Hello (he says peeking around the door)

So you're still struggling with it then.

I never struggled - what some, even so called 'advanced' riders, don't get is that one has to take a short while to learn a motorcycle's characteristics (The blue book even says so, I believe) but some just don't have the patience or skill - I have never had a problem from the early bikes to the latest.

I never struggled - what some, even so called 'advanced' riders, don't get is that one has to take a short while to learn a motorcycle's characteristics (The blue book even says so, I believe) but some just don't have the patience or skill - I have never had a problem from the early bikes to the latest.

Funny that I’ve never had that issue with any GS I’ve ridden, from old mono lever 800 all the way through to the latest 1250. Only the 2014 WC has ever caused me to dislike it immensely. It also goes for the various hondas, Kawasaki’s and Yamaha’s that I have ridden, every single one had what I would class as an acceptable clutch and gearbox………guess it’s me that’s at fault :D

The XR quickshifter is a thing of utter brilliance, the GSA quickshifter is not so much. I do agree that that does take some getting used to on the GS, whereas the XR I was instantly in tune with it. Is that my lack of intelligence, or just the fact that the quickshifter on the GS is just a bit shitter than the one on the XR? Personally I would say it’s just a bit shitter, you can ride around it and make it work, but it will never be as seamless as the XR.

Anyway, I’m picking her up on Saturday, dodgy quickshitter and all :D

It’ll be so nice to be able to criticise it without being told I’m only jealous because I can’t afford one :D

Funny that I’ve never had that issue with any GS I’ve ridden, from old mono lever 800 all the way through to the latest 1250. Only the 2014 WC has ever caused me to dislike it immensely. It also goes for the various hondas, Kawasaki’s and Yamaha’s that I have ridden, every single one had what I would class as an acceptable clutch and gearbox………guess it’s me that’s at fault :D

The XR quickshifter is a thing of utter brilliance, the GSA quickshifter is not so much. I do agree that that does take some getting used to on the GS, whereas the XR I was instantly in tune with it. Is that my lack of intelligence, or just the fact that the quickshifter on the GS is just a bit shitter than the one on the XR? Personally I would say it’s just a bit shitter, you can ride around it and make it work, but it will never be as seamless as the XR.

Anyway, I’m picking her up on Saturday, dodgy quickshitter and all :D

It’ll be so nice to be able to criticise it without being told I’m only jealous because I can’t afford one :D

The quickshifter ain't great, upshifts are OK, downshifts are a bit rough - the issue with quick shifters is they are what they are - with a manual gearbox and clutch one is always in control, e.g. the amount of blip and clutch slip is controllable so making smooth changes is always possible. On the early LCs one just needed a little blip and gear changes were as smooth as smooth.

Whoosh!

The new 1250 is a totally different bike to ride compared to those early WC’s

I hooked it up the Newtown to Crossgates road and apparently the ABS cut in several times (I was riding like a twat), although I never felt it once.

The suspension is on a different level.

The clutch is stil a bit shit, but not enough to put me off, but the gearbox and electronics on the new bike are far less intrusive.

It’ll take a while to gel with (whereas with the twin cam I felt an immediate connection) but I reckon with a set of bar risers it’ll be right.

Enjoy your new bike - the 1250 is a fab bike.

Agreed .I have had many `GSA’s from 2002 onwards to today . The 1250 is the best of the lot . Brilliant . The quick shifter is brilliant . You will love it . Love my Fat boy as well , but get why you are changing

Agreed .I have had many `GSA’s from 2002 onwards to today . The 1250 is the best of the lot . Brilliant . The quick shifter is brilliant . You will love it . Love my Fat boy as well , but get why you are changing

Because my Harley gearbox broke at 19000 miles and Harley basically offer 0 support.

So, I’ve treated myself to a brand new BMW with a 3 year extendable warranty and some form of customer support :D

Loved the Roadking special, hate HD and their wanky treatment of customers.

Selling the Hd and the twin cam means a new bike is possible without much further outlay :thumb

Because my Harley gearbox broke at 19000 miles and Harley basically offer 0 support.

So, I’ve treated myself to a brand new BMW with a 3 year extendable warranty and some form of customer support :D

Selling the Hd and the twin cam means a new bike is possible without much further outlay :thumb

do you know some bmw break also, so it says here

Good onya, health to enjoy your new bike Sir

Back
Top Bottom