Brake failure warning - my turn! 2011 TC GSA

Well done. That’s the first time you’ve confirmed your bike had ABS/TCS/ESS. Previously all you said was that you didn’t have any ABS/TCS…. There was no mention of you having it and that it no longer worked ….. I answer emails, PM’s and phone calls, a large majority expect me to know which bike they have and it’s specification without giving me a single clue. You need a great deal of detail diagnosing problems when the vehicle involved isn’t in front of you. The Jess detail and the more people involved the more potential for feck-ups. Ambiguity and remote diagnoses can be the mother of all feck up’s .. Hope you get it sorted.
Thanks steppers. I plan to get hold of a replacement sensor...then into a warm garage to - I hope - sort it.

But I get your point and agree, when the bike isn't in front of you, it's nigh impossible to make a useful contribution.

It seems I omitted to say I " no longer" have abs - as a result of the fault. So I stand corrected!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Just a quick note. You mentioned 200ml of oil in the FD. I believe the recommended amount is 180ml now.

Just a quick note. You mentioned 200ml of oil in the FD. I believe the recommended amount is 180ml now.
Yes. Aware of that one. Just being a bit casual with my remarks. Though, I do wonder about 4 teaspoons worth and why that makes a difference from their (BMW) original calculation? I'd love to know!

I was led to believe that in the early days when BMW were experiencing weeping from the final dive oil seals that their cure was to reduce the amount of oil to 180 ml.
I have always used 200 ml without a problem.

I was led to believe that in the early days when BMW were experiencing weeping from the final dive oil seals that their cure was to reduce the amount of oil to 180 ml.
I think mine usually ends up at about 190. I've drained it there times before this trip and each time on the measuring jug shows about 195, perhaps 200 if you include the miniscus. But I'm not sure how much of that is flipping water!

I plan to change the oil again while I'm here but this time I'm going to warm the whole FD on the hope it helps separate the water so it drains out

they put a new seal on mine and its not done it since

Do you know if this was before they introduced the vent?

Yes it was before they introduced the vent. The vent was introduced when the moved the wheelside bearing into the oil bath. 2010.
The internal cavity was also altered.
I fitted a vent pipe to an early unit with the pipe exiting at the back under the top box , this did not work as it was chucking a small amount of oil out even with a separation chamber fitted half way up.
Ended up riding till the transmission got hot and then plugged the vent pipe to cause a small vacuum in the FD. all a bit of a pointless exercise. :blast

Small update. New rear sensor fitted. All back to normal (meaning I now have ABS and TCS restored ).

Changed the oil again - in an effort to get rid of the emulsified % left in there. Very little water left this time, but lots of 'dirt' in it - black, whispy stuff. Clean magnet in drain plug. Can't work out quite what it is? For another thread!

Sorry. Meant to add to the above but missed the timing to edit.

To change the sensor, no need to remove the tank. The cable eventually runs to its next connector just forward of the top, rear shock bolt, but it's under the frame, so a little tricky to refit the new cable ties. I've secured the connector block NOT the cables. But very easy job

Tip: photograph the old cable tie positions to remind yourself where to refit them!

welcome your thoughts on whats happening here....

A change by a german motorcycle manufacturer, only in one market (where oddly the class action law suits have very big claws), how can you just remove this mounting bolt if it was actually necessary, and then why have they only done this improvement for one market ?

New model year bikes before Production Date July 17, 2020

TSB

SITUATION
During assembly, an additional mounting bolt was installed on the ABS pressure modulator instead of
a plastic rivet. This changes the vibration behavior of the ABS modulator. When the motorcycle is
frequently used at very high engine speeds, vibration damage to the components could occur.
CORRECTION
The additional bolt must be removed and a plastic fastener (rivet) must be installed in its place.

the older bikes always had the plastic bit, so its reverting later USA bikes (I presume from accidental european designed to fail spec) back to "USA standards" ?

Mine went all ape because I hadn't clipped the cable in just by the brake disc, it just rubbed over a few miles then all went Blackpool on the dash. East to fix and cheap too. just one of those things that you need to check when putting things back together.

Well, easy fix we can agree on. But 'cheap' not!

Mine went all ape because I hadn't clipped the cable in just by the brake disc, it just rubbed over a few miles then all went Blackpool on the dash. East to fix and cheap too. just one of those things that you need to check when putting things back together.

My rear speed sensor went tits up for no obvious reason a few years ago, it was about £80 to replace IIRC.

Can't believe it. I'm back with this one again

Looked for my own post to get a date. So this new OEM replacement rear sensor lasted almost exactly 2yrs!?@#€&!

Now in Italy. Leaving the house at crack of dawn heading to the Eurotunnel I get the brake failure warning light... Was on the bike the day before and all was good. Already checked the bike over. All was good. Speedo came alive soon after the warning. So this old pattern was already familiar. I carried on, for another 1100 miles.

I've now had the GS-911 on it and yes, ABS fault codes are there (also a couple on the flappy valve - interesting). Cleared them all. I also got the wheel off and had a look at the sensor and it's cable (immediately around the FD). All looked clean and very good. I had half wondered if I'd find a sensor covered in metal fragments, meaning the obvious. But zero. Nice and clean, also the wheel is free of any play.

Anyone got any ideas why a nearly new (it's no longer brand new as it's 2 years old now!) would cause it to fail all on its own?

I still need to check further along the cable where it connects with the main loom...

How near to 2 years old. Over or under. Should have a 2 year warranty if from BMW

How near to 2 years old. Over or under. Should have a 2 year warranty if from BMW
That is interesting... November will be the full 2yrs... Thanks to your suggestion I've managed to dig out the receipt.

It was €110 last time, same item now coming out at €148 with postage!!!

Thanks .
Will let you know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom