Autobahn Winter Minibreak Suggestions

N111BJG

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a few unsupervised days coming up in early December.

A swift few miles on some autobahns to stretch the legs of my 911 seems eminently better use of time than staying home and watching the telly whilst ‘Just Eating’.

I have driven in Germany many times, but never without a human speed limiter in the passenger seat.

I’m dropping the ‘speed limiter’ off in Bath on Sunday afternoon & need to collect her from Paddington at 1pm ish on Wednesday. I realise I’ll only have a few hours on the autobahn, which is fine if that’s on unrestricted and relatively uncongested stretches.

It looks feasible in the time available but where should I go ?

the bit between hamburg and berlin is very good fun... also past berlin towards poland is usually empty.... long sweeping bends but be aware it's deer season....

also the weather can be abit.... yayayyayyyaa... so giving it the beans could leave a nasty skidmark....!

Head top the Isle of Sylt via Denmark? Take a photo of the car outside that retro looking Porsche showroom?

Make sure you take some snow socks for the tyres. the Polizei won't appreciate it if you're on summer tyres if there's a bit of snow

Heidelberg is one of my favorite places. I seem to recall the M5 south of there was quite a quick road.

https://autobahnspeedhunter.com/

Tap on the map and the road numbers pop-up.

I have no idea how up-to-date it is.

Drop your wife off in Bath (if I was going to Germany, I wouldn’t start from there, as the old joke goes) on Sunday afternoon. You don’t say what time this is. Hightail to Folkestone for a (late?) Chunnel crossing to France. Check the train times, as there might be only one or two trains an hour. Book yourself a ‘wide vehicle’ crossing, to save you agonising over kerbing * your wheels and / or hitting the toilet boxes **

Drive off in France on Sunday night and get yourself a room at the very basic but perfectly adequate Ibis Budget in, perhaps, St Omer. But this all depends on where in Germany you intend to drive to, prior to hooning heaven.

Monday morning, drive off to Germany, stopping at leisure for breakfast / lunch / flower pressing and/or anything else you fancy doing.

Where abouts….. That’s up to you, the weather and how far you want to go….. Berlin is not really feasible so I think I’d maybe head to somewhere where, when I left the unlimited motorway, I’d find some decent country roads to hoon down and / or a decent hotel. It might be an idea to cross into Germany at say Aachen, do a bit of fast motorway down towards Belgium (if there is any) or at least swing back towards Belgium sort of way, to find a hotel for Monday night.

Tuesday, return via the Chunnel, to pick up wife from Paddington, if the times match. You don’t say what time her train arrives, nor likewise what time you depart from Bristol, so it is impossible to know if this timetable even works.

* Doing a Kathy. Kathy Kirby….. get it? I’ll get me coat…….

** Not a lot of people realise that the passageway the cars drive down, has a sort of chicane by the toilet boxes which, if you follow it, makes life much easier in a wide bodied car. Most bods just go straight and make their lives hard. Or just book a wide bodied crossing, which really is easiest.

Drop your wife off in Bath on Sunday afternoon. You don’t say what time this is. Hightail to Folkestone crossing to France.
Drive off in France on Sunday night...
Saturday morning, drive off to Germany...
Sunday hoon about in Germany...
Monday / Tuesday, return via the Chunnel,

You've left me scratching my thick head with my recollection of days of the week....

Just remember the bahn is not unrestricted, where a limit is posted, it will be enforced!

And should you have a mishap over the limit, ( certainly for german insured cars & drivers ) your deemed to be at fault, and i'm told there own insurance wont cover repairs to there vehicle

( even if your fully comp)

You've left me scratching my thick head with my recollection of days of the week....

Me too, I'm reasonably sure I said which car & that wasn't a DeLorean time machine

This is useful though thanks https://autobahnspeedhunter.com/ , I think I'll be in the top left hand corner

As for other answers, I won't be going if weather is crap, so winter tyres will not be an issue

The weather for Aachen, Germany on Monday and Tuesday (assuming it’s this Sunday that this little adventure kicks off with a tearful goodby at Bath in the afternoon *) looks OK, as at this afternoon.

* Barely covering the tears of joy at the prospect of unrestricted autobahn hooning.

I think I'll be in the top left hand corner

Mostly rotten in the top left hand corner - too densely populated. Roads are full.
The A3 to Frankfurt used to be good, but mostly 120/130 limits now. Too many people ogling the ICE that runs beside it.

As for other answers, I won't be going if weather is crap, so winter tyres will not be an issue

Automatic speed limits with winter tyres fitted, dependent on rating:

Attachments

• tempo.JPG
    tempo.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 151
The weather for Aachen, Germany on Monday and Tuesday (assuming it’s this Sunday that this little adventure kicks off with a tearful goodby at Bath in the afternoon *) looks OK, as at this afternoon.

* Barely covering the tears of joy at the prospect of unrestricted autobahn hooning.

Sadly emancipation is three weeks distant, a longer range gloomy weather forecast and threats of Euro COVID curfews are starting to put mockers on my bid for pre Xmas bucket list ticking.

Back
Top Bottom