Arai Tour X4

David S

Reaction score
I have an Aria QV Pro which is very comfortable for my oval shaped head/big forehead :) but the helmet is a bit hot in the warmer weather, particularly in traffic. I struggle to find a flip helmet that fits properly and closes easily, and have been considering the Arai Tour X4 on the basis that it could be a bit cooler. Not a problem at the moment I know, but thinking ahead to the warmer weather. I have a GS1250 with a GSA screen and wonder if anyone has experience of these helmets and in particular the wind noise. I am a road rider, no off-roading. I think shops should have some trial helmets to make this process a bit easier. Many thanks

I’ve had my X4 since 2017 and still love (I alternate between that and an E1).

I have a 2014 GSA and have never had any issue with noise intrusion… NOTE, I do wear earplugs.

The X4 has a multitude of air flow vents that work very well I hot weather. In fact the only upgrade they should consider of/when making a change would be to add an internal sun visor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried taking the GSA screen off and replacing it with the standard GS one?

The GSA screen may be a bit quieter but in my experience the price for that is no airflow into your helmet…

I have a 2014 GSA and have never had any issue with noise intrusion… NOTE, I do wear earplugs.

The X4 has a multitude of air flow vents that work very well I hot weather. In fact the only upgrade they should consider of/when making a change would be to add an internal sun visor.

Maybe they could swap the drumming from the peak for the internal sun visor…..that’d be a decent trade :D

I’m on my 2nd and due to replace, I fixed the drumming of the peak with a magnum ice cream stick, glued onto the peak. It makes the world of difference.

Maybe they could swap the drumming from the peak for the internal sun visor…..that’d be a decent trade :D

I’m on my 2nd and due to replace, I fixed the drumming of the peak with a magnum ice cream stick, glued onto the peak. It makes the world of difference.

I put a strip of alloy wheel weights on the peak underside
Solved it for me

I had the X4 for a couple of years and switched to the QV pro as I wanted the shade. I could not believe how quiet the QV was in comparison. It was also the most comfortable lid I have ever owned. Last year I had to change and purchased the neotec 2. Excellent in the summer riding round town with the front up but in my view doesn’t have enough air flow in winter when closed up to clear warm breath so it steams up. I ended up with the RX7 with shade as my winter lid as it’s the same fit as the QV and has loads of air flow. Bit louder than the QV but quieter than the X4. I ride a GSA 1250 with Puig screen.

I alternate between a Shoei Neotec 2 and my Arai Tour X4

The Tour X4 is very much my 'go to' helmet which is comfy well made and provides a less claustrophobic environment , it also has a greater field of vision IMHO and much better ventilation, I haven't noticed any excess noise or peak vibration, I also wear ear plugs

I ride a 202 R 1250 GS TE with an MRA screen

Hope this helps

Possible to see a photo of this "fix"?
thanks

I spoke to Arai about it at a show in Cologne, they told me to speak to the UK importer who would send me a kit to stiffen the peak.

I did and they did and it worked very nicely.

Possible to see a photo of this "fix"?
thanks

Here you go
9fc45c2df00992dba6ea3883cd47caee.jpg

I find the X4 comfortable with good vision and Ok for short rides, but my second Scottish trip this year was in September was a 1500 mile 5 day ride and I came back from this with ringing ears which still hasn't completely gone yet. I should add that I wear custom fit ear plugs too.

Bought myself a Neotec 2 to try and reduce the noise experienced from the X4 and found the vision poor through the visor/Pinlock/flip down sun visor & spec's (x4 membranes) even in daylight and just thought the whole thing was a bit flimsy, so got rid of that after my first long trip with it.

I also have the Arai RX7V I use on track (I think my 4th or 5th of these over the years) and from now on I'm just using this on the GS too because of the noise.

Admittedly I do have the Akra can without baffles, so they are going back in and if it's still too much on a longer ride or at speed I'll put the standard can back on.

Personally I'll avoid adventure type helmets from now on for road use..

Holy thread hi-jack batman....

I have a Tour X4 and love it. I also have a C3 Pro as my daily commuter lid (its an old one I'm not posh!). I am considering an E1. Flaming T how would you compare the two?????

