Winter project!!

iandavid

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My BIL's 1938 BSA 500 Gold Star. It was No.8 in the build. He wants an oily rag restoration. Gonna be fun. The bike is 83 yrs old first registered in Feb 1938 with a sidecar. So far I've counted 12 grease nipples and I'm sure there are more.

Attachments

• IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 539
Looking forward to seeing this bike progressing.
I can degrease and clean it but no polishing, painting or chroming. He even wants the seats and rubbers left alone, so it's mainly electrical, mag and dynamo are knackered, cables and general electrics.

It looks in very good condition and prime for an oily rag. Good luck getting parts , these types of bikes are either plentiful or impossible. No Mot history , so even allowing for historic status doesnt look like it has graced the queens roads for a while.

Gorgeous

Looks nicely original. I would refurb the seat, but I haven’t got a huge amount of padding on my arse. Quick clean, oils change, sort the electrics and change the cables, wipe down with an oily rag and enjoy.

Keep us updated on progress.

Does an oily rag resto include fixing the oil leaks? Apologies if there aren’t any ����

More pics

Seat looks to be horse hair covered with leather. The horse hair however covers the bike within horse hair bristles, see top of oil tank pic. . Can anyone suggest a spray that i could use to seal the underneath of the saddle.

Attachments

• IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 225
Carb looks interesting. Does anyone know the model No. Amal website doesn't go back that far. The 2 holes in the side will hopefully give a clue.

Attachments

• IMG_1032.jpg
    IMG_1032.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 222
Valve lifter which you need as the kickstart will hold my weight (90kgs)

Attachments

• IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 193
Spray Mount adhesive would 'fix' the horse hair but I'd be tempted to remove the spring frame before applying.

Spray Mount adhesive would 'fix' the horse hair but I'd be tempted to remove the spring frame before applying.

If it can be separated then maybe cover over the horse hair with thick polythene or suchlike, or gaffa tape ;)

:beerjug:

Ian
The carb looks like a 273 series Amal, which is very similar in setup to the later 276.
With the horse hair carefully unbend the metal clips and you can remove the seat frame from the horse hair and cover. On my old Norton I put a piece of black cloth wich was stuck to the horse hair with spray contact adhesive.