My 2022 R1250GS Adventure Megamoto

What 17inch front wheel fits?
Or is it a modify job?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Mine are from an R1200RS. It came as a kit from a German company called Rennkuh who are no longer in business. It needed spacers to both sides to get the front wheel to fit. And also spacers for the brake callipers.

Didn’t know that an R1200RT fitted straight in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The R or RS both suck because they have forks instead of the much superior TELE-LEVER...I would not buy another bike without it unless it would be a track-only or moto-x bike ! So stupd on BMW's part to go back to Fred Flintstone forks on R and RS...:confused:

The R or RS both suck because they have forks instead of the much superior TELE-LEVER...I would not buy another bike without it unless it would be a track-only or moto-x bike ! So stupd on BMW's part to go back to Fred Flintstone forks on R and RS...:confused:

Oh bless, you are funny :comfort
Next you'll be telling us that Jon Bon Jovi cracked the Enigma code! ;) :D

Yep, the R sucks big time. Look at those golden forks of beauty.

ab82e857a0463409e9aa225e9c8218d8.jpg

The debate of this v that (GS v R v RS) will continue ad-infinitum and ultimately, it all comes down to taste and what floats your own boat. I had a 2019 R1250R Sport and I really enjoyed it. It was fast, precise in dynamic mode and looked awesome. For personal reasons, I ended up selling it and replaced it for a 2016 GS 1200 TE which, is super comfortable, still really capable on the road and suits my taste in motorcycles. ....and that's the point. My plan is to put more road-biased wheels on my bike, add power (and noise) and personalise it more to my taste, a supermoto on steroids, that can also take you around the world in comfort.

But hey, that's just me. :D

I tell you something on how big the R1250R sucks...German mag MOTORRAD had a interesting article this year comparing the R1250R and the R1250GS-ADV on a handling parcours...So we have here 2 bikes with the same engine but one is 50 kilos lighter and runs a smaller 17" front wheel...The winner should have been clear but despite being 50 kilos heavier and the GS-ADV posted a faster time...Advantage Telelever !
It was the biggest mistake from BMW to go back to the old fork on R and RS...Imagine what a lighter R or S - boxer with 160 hp and 17" front wheel could do :thumby:

I tell you something on how big the R1250R sucks...German mag MOTORRAD had a interesting article this year comparing the R1250R and the R1250GS-ADV on a handling parcours...So we have here 2 bikes with the same engine but one is 50 kilos lighter and runs a smaller 17" front wheel...The winner should have been clear but despite being 50 kilos heavier and the GS-ADV posted a faster time...Advantage Telelever !
It was the biggest mistake from BMW to go back to the old fork on R and RS...Imagine what a lighter R or S - boxer with 160 hp and 17" front wheel could do :thumby:

was same rider on both bike ?

Of course,same rider ! The GS with Telelever handles much better than the R/RS with the old forks...amazing how T-L can make up 50 kilos of weight because the parcours had even a pretty long straight section as also a slalom section and sweepers of various degrees...If the surface had been bumpy like 90% of todays roads are T-L would have even scored higher over the old fashioned fork ! My old R1200R with Telelever was way faster and easier to ride fast than my lighter R 9 T with Ohlins forks and shock...Would never go back to a fork for road-riding !

One more thing...I remember in 2015 when the R1200R and R1200GS-ADV came out new the first test-ride like when it was yesterday...Rode both on the same day and same roads because the salesman and I swapped bikes...I was amazed how much better the bigger/heavier GS-ADV handled than the smaller/lighter R...Thanks to T-L :thumby: Hope BMW does not make the same mistake on the all new R1300/1400 generation unless they come out with a really light off-road boxer with real tall suspension travel where T-L would not work. Also a real Sportboxer with T-L would be awsome as you could outbrake the superbikes into any corner and then with superior TORQUE shoot down out of turns getting enough advance not to be overtaken on the next straight...:thumb2 The R1100S/R1200S,HP2S unfortunately had not enough power to stay ahead on the track no matter how hard you tried.

My plan is to put more road-biased wheels on my bike, add power (and noise) and personalise it more to my taste, a supermoto on steroids, that can also take you around the world in comfort.

But hey, that's just me. :D

I can fully understand as I did exactly that. I have tried to pm you with details unsuccessfully. Get in touch if you want more info.

Boxerlust,
I have had 3xGSes. 2x1200 and a 1250. I ride them reasonably quickly and have been a big advocate of Telelever as it has a number of good features. It also has a number of downsides. But I am feeling Chrismassy and of good spirit, so a couple of things to address your comments above:

1. The GS handlebars are wider than that of the R. Wider by almost 10cm IIRC, which is a lot, and it means a significant leverage advantage tipping in. But because of the larger 19” front wheel and taller height of the GS and position of handlebars to the ground and front axle, the additional leverage is necessary. Do not mistake the ease of turn-in for greater agility.

