850 GS Adventure - Relocate sat nav mount’s position

Wapping

Reaction score
BMW’s default position for the sat nav’s cradle is via the handlebar clamp.

Whilst it’s OK, I guess some owners would like to see it mounted up higher, above the TFT screen. There is lots on the internet (isn’t there always) about third party mounts that vibrate, mounts that don’t fit, mounts that…. Well, just don’t work. After some digging around, I have discovered that BMW do an official alternative mount, which:

A. Doesn’t vibrate.

B. Is designed to fit perfectly.

C. Mounts the cradle above the TFT screen.

D. Works

It is part number: 65 90 8544 610 ‘Emergency Services GPS bracket’.

I have this set up. It is a major improvement on the handlebar-clamp arrangement, which I have on my Turban.

All of Wapping’s points are correct - plus with the higher mount you also get the benefit of being able to see the satnav too!

It’s worth mentioning that it only works with the adjustable screen mount that is standard on the 850GS/GSA. After trying other solutions I bought this for my 750GS. Not cheap (over £500 including the OEM tinted touring screen) but is the only screen and GPS solution that works.
It’s also the case that the GPS lead is tied down around the headstock and then back up to a connector on the lower right side of the dash. It’s a lot cleaner to take the cable out and re-route from the new mount position in behind the screen mount and back to the connector. I was lazy so just looped it below the existing connector location and TC able tied it in place. If you don’t then on full lock the cable can get stretched.

I also have the official BMW relocation mount and can confirm its as Wapping states.

Official BMW relocation mount on an F850GS. Far better than the original (and IMHO, dangerous) location. A Wapping said it does the job well, without vibration but it's very expensive at c£110 for a basic bracket

Mike

Attachments

• 7A.jpg
    7A.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 739
Having had the opportunity to really try out the TFT screen running the (very good BMW Connected app *) and a Garmin device in the default position, as a part of the handle bar clamp. The device being on the handle bar, isn’t too bad. That being said, I’ll probably move it up, using the dedicated BMW mount.

Thank you Mike R for the picture :thumb

Anyone intending to embark on this major engineering project, the windscreen bolts are T25. The bolts beneath the pull off decorative cover are T30. Remove the windscreen, taking a bit of care that it doesn’t fall on the floor when you remove the last bolt. Pull off the decorative cover, noting which way up it is. Undo the upper two Torx bolts and offer up the mount. Insert the bolts and tighten. You do not need to go mad. Replace the decorative cover, pushing the retaining pins into place. If these are awkward, place a suitable piece of wooden dowel onto top of the pin and give it a tap with a hammer. Replace the windscreen, again don’t go nuts tightening the bolts. Job done.

007617e5d25c46e7ac5028af8e0df496.jpg

00d3d48b7cf69355234a13df0c5e99ac.jpg

1a5bce6889b6647b0c2cb49d552c3da7.jpg

Finally got around to finishing it off. Here it is with the XT, the BMW phone mount cradle and the phone’s BMW Connected app running through the TFT screen.

f5f950ef7d3bf5d015921b111c5fd063.jpg

d0492319c15e7f1d30054e466b7cf4f3.jpg

And the music (not that I am too keen on it on a motorcycle) works from the phone, along with being completely controlled by Siri, which I have never used before…..

ce24e1cd896b9f74fa61532c89ca4f79.jpg

5575027ea329421ec2bc48ba149b4cf2.jpg

Anyone heard of the BMW part "Emergency Services GPS Bracket" Part No 65 90 8544 610???
That seems to be a genuine BM part to relocate above the TFT screen

Anyone heard of the BMW part "Emergency Services GPS Bracket" Part No 65 90 8544 610???
That seems to be a genuine BM part to relocate above the TFT screen

That sounds great, mate. Where did you find out about it?

I just used Google....seems like it's a genuine thing. It was a post on another forum....can't remember which one.

I just used Google....seems like it's a genuine thing. It was a post on another forum....can't remember which one.

Here’s a subtle hint for you….

BMW’s default position for the sat nav’s cradle is via the handlebar clamp.

Whilst it’s OK, I guess some owners would like to see it mounted up higher, above the TFT screen. There is lots on the internet (isn’t there always) about third party mounts that vibrate, mounts that don’t fit, mounts that…. Well, just don’t work. After some digging around, I have discovered that BMW do an official alternative mount, which:

A. Doesn’t vibrate.

B. Is designed to fit perfectly.

C. Mounts the cradle above the TFT screen.

D. Works

It is part number: 65 90 8544 610 ‘Emergency Services GPS bracket’.

As you open your eyes wide in slack jawed awe amazement, raise them as far as post #1 in this very thread.

PS I you do go down this route and do perhaps want to put onto the bar something other than BMW’s own mount, see also:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/577855-850-GSA-Emergency-services-bar-Ram-Mount-and-XT

picking up a 2021 TE 40th Annie model tomorrow and it has the mount on the handlebars so my first job is to do this relocation ,,,,

just to clarify this bracket will fit with no other mods need just bolt on bmw with a nav v plug n play so to speak ?
TIA

picking up a 2021 TE 40th Annie model tomorrow and it has the mount on the handlebars so my first job is to do this relocation ,,,,

just to clarify this bracket will fit with no other mods need just bolt on bmw with a nav v plug n play so to speak ?
TIA

i have added the higher bracket to my 850GS so if you are purchasing the BMW Motorrad mount I can show you how it is done or at least how it should look when finished.

Just had my 750GS low screen replaced with the adjustable touring option and high level sat nav bar.

I have two options for sat navs to add, buy my friends redundant Navigator 6 for a silly price or fit my existing Garmin 345 using the SW Motech 10 mm rail mount. Which should I go for?

Back
Top Bottom