Still the neatest way to get power into a tank bag or pannier

This looks like a great solution.

We use wad punches at work to cut through 10 mm thick rubber, so as long as you can put a fairly robust piece of wood behind the inside and hit the punch hard and providing there isn't a metal liner it would go through this type of material easily.

IIRC our wad punches are imperial, the sizes would be close to 12, 14, 18 and 24 mm as we are usually cutting holes for 10, 12, 16 mm bolts.

After much arsing about looking at various options I went with this set up on my system 1150 top box. Just fitted today and used waterproof socket and plug so I can still instantly remove it if I want to take the box off. All the usb sockets are the 2.1amp fast charging ones so I can power things up quickly. :thumb2
I will also say a nice new sharp step drill made quick and neat work of making the hole. :thumb2
The socket is under the front near side of the box and there will be a waterproof plug permanently fitted to the bike.

Attachments

• 58AD92A8-5390-4B0F-9546-EE60FF50E168.jpg
    58AD92A8-5390-4B0F-9546-EE60FF50E168.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 245
  • F57A1275-5012-4C81-A38D-DB17B5C5BE61.jpg
    F57A1275-5012-4C81-A38D-DB17B5C5BE61.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 210
Is the male plug going to stay secure in that, having gravity and bumps working against it?

Is the male plug going to stay secure in that, having gravity and bumps working against it?

Yep, it’s the Blue Sea Systems plug that “locks” into the socket with a small sideways twist. The plug also has a rubber waterproof seal on it so no water can get in. :thumb2

I thought it'd be sussed, seeing the research you do.

Well if you’re going to do something, do it properly the first time. :thumb2
Plenty of research first and buy the right thing for the job!:thumb2

I won’t tell you how long I’ve been researching hand held night vision / thermal imaging scopes! :blast

Yep, it’s the Blue Sea Systems plug that “locks” into the socket with a small sideways twist. The plug also has a rubber waterproof seal on it so no water can get in. :thumb2

Udders, me old fruit, do you have a link to the five port USB block shown in this picture, please.

attachment.php

A simple Google with the words 12v 5 port usb block produced.......sorry
a00c09ff40a8761b8a9974796f2e0ca6.jpg

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Blue Sea make some good products.

The Blue Sea socket on Udder’s set up looks quite good and will certainly be waterproof. The only thing that I might be concerned about is the chance of one of the wires breaking if something else lobbed into the top box to caught on them, pulling the lead out of the spade connectors. I’d maybe shrink rap the wires to reduce the chances of it happening. It might even be possible to shrink wrap the socket and the wires together? I guess the Blue Sea waterproof socket is made the way it is, as it is designed to be fitted into a bulkhead of some sort, where the wires behind can’t get caught?

The Powerlet connector is neater at the back perhaps. But now we are getting into fine detail.

It’s good what Udders has made and kind of him to show it, showing what can be done with a bit of effort and imagination. The five way 12 volt USB block is tidy and better than some others I’ve looked at. Based on nothing more than this thread and the very helpful guide of where to buy it (being too lazy to look) I have ordered two up. One for my motorhome and one for my car / bike.

Aah, but since that picture was taken of the install it has been protected with a shield of plastic, cut, shaped and Velcro’d in to stop anything coming into contact with it. :thumb2
I did it with Velcro just in case I needed access to it for any reason. The only exposed part now is the USB power block thingy. :thumb2
It’s plenty strong enough though to protect the wires from any accidental impacts.
I’m not as stupid as I look. Honest. :D

I will also add that the very expensive 12v Blue Sea System socket doesn’t appear to be any different from a much cheaper waterproof 12v socket. Apart from the rubber waterproof cap having the name on it. If I had realised this before I could’ve used one of the identical cheaper ones I already had! :blast
The cheaper ones also have the locking part in them.
The cigarette type plug IS different though having a waterproof rubber seal on it just below the tip. Any other ones I’ve come across doesn’t have this.

https://www.waveinn.com/nautical-fishing/blue-sea-systems-12v-cigarette-lighter-plug/137806816/p

Anyone wanting to do the same as mine DONT buy the Blue Sea System socket. You’ll just be wasting money. Get the cheaper one. It’s exactly the same. :thumb2
https://seamarknunn.com/acatalog/Blue-Sea-12v-Socket-Water-Resistant-1011-MTBSS1011.html
And the cheaper one….
https://sinolec.co.uk/en/cigar-and-...MI-YyUs-b59QIVEM93Ch3_cwetEAQYAyABEgJ4EPD_BwE

A word of warning …

Many of these cheaper sockets have a wide negative contact ( the circular bit of brass that wraps around the inside of the socket) and it is all too easy to push your male plug in at a slight angle thus causing a short circuit - at best this will blow any inline fuse …

Back
Top Bottom