Helmet selection.

Scotsrick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m looking for a helmet in the central Scotland area.

Where will I find the best selection and how are they at negotiating prices?

I don’t really want to go down the mail order route as I’d rather support a physical shop but I also don’t want to fork out an extra £100-200 for the same helmet I can buy online.

I've always found most shops will try their best to match online prices where possible but I don't mind paying a wee bit more for the service, being able to physically try on the helmets for fit and the support you get for any issues that may arise in the future.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

It’s pretty much essential to try helmets on before buying, it needs to match your head not your bike :rob

But seriously, try a few on, you won’t wear a badly fitting lid for long, it can be agony

If you're near Dundee then Murrays have a decent range.

My last two lids were from Infinity in York, sure they have a branch in Glasgow

So which shops have a decent selection?

If you want a BMW lid then Motorrad Central in Dalkeith. Other than that, Saltire in Edinburgh probably have the largest selection, locally.

In years gone by, I'd have pointed you at Forth Gear in South Queensferry but Colin shut up shop. One of the reasons for that was that he'd had more than enough of people coming into the shop to try on helmets and then going and buying them elsewhere.

There's also Two Wheels in Edinburgh. Kirkcaldy Kawasaki and Cupar Suzuki (both are the same company) have a fair selection, here in Fife.

Further afield, J&S in Hamilton.

HTH

If you're near Dundee then Murrays have a decent range.

Do they ?

Always struck me as budget range.

I'm not so sure Dundee is classed as central either.

Two wheels or Saltire in Edinburgh I'd suggest, no idea of weegie shops I'm afraid.

Do they ?

Always struck me as budget range.

I'm not so sure Dundee is classed as central either.

Two wheels or Saltire in Edinburgh I'd suggest, no idea of weegie shops I'm afraid.
Schuberth, Shoei and Simpson to nama a few.

If you buy online you can sit around at home in it for an hour and then return if it is not a good fit. Wearing one for a couple of minutes in a shop is not great, and the big on line retailers have shops as well. I recently bought a new lid, ended up ordering about 6 or 7 before finding the one that was right. Retailers took the returns no problem as long as you don’t remove any labels or damage the packaging. Plus online retailers will have a bigger selection. Eg. Sportsbikeshop or Helmet City. It’s not as if they’re Amazon or some other corporate behemoth crushing the smaller retailers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a follow up to this.

I took a trip to J&A Accessories in Hamilton.

I was quite impressed. They have a lot of stock of helmets and clothing.

I tried on the Shoei Neotec 2 which had caught my eye…what a nice helmet but boy it’s spendy.

Unfortunately they didn’t have my other choice which is the C4 pro.

I’ll probably go back over when I decide to pull the pin and buy.

Just a follow up to this.

I took a trip to J&A Accessories in Hamilton.

I was quite impressed. They have a lot of stock of helmets and clothing.

I tried on the Shoei Neotec 2 which had caught my eye…what a nice helmet but boy it’s spendy.

Unfortunately they didn’t have my other choice which is the C4 pro.

I’ll probably go back over when I decide to pull the pin and buy.

When I bought my last lid after years of using Schuberth I moved back to Shoei and bought a Neotec, I found the PRO version of Schuberth (C3 I think at time) just a bit tight to the point of discomfort, if I remember correctly Schubert sizing for large is 58/59 and shoei is 59/60, I find the shoei very comfortable, at the time I was changing they had just launched the Neotec 2 so I got a great deal online for Neotec, its a brilliant lid.

I'm another C3 user. 6 years of very comfy helmet use. But - very poor ventilation when things warm up.

A few months ago I plucked up courage to buy a Neotec2 online without slogging round 'local' dealers.

As above, the return process is crystal clear. It even came in a box designed for returning.

But after a a short trip round the house, off came the labels and I took it for a test ride the next day. Committed.

Took a short time to bed in fully, but turned out great. Better ventilation. And quieter.

I was an Arai fan, but they changed the shell shape and didn't fit me any more. So you cannot trust anything.

My C3 (and an S2 sport) are 58/59, but the Shoei is 57/58. All fit perfectly.

BTW - Sportsbikeshop. Fast service.

Are you in a rush? Wait until the Scottish Bike Show at Ingleston. You will be able to try on about every manufacurer there is. Beginning of March

Are you in a rush? Wait until the Scottish Bike Show at Ingleston. You will be able to try on about every manufacurer there is. Beginning of March

I’d actually forgotten all about the bike show. I haven’t been there for years but might give it a try this time.

I’m bikeless till March anyway.

There might be show offers.

I'm another C3 user. 6 years of very comfy helmet use. But - very poor ventilation when things warm up.

A few months ago I plucked up courage to buy a Neotec2 online without slogging round 'local' dealers.

As above, the return process is crystal clear. It even came in a box designed for returning.

But after a a short trip round the house, off came the labels and I took it for a test ride the next day. Committed.

Took a short time to bed in fully, but turned out great. Better ventilation. And quieter.

I was an Arai fan, but they changed the shell shape and didn't fit me any more. So you cannot trust anything.

My C3 (and an S2 sport) are 58/59, but the Shoei is 57/58. All fit perfectly.

BTW - Sportsbikeshop. Fast service.

I have never tried the Schuberth but the new C5 could be worth a look?

Personally I like Shoei and love the Neotec 2 which I've had for some 4 years now nice and comfy and quiet. Both of these helmets have a dedicate comms system for each. Tried BMW's flip lid but it just didn't feel right.

For service both Motolegends and Sportsbikeshop are great!

I too have just swapped from a C3 Pro to a Neotec II. I tried the C4 pro in the same size as the C3 and it just out too much pressure on my forehead, it felt completely different. Neotec was the best for me of all those I tried, very high quality. Haven’t worn it on the bike yet though, not been out since I got it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom