F700 GS .(Used) . what to look for ?

newbuild100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Folks. Early tomorrow morning, im going to look at a 2012 700. Not knowing a darn thing about these models, what should I look out for please ?? (The few I've seen photos of seem to show paint shedding off the engine front ???!)

Thanks

You sure its a F700GS, as up till 2013 they sold the F800GS and the F650GS Twin!
The name changed in 2013 to F700GS with the 1st body work changes and a few technical changes, like the reg/rec being located under the frame side and not sitting facing out. The most visible change was the front brake resevoir! coming off of its floppy mount and being located directly onto the brake master cylinder. And "normal" indicators became . . . . the norm :D

Headrace bearings need to be checked - ask if they have been replaced. The original chain was rubbish, so ask if it's been changed (if it's a low mileage machine).
Then its just the "normal" consumables check.

Steve T

:dragon

IIRC, they actually started 700 production in 2011, but I think the UK stuck with the 650, single front disc, until the model rollover in Autumn 2012.

Anyway the 700 is easily recognisable at a glance, due to it's improved forks & twin front discs.

What to look for - as ever covered here .......... https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/195475-►-QUICK-LINKS-TO-POPULAR-THREADS

My opinion, FWIW ......... Pros - economical, light & flickable, great for newcomers. Low seat available. Cons - power delivery a tad bland, OE screen offers no protection. Not much else if you check it out carefully.

I had a couple. Reliable, nothing really went wrong (I think there was a recall for the side stand switch but I would expect all bikes to have been done by now). Not affected by piston slap on the early F800ST models. Paint application not great - I owned 7 or 8 of this model line and every single one had paint peeling around the sump, but if you find a clean one it’s probably also a sign it’s been well cared-for. The other change that also occurred with the last model of 650Gs twin was the tank reading on the dash at reserve went from miles to empty to miles travelled, because the complex shape of the under seat tank made an accurate calculation of volume remaining a problem (or so BMW said). Tank volume went down from 16L to 15L. There are also different top case mountings available GS650 style Vario topcase can fit on a 700GS but needs a different mount to the newer topcase that was the official accessory for the 700.

Back
Top Bottom