My turn for a brake warning question

Paul Wakefield

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am sure this has been answered somewhere but I haven't found it.

Riding home the other day, the yellow warning light and red brake light came on. Both steady, not flashing. No message on the display. A combination not covered in the manual. Brakes appear OK but have not tested ABS. Bike is 2011 R1200GSA, 55,000 miles. The bike is due in the garage tomorrow anyway but it would be good to be forearmed with likely issues - ABS unit or ABS sensor leap to mind. Is that way off track? Or is there anything else likely?

Thoughts wlecome.

Paul

if you have ASC and then get a faulty ABS sensor, your should get a mega stutter and an unrideable bike - till you cancel TC then its 100% normal (but without ASR) - and on diagnostics it should say front ABS sensor fault even though its usually the rear wire broken

if the lights come on and and the ABS stops functioning (just stand on the back brake in a straight line and leave a back line to see if its dead - if you get a pathetic foot massage its working), if it skids you have the std ABS module fault with the brushes gummed up like they designed it (2k at BMW or one hole and some contact cleaner - till you get round to the 5 hr hell getting it off the bike and either stripping as per youtube videos or https://www.ecutesting.com/product-catalogue/bmw/ )

Thank you. Well that rules out the sensor as all appeared totally normal apart from the lights. I will try the rear wheel test tomorrow. The damn thing could have waited until after i had got the MOT out of the way.

always worth a skid test - ABS can work as it doesn't know a naff sensor from a slippery road, but TC (ASC) compares front rear ABS speed sensor reading to see if the back is trying to hard

Back
Top Bottom