Wondering whether to sell my RKS

Flipfly

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I do love the bike, but obviously I need to invest around £2k to fix the gearbox and I am thoroughly disgusted with HD and their customer service.

So, should I sell it for say £13k as is and cut my losses?

Anyone that knows what they are doing could replace the gear set for around £1k which would mean they would get a bargain, I’d be free of having to spend any money on it and move on to something non HD meaning I wouldn’t have to ever deal with them ever again…which would make me a lot happier.

Just mulling it over and wondered what the collective thought.

Think your audience will be extremely limited trying to sell it as is, not everyone can rebuild a gearbox

Folks who spanner their own bikes tend to either have older (cheaper) bikes or are building a custom on a newer base

Get it fixed at an independent…. Then sell it.

IMO … as it is a great big unknown…… and any buyer may be concerned about what else is wrong…

What year is yours… does it have the transmission vent mod?

What year is yours… does it have the transmission vent mod?

It’s a 2019 and yes it has the primary vent, it’s only done 19k miles, hence I’m thoroughly pissed off with Hd not offering any goodwill on either parts or Labour.

Basically it’s 6th gear that has gone, 1st to 5th are fine, the bike got me back from Andorra with no issues.

It rides fine, no noises, just no drive in 6th.

I’ve been quoted £1500-£2k from Andrew at Thunder Road.

Have you spoken to HD corporate rather than your dealer?

If it's a 2019, then it can only be out of warranty by a few months and the mileage is low. Talk to HD corporate about a reasonable expectation for such an item under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Have you spoken to HD corporate rather than your dealer?

If it's a 2019, then it can only be out of warranty by a few months and the mileage is low. Talk to HD corporate about a reasonable expectation for such an item under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

WOT E SAYS!!

I do love the bike, but obviously I need to invest around £2k to fix the gearbox and I am thoroughly disgusted with HD and their customer service.

So, should I sell it for say £13k as is and cut my losses?

Anyone that knows what they are doing could replace the gear set for around £1k which would mean they would get a bargain, I’d be free of having to spend any money on it and move on to something non HD meaning I wouldn’t have to ever deal with them ever again…which would make me a lot happier.

Just mulling it over and wondered what the collective thought.

I would flog it
Move on

If it was mine i would get it repaired but if you have lost interest in the bike then sell it.

Make a big fuss on Face Ache about it on the HDUK Page, that generally gets things moving.
It soon got my K1600GTL Gear Box Replaced at no Cost to me, and that was on a 30k miles 2011 Bike....

Is that the difference between BMW & H-D Customer Services ?

Maybe, I've not had that many Issues with HD in the 20 odd years I've been running them.
I do know that BMW weren't forthcoming when I went via the Main Dealer though....

If it was mine i would get it repaired but if you have lost interest in the bike then sell it.

This.

If you genuinely like the bike then get it repaired and enjoy another 20k odd miles on it. Shit happens sometimes. :thumb2

£2k will soon be forgotten…. Some people spend that on a waterproof suit…

Just get it done, it will count as an upgrade…… and will give you many more miles…

But……… if you have fallen from grace with it…. Get it fixed and sell it…

This.

If you genuinely like the bike then get it repaired and enjoy another 20k odd miles on it. Shit happens sometimes. :thumb2

£2k will soon be forgotten…. Some people spend that on a waterproof suit…

Just get it done, it will count as an upgrade…… and will give you many more miles…

But……… if you have fallen from grace with it…. Get it fixed and sell it…

Sound advice.

Get it fixed by an Indie and upgrade the gearbox at the same time if you can, then see how you feel once you get back on it again. You’ve previously raved about how much you love riding it and that won’t have changed.

It depends on how you feel about the bike IMO.
I think it would be difficult to sell with a shonky gearbox but once it's fixed if you've fallen out of love with the bike sell it and move on.
On the other hand if you still like it, keep it.
I know an old man who's got an old Harley that spends more time being fixed than it does on the road. It recently let him down 2 days into a trip to France to the extent that his wife had to pick him up at the ferry port. Despite this and the fact that he's continually spunking £100s on it he won't do the sensible thing and move it on.
Some bikes just get under one's skin.

If it’s in good condition what’s it’s worth? Around 15/16k? Not many punters willing to take the risk at £13k I wouldn’t think.

Either bite the bullet and get it sorted, or expect to let it go to a dealer/mechanic for a good bit less.

Back
Top Bottom