2. Telelever has nothing to do with side-to-side agility. It only affects the vertical motion of the bike.

3. Narrower bars = lower leverage = greater rider input needed. Going from the GS to the R demands significantly more rider input and pressure on the bars to initiate a turn and hold a line. Again, do not mistake this for lower agility. It simply demands greater input - and if YOU are used to the leverage of a GS, you WILL find the R harder to initiate a turn. Many on wide handlebar riders (like a GS) pull their handlebars which is not ideal but OK for slow manoeuvres. Practice your counter steering more ;)

4. Getting on the throttle early out of a bend has nothing to do with Telelever. Paralever helps here, but all BMW shaftdrive bikes have Paralever.

5. Geometry plays a big part in agility which you fail to mention, perhaps out of ignorance. Ride an R vs RS and a GS vs GSA and the rake and trail makes a huge difference, as does length of swingarm etc. Superbikes have adjustable headstock tubes for this very reason. A small difference goes a long way.

6. My Ducati 1098R has more torque than the 1250 over a wider rev range and even narrower width clipons… it is lighter too by about 55kg. Oh and it has traditional USD forks. It leans with more ground clearance than a Boxer will, and is still faster than a GS or R. A lot faster.

7. The GS is a good bike, Telelever has some good benefits (I’ve enjoyed 3 of them), but… since you think ‘going fast’ has some equation to being ‘better’, then until the likes of MotoGP adopt the Hosack/Telelever suspension design, I suggest you stop talking your pseudo-engineering/magazine bullshit. You want 1300/1400 for more power/torque… your constant craving for more power suggests your riding ability needs some improvement. No one here buys your crap.

Merry Christmas!

Now back to the OPs bike…

I always thought the Ducati 1098 R engine produced 134 N/m of torque and the BMW 1250 GS engine 143 N/m of torque ? But I could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Squareparts you made some valid points but we should go riding and you will be surprised...As for your 1098R compared to the 1250GS on long straights and fast sweepers the GS has no chance.But on real roads with tighter turns your Duc will only see the GS' taillight...and not for long.The steering is too slow and the torque comes on too sudden/hard almost as bad as a 1290 S-D while the GS just lunges forward the Duc will try to wheely...Good to impress pre-pubescent boys not so good going fast...;) Throw in a few bumps and it is game over as Telelever turns the worst tarmac into fresh paved pavement.Hard on the brakes no problem as T-L does not dive and keeps enough suspension travel to iron out all imperfections...That is why I don't understand why BMW left this superior feature off the R and RS ? A stupid move to save some money and probably to appease the idiots in the magazines lamenting about lack of front-end feel which is complete nonsense.
Why they leave T-L off Moto-X and Moto-GP/WSBK machines is obvious...T-L can't offer the long spring travel of a fork and racetracks are mostly smooth so they can run very stiff springs and can take advantange of 2 points the fork gives...Slightly less weight and less trail full on the brakes when the forks are fully compressed for a little lighter turn in because these bikes are build for high speed (200mph +) stability.
As for the R vs GS and the narrower bar at speed above 70 mph it does not matter how wide a bar is as the gyroscopic forces become so high...When I remember riding the R1200R I thought at lower speed it was very agile but as speeds increase it became stiff while the GS kept its agility...Of course the fork-dive even with ESA was the final nail in the coffin for the R and I bought the way heavier GS-ADV despite having no 17" front wheel...;)
But tell me what wouldn't be awesome about a 1300/1400 cc boxer with 160 hp and Huge torque in a XR and S version ? Of course with Tele-Lever :thumby:
I think as quiet as it is with Hardly and Thaiumph Both in the ADV market offering 150 hp on paper BMW is back to the drawing board and giving the next GS-155-160 hp/nm and a frame that combines the ability of the current generation with high speed stability as also less weight and cost savings...Like Ducati away from the steel trellis to the cast aluminum frame and later maybe C-F frame when the cost comes further down...In a year we know more !
They better make us happy and bring something big to celebrate their 100's annniversary in style !
Nobody wants/needs F 850 with chinese engines or fake Harleys with EU-5 compliant boxer motors...I hope they learned from these mistakes and concentrate on the R1300 and S1000 lines !

