Inconsistent recording of rides

mw3230

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
There is another issue which needs to be sorted by BMW - the inconsistent manner in which the Connected app connects with IOS. According to my local dealer there is a fix coming in February (in the form of a software update which will necessitate more time being spent in the workshop no doubt) but in the mean time the app is intermittent in the way in which it records rides. A problem much discussed on Youtube

I have cut this post out of a thread about the new Connected cradle mount thing and given it a thread of its own.

So far, the app has been recording my jaunts perfectly, I am happy to say. iPhone 11X, permanently powered and the latest version of the app, if it makes any difference.

I haven`t bothered too much with the APP (it`s been set up but i`ve just left it as-is, not sure if you have to tell it to record or it does it automatically?) but i have also seen the same as the OP - it does not seem to records all trips.
Yesterday for example it recorded our ride out to Wiltshire but not the return journey.

My experience is similar very intermittent, yesterday I could see my phone (Iphone 11) connected to the TFT via Bluetooth but no road speed limits on the screen and no ride recordings, yet last week it recorded fine.

i moved the phone to a better location front top pocket but its still hit or miss whether the connected app works.

My experience is completely the reverse. Each of my rides, whether here in the UK or in France / Belgium has been recorded faithfully, using my iPhone.

Here are my settings for the app, if that helps:

f776e48109de1cae396c8234e55b32c4.png

My settings differ slightly - my iPhone doesn't show the options for 'Bluetooth' or 'Local Network' so I can't replicate that (although Bluetooth for the Connected is permitted elsewhere). I didn't have background app refresh selected as a battery saving measure but I've switched it on now. I'm out riding tomorrow, weather permitting, and will check the recording performance of the app

As little as I understand it, I think it’s important to have the location set to always and the background refresh turned on.

I think the Bluetooth is the only way that the app can talk to the TFT screen?

I think the local network is only relevant with the big TFT screened bikes, which use the internet to drag the maps across from the phone.

All that being said, all this fine detail of app settings is way beyond my pay grade. I can only suggest that you try things out, not least as you can’t break anything.

As little as I understand it, I think it’s important to have the location set to always and the background refresh turned on.

I think the Bluetooth is the only way that the app can talk to the TFT screen?

I think the local network is only relevant with the big TFT screened bikes, which use the internet to drag the maps across from the phone.

All that being said, all this fine detail of app settings is way beyond my pay grade. I can only suggest that you try things out, not least as you can’t break anything.

Thanks Wapping for your assistance and recommendations mines the same as mw3230 my iPhone doesn't show the options for 'Bluetooth' or 'Local Network' think ill uninsall it and re install the app give that a try see if the options are in the install and report back.

Another excellent app is Garmin Smart link which i havent used until very recently. Makes finding places of interest so much easier than on the sat nav.

OK i have changed the settings in the app to reflect Wappings to include Bluetooth :D , but cant for the life of me find how to activate Local Network :blast

To activate Bluetooth (you would think it would be active by default) in the app tap the 3 dots in the lower RH corner --> Permissions --> turn on Bluetooth switch

I suspect that only becomes active when a bike with the big TFT screen is used. As a part of the process, the app requires the phone to find the bike’s inbuilt Wi-Fi signal, a bit like you looking for a hotel’s Wi-Fi when on holiday.

:D Yeah a bit of a head scratcher that, I believed i have the big TFT (but could be mistaken if thats something very recent my bike is early 2021)
Is this the very latest development that can display the map on the TFT screen? I think you eluded to that in post 8
Seems like the Garmin Sat nav's days are numbered.

All said and done though this extra tech on the bike is quite cool, I dont need to know about lean angles or half the stuff it can do Just get on and ride it.
However there is more to the latest bikes if your willing to spend time setting it all up.

Ring your dealer ask ask what size yours is. Though do be careful how you phrase the question.

To avoid any chances of you standing accused of perverse misuse of the telephone network or a smack in the eye, the ‘big’ TFT screen is 10.25 inches, way larger than the somewhat piddling 6 odd inches that 1250 owners so proudly boast of as awesome. It is that big one that can display the maps, that have been downloaded to a phone and then beamed across to the bike’s screen, as if by magic…. Which indeed magical it is.

Not least, that somewhat dull owners handbook should (here I am guessing) describe all the wonderful things your ten inch plus can do.

Why do you need to record all this data?

You don’t need to, any more than you need to do anything else in life beyond breathing, belching and farting between meals.

Where it does come in handy is helping you to remember where you went and to easily share a very accurate record of the journey, with your (possibly very few) friends. If in doubt as to the value in being able to share the journey, see all and any posts on this forum that start: “Got a route, mate….” The spelling of ‘route’ varies, naturally.

I have looked again at the recordings of my last jaunt to Belgium, displaying them in BaseCamp on my large screen Mac.

Each of the five days is recorded perfectly, including me going wrong (in through the wrong entrance) at a new petrol station in Peronne.

The track recording has come in really handy as I have managed to correct / improve the route I had planned in a couple of places, saving it for use in the future.

I can so far give it 10/10.

Well went out today, all connected up on the TFT (mines a small one BTW only 6 inches oh err missis) had road speed limits on screen, fairly Baltic this morning.

Extended my ride to capture some impressive lean angles :D Got home the feckin thing didn't record :blast

Something to do with allow the app to know your location it was set to always but maybe you have to reset it after you made changes :nenau I set it to only while using the app then back to always.

Willl report back next weekend when i get chance to ride the bike again

Back
Top Bottom