Keis or Gerbing? Preference?

If I had to have one item it would be the heated pants (keis for me). blood warmed in the legs goes back up to the body, and down to the feet. Heated Body warmers alone are ok, but keeping the knees and feet warm is a winner. Done this on two winter continental trips and it saves on carrying extra kit as well.

I’ve used heated clothing for well over 10 years. I bought gerbing initially. Over the years I have had several problems - the jacket leads (arms to gloves) have broken twice, despite looking after it and never scrunching it up - repaired by gerbing once and now by me. The gloves soon lose their waterproof promise and turn into sponges and I have had one set of gloves replaced after a wire burnt a hole in my hand (replaced without a quibble - very good customer service)

Having said that, it is a life-saver - quite literally on a trip to Europe in Apr/May a few years’ ago when it was very cold and wet - I couldn’t have done it without the heated clothing.

I still have the gerbing jacket and gloves but also use W&S glove liners - super thin but not as hot as the gerbing gloves and W&S trouser liners, also excellent for longer trips in winter. I will probably change the jacket liner soon and probably go for W&S but the Gerbing, even with its few problems, has been excellent.

Oh great, a fight.

Bring it on. I am in the pub in St Omer.

PS RapidFire / Powerlet invented the latest generation of heated clothing. I bought mine from America and am using it today at 4 degrees C. I deserve a medal.

65788f9745dfa438f9ed686e6e5988f4.jpg

https://www.thewarmingstore.com/powerlet-rapidfire-heated-jacket-liner.html

You appear to have three sat navs on the go, two telling you to go left and the third right. Are you Ballon in disguise?

Very good.

They all say, go left at the junction. The instruction to turn right, top left of the BMW Navigator screen, is the advanced warning that the next significant deviation from straight ahead, is turn right in 2.5 miles. I know this, ‘cos I know stuff.

I am indeed Ballon in disguise but easy to spot as an imposter, as I only have one number plate.

I use the Gerbing jacket and gloves, I’ve no experience of any other brand but it’s worked well now for two winters so can’t complain. Only advice I would give is, buy the heated jacket rather than a waistcoat as warm arms as well as your trunk is a great feeling of comfort and fuzziness.

None of the above - i make my own heated gear for next to nothing.
All you need is a basic understanding of resistance and volts, a bit of patience to thread the appropriate wire through the garment of your choice and you`re away.
I have a heated waistcoat of approx 60W and ~20w heated boot insoles. Luxury. The waiscoat goes under my fleece for when it`s say 6 deg or under and over the fleece for a more moderate heating effect.
I`m liking the seat heating on the GS too, and i can see from the TFT display that Mrs Hann is also making full use of it...

Only W&S do a proper liner.
I’ve had Gerbing, Keis and W&S.
Still have the Keis gloves as they’re the warmest by far BUT the switches are in a stupid place and regularly get switched off by the cuff of the jacket.
Keis jacket is fucking uncomfortable with Rukka. The goretex inner cuff against the fat jacket cuff is just unworkable.
The W&S liner solves this and the glove leads slip out nice and easily.
Also how W&S have worked in the controller pockets is far better than Keis/Gerbing. Moving it around to the side means it’s unobtrusive.
However the best thing by far is the W&S sock actually heats the toes unlike Gerbing who only do the insoles. Why? What is the pint of making a heated sock that doesn’t heat the toes?

However the best thing by far is the W&S sock actually heats the toes unlike Gerbing who only do the insoles.

I totally agree about heated socks - here are the Gerbing ones.

I was given a pair of Gerbing heated insoles when one of their socks failed. I didn't get on the with the insoles and traded them back later on when they restarted sock manufacture.

Thanks all - hadn't heard of W&S so will have a look at their gear for sure. From what I've read it seems that all are good and it comes down very much to personal choice.

I have the RapidFire (now Warm’n’Safe) socks and trouser liner. Like my RapidFire jacket liner and gloves liners, I can control each item individually. In other words, I have complete control over the jacket, gloves, socks and trousers and can run each at whatever temperature I like.

Highly recommended.