I always thought the Ducati 1098 R engine produced 134 N/m of torque and the BMW 1250 GS engine 143 N/m of torque ? But I could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Mine has been significantly upgraded/blueprinted/with polished heads, enlarged oilways, high comp 14:1 pistals, high velocity stacks, custom remap per cylinder (lambda, not exhaust measurement) etc etc… she puts out more torque than the 1250 for longer. (twists between 80-106lbsft from 4-9k rpm)

That is why I don't understand why BMW left this superior feature off the R and RS ? A stupid move to save some money and probably to appease the idiots in the magazines lamenting about lack of front-end feel which is complete nonsense.
Why they leave T-L off Moto-X and Moto-GP/WSBK machines is obvious...T-L can't offer the long spring travel of a fork and racetracks are mostly smooth so they can run very stiff springs and can take advantange of 2 points the fork gives...Slightly less weight and less trail full on the brakes when the forks are fully compressed for a little lighter turn in because these bikes are build for high speed (200mph +) stability.
As for the R vs GS and the narrower bar at speed above 70 mph it does not matter how wide a bar is as the gyroscopic forces become so high...When I remember riding the R1200R I thought at lower speed it was very agile but as speeds increase it became stiff while the GS kept its agility...Of course the fork-dive even with ESA was the final nail in the coffin for the R and I bought the way heavier GS-ADV despite having no 17" front wheel...;)
But tell me what wouldn't be awesome about a 1300/1400 cc boxer with 160 hp and Huge torque in a XR and S version ? Of course with Tele-Lever :thumby:
I think as quiet as it is with Hardly and Thaiumph Both in the ADV market offering 150 hp on paper BMW is back to the drawing board and giving the next GS-155-160 hp/nm and a frame that combines the ability of the current generation with high speed stability as also less weight and cost savings...Like Ducati away from the steel trellis to the cast aluminum frame and later maybe C-F frame when the cost comes further down...In a year we know more !
They better make us happy and bring something big to celebrate their 100's annniversary in style !
Nobody wants/needs F 850 with chinese engines or fake Harleys with EU-5 compliant boxer motors...I hope they learned from these mistakes and concentrate on the R1300 and S1000 lines !

Bollockslust, try not moving the goal posts when your argument is lost ;-). You said a ‘parcours handling’ course which we all know is not just a 70mph course. The GS has c.15% shorter gearing from the final drive ratio compared to the R, so on a parcours handling course, the shorter gearing = stronger 1st and 2nd gear low speed acceleration which is likely where the bike stayed most of the time. The wide handlebars makes a difference too for tight handling - at the end of the day, the GS was partially designed for low speed stand up handling where off-road is helpful.
On the normal road, however, the R turns in faster and is more agile from side to side due to the wheelsize, different geo, a shorter wheelbase and lower overall weight - I found myself regularly oversteering the R initially and the apex came heck of a lot faster. Both bikes require a different style of handling, where countersteering the R pays more dividends. The GS is a good bike (a great one), but it is not the panacea to all riding as you lust.

When I said parcours they had an old airfield with cones to simulate long fast sweepers,tight turns,slalom and a long straight...So the R should have won easily but did not despite being 50 kilos lighter and having a 17" front...The R should have been faster but the GS-ADV was faster which surprsed me not as much after a testride :thumb2 Now imagine what a bike as small and light as the R with Telelever and a 155hp/nm boxer could do...:D It would be the perfect weapon for fast road riding because all the current GS is missing is 30 hp on top and the high speed stability to make full use of it !
I know I probably should buy an XR with M-package but I would miss the boxer,Telelever and driveshaft too much...;)
As for the R vs the GS I found the opposite what you said true...The R was quicker handling up to speeds of 70 mph while the GS stayed very maneuverable at speed above it while the R was not as quick steering anymore.As also the fork submitted bumps and was way less comfortable than the Telelever which sealed the deal for the GS for me...I had 3 R1200R bikes before...2008,2012 and 2014...Real ones with Telelever :thumb
As why the GS-ADV is faster than the R on backroads despite being 50 kilos heavier...The answer must be Telelever that allows for less trail and softer spring rates and still does not dives and soak up all the bumps.What else would it be because a 19" front wheel for sure does not build up less gyroscopic forces...The only bike that handled better was the R1100S because it was superstable no matter what speed and railed in fast turns and still was quick steering.If BMW could replicate that,bring the weight down to 220 kilos wet and give the engine 160hp/150nm we would have a winner :thumb2

Added some Motografix tank protection and a modified BMW spotlight bracket. Hopefully the weather might get a bit better over the next few days. Would like to gets its first service done Asap.
226684a53fc3fbde1edccb9a6d3512ab.jpg

a1ab00a0f340bb7a6e7f28e8271002eb.jpg

40b931c568ca1818134a3c71d60bb38c.jpg

476deccd5daae7d872bc863623b584b1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom