Phone app to share route progress & location

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Since Garmin dumped Live Track (which was pretty good for my uses) I've been looking for a replacement.

I want to be able to send s link to those I chose so they can track my progress at any point along my journey. Live track did this in such a way that the receiver of the link didn't need s Google account or indeed any account, they just got a link to a web page with a great, zoomable map and some type data (speed, elevation, time etc).

Some apps are just plan crap. Others tie-in to Google which won't work for the oldies I have as they have no Google accounts.

Currently I'm using "Track My Trip". It almost fits the bill, but the interface is poor and I find it irritating!

Does anyone it there have any ideas of how I could solve this problem?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the Glympse tip. But I tried that and the link it seems out demands you have a Google account, it rather the recipients of your link do.

If I missed something on that, I'd love to know as its interface want too bad.

We use it in our blood bike group to track volunteers who are not on one of our fleet vehicles. Not everyone has a google account, so if it does require you to have a google account, we haven't come across this in the last 2 years. But could be wrong.

I normally use the app "Polarsteps" which allows family/friends to follow your progress but you do have to add your own updates (places of interest etc) as you travel so might not be quite what your after?
When you're finished the trip it will also give you the option of creating a book based on your travels with maps and routes traveled as well as photo's and comments you've submitted along the way, makes a nice keep sake.

Thanks for the Glympse tip. But I tried that and the link it seems out demands you have a Google account, it rather the recipients of your link do.

If I missed something on that, I'd love to know as its interface want too bad.

You dont need a google account, you can share via e-mail or text message, both of which provide a link to the other party, they just click and are taken to a screen with a map and your location within Glympse on their internet browser

If you are using an Apple phone, you can simply select a contact from your list, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select "Share my location". The select "indefinitely", "until end of day" or "one hour".

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to revisit Glympse! I must have not been looking at it properly!

Waze- I already have this! No idea it could do this. Another one to check out!

Ref Polar Steps. Never heard of it, but I'm going to look into this also as it sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip!

It sounds like I have sold that can do what I want - so I'm beginning to think this is why Garmin dumped Live Track, because they thought there are already enough said it there doing the same thing...

Thank you all very much. I have a little homework to do now

Depending if you want to actually share the whole route, or just your current location, Life360 also works quite well to live location sharing and supports both iOS and Android.

If you are using an Apple phone, you can simply select a contact from your list, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select "Share my location". The select "indefinitely", "until end of day" or "one hour".

WhatsApp has the same feature;

Share your live location

Enable location permissions for WhatsApp in your phone's Settings > Apps & notifications > Advanced > App permissions > Location > turn on WhatsApp. Alternatively, if you recently opened WhatsApp, you can go to your phone's Settings > Apps & notifications > WhatsApp > Permissions > turn on Location.
Open an individual or group chat.
Tap Attach > Location > Share live location.
Select the length of time you'd like to share your live location. Your live location will stop being shared after the selected amount of time.
Optionally, add a comment.
Tap Send.

WhatsApp has the same feature;

Share your live location

Enable location permissions for WhatsApp in your phone's Settings > Apps & notifications > Advanced > App permissions > Location > turn on WhatsApp. Alternatively, if you recently opened WhatsApp, you can go to your phone's Settings > Apps & notifications > WhatsApp > Permissions > turn on Location.
Open an individual or group chat.
Tap Attach > Location > Share live location.
Select the length of time you'd like to share your live location. Your live location will stop being shared after the selected amount of time.
Optionally, add a comment.
Tap Send.
Thanks for that. Very interesting. Never realised WhatsApp could do this. I'm guessing it's for your location at any one moment, rather than showing your 'track/journey covered so far' (which is what I'm really looking for). It will however be useful, so thanks!

Depending if you want to actually share the whole route, or just your current location, Life360 also works quite well to live location sharing and supports both iOS and Android.
Another one to look at. Many thanks!

Yes, whatsapp is for your location at any moment. Doesn’t have a track feature.

Does Relive have a “live” feature?

Thanks for that. Very interesting. Never realised WhatsApp could do this. I'm guessing it's for your location at any one moment, rather than showing your 'track/journey covered so far' (which is what I'm really looking for). It will however be useful, so thanks!

To the best of my knowledge it shows your live location and you get to choose how long that information is shared for from the start.

Back
Top Bottom