2021 RT - A day out on one

Wapping

Reaction score
I took a day out test ride from BMW Park Lane today, London to Suffolk and back to London, mostly on B roads but with some A road and a bit of motorway M11 lobbed in.

First, a confession….. I have never ridden an RT before, so I had no idea what to expect. I quite liked it, with one exception, which I’ll come on to.

What was good?

It’s a very easy bike to ride, so it’s definitely not going to bite anyone. Due to its bulbous fairing it looks big and heavy but it definitely isn’t. At 320 kg my 1600 is much heavier than the 275 kg of the RT. Viewed from the side, once you get past the bulbous front, you really can see that it’s not a big bike at all. When you first sit on it, the big black dashboard fairing seems to dominate the view but you really don’t notice it. The new 10.25 inch TFT is very good but I don’t like the styling of the rev counter. The whirly wheel thing integrates really well, as does the BMW Connected app, which linked to my iPhone (held in a dedicated cubbyhole) with is own wireless charger and cooling fan, no less. I didn’t ride the bike in anything but ‘Dynamic’, other than a short flirtation with ‘Eco mode’ for about five miles along the A406 dual carriage way North Circular coming up to Tesco at Galleons Reach, to top up the fuel before returning the bike. The bike spins up its motor, no question about that, the up / down quick shifter working well. The ergonomics and controls all work well. The bike is easy to put onto and take off its main stand. It is all day long comfortable, the variable screen, heated grips and heated seat working really well. I didn’t try the sound / music /phone or any of that malarkey.

What I do not like and haven’t on each bike I have tried, is the 1250 WC engine. Yes it spins up easily and will pull from 100 mph but I still think it’s a flat twin engineered to perform like an conventional four cylinder bike. I like twins and I like four (and six) cylinder bikes but I want a twin (whether flat or a V) to be different. The WC engine just isn’t.

PS What was slightly disconcerting was the lights staying on when the ignition was turned off. But all was well when I realised that they just do it. Whether it’s some choice setting I have no idea. My car does it, too. I have no idea why.

I took a day out test ride from BMW Park Lane today, London to Suffolk and back to London, mostly on B roads but with some A road and a bit of motorway M11 lobbed in.

First, a confession….. I have never ridden an RT before, so I had no idea what to expect. I quite liked it, with one exception, which I’ll come on to.

What was good?

It’s a very easy bike to ride, so it’s definitely not going to bite anyone. Due to its bulbous fairing it looks big and heavy but it definitely isn’t. At 320 kg my 1600 is much heavier than the 275 kg of the RT. Viewed from the side, once you get past the bulbous front, you really can see that it’s not a big bike at all. When you first sit on it, the big black dashboard fairing seems to dominate the view but you really don’t notice it. The new 10.25 inch TFT is very good but I don’t like the styling of the rev counter. The whirly wheel thing integrates really well, as does the BMW Connected app, which linked to my iPhone (held in a dedicated cubbyhole) with is own wireless charger and cooling fan, no less. I didn’t ride the bike in anything but ‘Dynamic’, other than a short flirtation with ‘Eco mode’ for about five miles along the A406 dual carriage way North Circular coming up to Tesco at Galleons Reach, to top up the fuel before returning the bike. The bike spins up its motor, no question about that, the up / down quick shifter working well. The ergonomics and controls all work well. The bike is easy to put onto and take off its main stand. It is all day long comfortable, the variable screen, heated grips and heated seat working really well. I didn’t try the sound / music /phone or any of that malarkey.

What I do not like and haven’t on each bike I have tried, is the 1250 WC engine. Yes it spins up easily and will pull from 100 mph but I still think it’s a flat twin engineered to perform like an conventional four cylinder bike. I like twins and I like four (and six) cylinder bikes but I want a twin (whether flat or a V) to be different. The WC engine just isn’t.

PS What was slightly disconcerting was the lights staying on when the ignition was turned off. But all was well when I realised that they just do it. Whether it’s some choice setting I have no idea. My car does it, too. I have no idea why.

It's certainly great to have the choice of 2 very different powerplants in the BMW Touring line-up.

You must have a very light K16 as the BMW website is showing 343 kg ready to roll compared to the 279 kg of the base-model RT. However a typical RT with the D-ESA weighs in at roughly 8 kg more.

4 or 5 years ago the weight of some machines went up as the authorities insisted that the wet weight included all standard luggage. The RT and GT's suffered - as did the FJR1300, Kawasaki GTR1400 etc. - whereas the GS's did not.

Delayed lights on , is a "comfort/safety feature"

The marketing idea is you park on your drive in front of your front door,

and the car/bike provides light so you can walk safely to your font door, and open it without fumbling for what key you need to

open the door,

The other side of the package so to speak, is so you can find your car / bike when its parked,

As the lights coming on when you press the fob, illuminates the area in front of your car / bike and guides you to your bike /

car. Normally the delay of lights on/off is selectable in the vehicle options,

its a varient of he puddle light in the bottom of some car doors,

The sales pitch being you can see the ground and avoid any puddles when you get out of your car,

quite why you failed to see the big puddle when you parked your car still puzzles me ;)

its a varient of he puddle light in the bottom of some car doors,

The sales pitch being you can see the ground and avoid any puddles when you get out of your car,

quite why you failed to see the big puddle when you parked your car still puzzles me ;)

It’s alternately called a ‘drainhole’ light.. it’s so you can see the now out of reach keys/phone that you dropped down the drain you parked over as you got out of the car.

It’s alternately called a ‘drainhole’ light.. it’s so you can see the now out of reach keys/phone that you dropped down the drain you parked over as you got out of the car.

Yes there is that too, and ive come close a few times :blast: lol

I didn't think the average 1250rt rider parked on the drive outside their front door... Or even, heaven forbid, on street parking...😁

I saw an RT yesterday at the local bike cafe. It has external speakers in the front fairing, can you really hear them at 70mph?

Nice looking bike!

I saw an RT yesterday at the local bike cafe. It has external speakers in the front fairing, can you really hear them at 70mph?

Nice looking bike!

No you can't.

I didn't think the average 1250rt rider parked on the drive outside their front door... Or even, heaven forbid, on street parking...��

Why is that then, have you done a survey?. I park anywhere and use the bike all year around. Good job we are all not average then :)

Nice looking bike!

For me the only purpose of the speakers is to provide the wires to connect up my Autocom intercom system. Otherwise I'd have to use the Bluetooth option.

Why is that then, have you done a survey?. I park anywhere and use the bike all year around. Good job we are all not average then :)

It ... Was... A... Joke...😁👍 To do with the lights staying on... Much in the tradition of older UKGSER...😉

Nice looking bike!

The bike comes as std with the speaker grills in place , doesn’t mean it had speakers though. The give away sign is the Aerial on the Audio version of the RT. On the non audio version , the space behind those speaker grills is great.i used to keep my airman pump and tyre puncture kit behind one of them

The bike comes as std with the speaker grills in place , doesn’t mean it had speakers though. The give away sign is the Aerial on the Audio version of the RT. On the non audio version , the space behind those speaker grills is great.i used to keep my airman pump and tyre puncture kit behind one of them

You definitely won't hear the speakers at any speed if it doesn't have them.
Think I had better check. ;)

I had an autocom fitted on my RT a few years ago now, and the nice folk at Shirlaws in Aberdeen fitted a micro-switch to swap from speakers to the Autocom, a simple solution but it worked nicely.

:thumb

The aerial is internal on the new model so not visible

Back
Top Bottom