice it's swingarm has the shock mounted on it, where the Monos shock is mounted on the final drive.

Questions.

Are the g/s and the Mono swingarms the same length?

Would it simply be a case of adding a shock mount to the Monos swingarm (along with the extension block)?

Is there any difference between the two bikes drive shafts?

Finaly, Is there anyone one here who would be interestead and able to making for me, the extension block and extended the driveshaft?

Val.

AFAIK
The swingarms are the same,
My ext block has the shock mount on it.
When I did the mods to 3 bikes I stuck with the standard prop but instead extended the drive spline at the end (less chance of introducing a weak spot on the shaft.

I love that bike Mikey, I fancy building something similar at some stage. What frame/motor did you use as a starting point?

Could be yours:D
This was the prototype for three that were built.
Lifting and tipping the motor is not as straightforward as it would ,on first impressions seem.
I’ll make sure it’s up at the workshop next time I see you,have a go on it.:thumby:

I love that bike Mikey, I fancy building something similar at some stage. What frame/motor did you use as a starting point?
IIRC ,the frame was an RT.
The motor was RS,,heavy flywheel,with omega race pistons ,RS 40mm port heads,and a moorespeed 328 cam.
It’s a very angry motor,it revs like mad with loads of torque.

Could be yours:D
This was the prototype for three that were built.
Lifting and tipping the motor is not as straightforward as it would ,on first impressions seem.
I’ll make sure it’s up at the workshop next time I see you,have a go on it.:thumby:

I’ll definitely take you up on that offer!

Back
Top Bottom