R1100GS choke cable

West coast gser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hmm after the ins an outs of the gearbox on my 1100 the choke lever doesnt seem to be working as it did before the 1st gearbox removal.. when pushed full on the revs would rise to 3000rpm and then drop once its backed off slightly to the run position I would gather then once a couple of bars on the guage Id knock it off now Ive got to force the choke lever full on and hold it there but the revs are only rising to 1800-2000 rpm so gotta hold the revs up on the throttle till the bars show on the guage if I let the choke lever go the revs fall to 1500 rpm and fully off it ticks over @ 1000rpm ..gonna be a pain to heat up once its a bit colder outside:confused:

After my 1150 had its refresh by Mikeyboy my “fast idle” wasn’t doing a fat lot either. Dunno if the 1100 cable is the same but there’s an adjuster under a rubber sleeve up by the handlebars on the 1150. It didn’t want to move to start with because it hadn’t been touched for 19 years but it freed off eventually after a bit of persuasion. After a bit of a twiddle it is back to how it was before now. :thumb2

I've had several oilheads and well over 100k miles on 1100's and I follow what the handbook says and start up and ride off... As long as you don't cane it for the 1st couple of miles you are warming the bike up as you say you do at a standstill... Hence why they are fine set at idling on or just above idle with the fast idle set at the halfway. ride a mile or two and off with the lever and carry on... None of the 8 FI bikes with fast idle levers have ever revved to 3k...

TBH I can't even remember warming up my carbed bikes that much either without any ill effect...

Never use choke (fast idle) on our bikes, push starter button with thumb on left hand whilst holding throttle with right hand :thumb

Does your 1100 have the early single throttle cable or the later set up with a Bowden/junction box and three cables ?

Back
Top Bottom