Used to have a Gerbing jacket but the controller failed & Gerbing refused to replace it, despite their 'lifetime' warranty. I bought a new controller, reluctantly, & all was fine for a while but when the second controller failed I ditched the Gerbing & bought a Keis. Full sleeves & collar, bliss. I wear it over the base layer & under the jacket and rarely turn it up over the lowest setting. So far it's worked great under every jacket - Rukka, BMW, even the Richa wax cotton.
I couldn't ride in winter without it anymore :rob

I have a Gerbing jacket with heated collar and sleeves. I stripped all the extra wiring out as it was heavy and useless to me. Still standing up to abuse all these years, i find though ive the get the base layer right if im turning up the heat to avoid hotspots.

Overall it now owes me nothing

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Failure of the Gerbings controllers pushed me towards Keis , which has performed superbly . The Keis material is preferable .

Oh ,,and I have Gerbing - works for me :thumb2

Attachments

• 0F24BBDF-9B2E-48F7-B98D-C1E72AEA7C4A.jpg
    0F24BBDF-9B2E-48F7-B98D-C1E72AEA7C4A.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 191
NO scarcity of nav info going on there :thumb2:thumb2

In the interests of research on behalf of the largely ungrateful membership of UKGSer, I was seeing how the new (and ever so exciting) BMW Connected app worked on its own and in conjunction with one of those new fangled TFT screen things, which I knew nothing about, other than they existed. The Nav VI is there as a safety net, though some might think that's a net full of holes.

Anything that relies on cloud access/ 3G/4G/5/G is a ‘net full of holes’; give me reliability of the BMW Navigators any day.
p.s. off topic ?

In topic, I have the whole keis setup (jacket, trousers, gloves), my thoughts below.

I ride all year round, mostly a daily 70 mile round trip on motorways, plus longer trips around the country for meetings etc. Average annual mileage is around 15k in all weathers unless ice and snow are forecast.

The jacket is by far the most useful bit of bike clothing i own for the winter, it’s warm enough that even down to 0 degrees I don’t use it at more than the medium setting, and off the bike it just looks like any other softshell. It fits fine under all the jackets I’ve owned, and it’s wired to distribute power all the other so you just plug the jacket into the bike and everything else into the jacket. Good between 10 degrees and 0 degrees for rides of any length.

The trousers aren’t as useful, they only really come in when it’s properly cold, and/or long rides on motorways where the wind chill is greater. They’re designed like a very thin set of sweatpants and go under the existing bike trousers. The heating elements are only on the front of the trousers, (so top of the thighs) where the wind would hit you, not at the back, control is via a “tongue” that sits above the belt line and flops under the line of the jacket, so you can control the trousers and jacket separately. Power can come from the bike directly, but best plugged into the jacket. The low power setting is all you need in any weather above 0.

The gloves are decent, basically a goretex leather spring / autumn glove with a heating element across the tops and fingers. Surprisingly they don’t have any heating in the palms so you need heated grips as well. Sometimes it’s a faff getting them on under or over the sleeves of a bike jacket as the cuffs are pretty chunky, but it gets easier over time. They can be powered off the bike via leads run under a jacket, or plugged into the heated jacket (the best way) or you can buy small battery packs that fit into the oversized cuffs. Control is via buttons on the tops of the gloves. If you have hand guards on the bike you don’t really need these until the temps drop below 5 degrees, if you don’t have hand guards to help with the wind chill they come into play much earlier in the winter.

To me, the only downside to keis system are the controllers. Wearing the full suit you end up with a bunch of controllers down by your left trouser pocket, and though you can work them while riding with some practice it would be nice to have an option to put a controller (wired or wireless) on the handlebars like the gerbing system.

My advice to anyone would be to buy the jacket first - a warm core is essential on many levels - then buy the other components as needed.

Also, investigate putting as many deflectors as you can and a large screen on the bike for winter riding, as reducing wind chill means less heating is needed, which means a smaller load on the bike’s alternator, which helps with reliability.

Tried my new Gerbing jacket last week. Feck its warm, only had it on number 1 setting. Very pleased.

Back
Top Bottom