Adding lights and heated grips to a 93 R100GSPD can the electrics cope ?

Back in the mid to late 80's I was working as a DR and treated myself to a brand new R80RT in white, thankfully it had a kickstart as by mid afternoon riding with my lights on and heated grips the battery was flat, I used to wheel it in to the office every night and put it on charge, it was a BBC bike, one of about 20 of them that had everything it needed fitted, this one was still left at Park Lane so I picked it up at what seemed like a good price, good bike apart from the charging and the most uncomfortable seat, it replaced a CX500 which was all day comfortable

:beerjug:

I'm surprised you actually manged to start it using the kickstart :D

I despatched for 2 years on an old airhead back in the mid eighties, never had the lights switched in during the day when in London. Never suffered with a flat battery, and my bike had the small 20amp/hr battery.

Personally would not have gone this route unless the OEM alternator was goosed. LED head and tail light bulbs work plus the “police” high output regulator/rectifier is enough. I run heated jacket and grips with lights on no problem.

Maybe but I want to get it right first time, if Jenny is on the back with here heated jacket which draws more than mine it would defiantly struggle to keep the battery charged

Maybe but I want to get it right first time, if Jenny is on the back with here heated jacket which draws more than mine it would defiantly struggle to keep the battery charged

I suspect you are right if you are running two jackets plus grips plus lights….that would probably push the system past it’s limit.

I changed to an Enduralast back in 2010 as I was running heated gloves and jacket. This with the lights on meant town riding did indeed flatten the battery.
I now use a heated "shirt" that draws 48 watt and imho, better than a liner.
heatlayer

Mounting of the reg/rec to keep it in the breeze.

Attachments

• regrec.jpg
    regrec.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 88
On my own with the police regulator, and an LED headlight bulb it would probably cope if all I fitted were 10w LED Denali D2's and my heated body warmer which draws just under 2 amps, but add heated grips and better lights and the system will not cope plus when Jenny is on the back her heated jacket draws a lot more current, Enduralast option looked like the best option without spending £800

I will look at the mounting of the regulator when I get time to get on with working on the bike

FWIW I have an Endurolast diode board (not the full monty) and have been out over the past few weeks/500 miles with headlights, heated grips, Keiss heated waistcoat but not spots. I've had no issues and the bike starts well after sitting a few days between jaunts (no trickle charger). This is a 1991 R100GS.

Back
Top Bottom