Nav apps for Iphone

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Right, had enough of constantly replacing Garmin Nav 6's on my GS and not trusting them.

Not concerned how to mount it or power it as I have a different set up to most.

So I want an app that works with Mac so I can plot routes and transfer them to my phone.

I don't mind paying a one off fee but don't want a subscription service.

Needs to do all of Europe at least.

Also be nice to have off road mapping.

So it really needs to work like a Garmin really, send from basecamp to the nav, different routing options for faster get me there routes and more interesting routing.

My GS is pre TFT dash so the new BMW app won't work with my bike.

Google maps, you can send routes directly to your phone via sms

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Google maps, you can send routes directly to your phone via sms

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can BUT if you modify a route on your Mac or iPad and then send it to the phone it WILL NOT send the modified version but the original.

Copilot is the one I default to if I want proper mapping.
Doesn't need a connection, maps on the device, etc.
If you're clever you can use one of the European offers to get the full traffic, etc via Germany for pennies.
I paid €12 recently for a years access.

Also have an XT each for use on the enduro bikes.

Berin did a very full review of assorted apps, look for it. Lob into that mix, the latest news and views on the BMW Connected app.

I am still not 100% convinced by the idea of dumping a Garmin or similar GPS device, in favour of loading my bespoke created routes into my iPhone alone. But the arrival of the new, large, TFT screens is starting to interest me.

I have the opportunity to try the Garmin Connect app out this weekend in Belgium, married to the smaller TFT screen on my 850 GSA, along with a separate Nav VI device. By the end of the jaunt I’ll have a better idea how the app and my phone work together. There is a full thread on the Connected app in the Connected section. Given the large number of small TFT screens about in use, I am surprised that there isn’t more comment / news on the app. on these pages. Maybe bods aren’t using it or, if they are, are just limiting their use to “Take me to Tesco” or “Take me 50 miles on windy roads” and don’t really care too much how the app does it?

Unfortunately I'm pre tft so that app doesn't work for me

I doubt there is an app for the Mac but Pocket Earth is an excellent nav app that I have used in Europe, New Zealand and even when airborne over Saudi Arabia!

If you want to create routes on a larger screen and have an iPad they will transfer automatically to a linked iPhone

The app has most of the detail you will find on Ordnance Survey maps, including contours, and data is downloaded for offline use

I did have pocket earth on my phone, didn't put it on my iPad though, will investigate

MyRoute App & MyRoute Navigator would seem to fit the bill - can also use Navigator on Apple CarPlay etc., and I think, download maps although I may be wrong in that regard.

Reinstalled pocket earth on my phone, forgot how good an app it is

Personally I go for the tomtom Go app. You can use their MyDrive to plan routes really easily, both on the phone and the pc and then save it to your devices. Then it’s there in the Go app.
The camera and traffic functionality is second to none too.

Reinstalled pocket earth on my phone, forgot how good an app it is

The version in beta will be out very soon. One of the features is a very much improved routeing engine that is lightning fast if you need any re-routes OTA and also uses up to date OSM data (that Mapquest struggles with)

Since buying my GS 2 years ago, if I've not been using the Nav6 then I've been using the following:

BMW Connected App - Sporadically used, has a tendency to just disconnect and just miss out chunks of a ride, some people have zero issues, some declare it unfit for purpose. But as your bike is pre-TFT then I guess this info is useless.
Waze - If I'm on the bike and I want to get from A to B in the quickest and most efficient way possible, this is my go-to. I find it's traffic avoidance better than Google Maps due to the crowd sourced info fed into it. I use it whether I'm the car or on the bike.
Calimoto - I use this exclusively for planned routes where I want to go a specific way. It's a paid app but I think your can purchase it yearly or monthly, I don't think I've seen a lifetime purchase option. The app has a very basic view but for me I find it very easy to see where I need to go at a glance with the information required. The Calimoto website is pretty good for planning a route, but I often tend to use MyRouteApp to plan it, then export the GPX file into Calimoto which then syncs to the phone. It's never let me down (so far).

Back
Top Bottom