Resurrecting the thread.

My main helmet currently is an Arai QV. I always had Arai. I'm quite happy with it. I use it for almost everything: traveling, normal city use, trackdays, etc.
I also have a Bell Mips 9 that I use offroad.

Over time I tend to use the bell more for short trips in the city because I have more space between my chin and the front of the helmet. As someone said above, it is less claustrophobic.

I a GS and a road bike too. So the QV is obviously gonna stay, but I was considering buying a Tour X for traveling with the GS, etc.
I happen to do short offroad bits with the GS when abroad and it is a torture with a road helmet :)

Noise is a problem for me on the GS because I'm 6'3" and the wind breaks on my forehead (I have a couple of different screens). I don't expect it to be silent. But I even more worried by buffeting/wind resistance. Is the Tour X going to be a pain for long days in the saddle?

I cannot really compare with the Bell as the peak is larger compared to the one on the Tour X that is clearly a midway between a road helmet and an offroad one.

Holy thread hi-jack batman....

I have a Tour X4 and love it. I also have a C3 Pro as my daily commuter lid (its an old one I'm not posh!). I am considering an E1. Flaming T how would you compare the two?????

The X4 actually fits my head shape better but I made modifications to the E1 to release pressure building on the forehead. For longer days I wear the E1 as I like the benefit of the modular helmet and internal sun visor. The X4 I will use for when I am on my own with no camera or intercom. X4 has the more natural wider visibility and good air flow as does the E1. If I were you, take the opportunity to go try one on.

I don’t find my Tour X 4 particularly noisy with the standard GS or GSA screen, but I do find the peak vibrates and becomes tiresome. However, I have fitted an MRA Vario screen, which eliminates this totally, and reduces wind noise a bit more as well.

I have also retrofitted the chin curtain off my Shark Vision R helmet. This makes the helmet less drafty and blocks out a bit of the front tyre noise.

I used an Arai, although an X3 not an X4, for a number of years and it had the double hit of freeze drying my eyes on a really cold day and misting the visor at the same time. One of these was solved by fitting a pin lock, but it still froze my eyes. Something about the airflow inside the helmet was clearly off. It was also quite noisy even with earplugs.
Replaced with an E1 and it’s a revelation. Much better, more comfortable fit for my head shape, almost completely still air on my face unless I open a vent, a peak and a drop down sun visor, and it’s got to be the quietest helmet I have ever had. The added bonus being that the modular design makes petrol stops much much easier as you don’t have the hassle of having to find somewhere to put it after they make you take it off before the pump is switched on. Particularly frustrating when you wear glasses. Suffice it to say that I like the E1 that much that after 45,000 to 50,000 miles in the last five years I am now using my second one.

Resurrecting the thread.

My main helmet currently is an Arai QV. I always had Arai. I'm quite happy with it. I use it for almost everything: traveling, normal city use, trackdays, etc.
I also have a Bell Mips 9 that I use offroad.

Over time I tend to use the bell more for short trips in the city because I have more space between my chin and the front of the helmet. As someone said above, it is less claustrophobic.

I a GS and a road bike too. So the QV is obviously gonna stay, but I was considering buying a Tour X for traveling with the GS, etc.
I happen to do short offroad bits with the GS when abroad and it is a torture with a road helmet :)

Noise is a problem for me on the GS because I'm 6'3" and the wind breaks on my forehead (I have a couple of different screens). I don't expect it to be silent. But I even more worried by buffeting/wind resistance. Is the Tour X going to be a pain for long days in the saddle?

I cannot really compare with the Bell as the peak is larger compared to the one on the Tour X that is clearly a midway between a road helmet and an offroad one.

well I am 6'4" and just got an x4 and used it exclusively since getting, I also have an AFX41, shark evoline, the X4 is by far and away the quietest, forgot my ear plugs today so to and from work 60 miles fast A roads and motorway, it was lovley and quiet I was listening audio books on intercom, so far I have not noticed any buffeting or noise from the peak but then I dont find any particular problem with buffeting on any of my bikes ktm990adv, 640 adv and R1100GS with MRA Screen never experienced it at all, now try old Suzuki GS850 at 90+ touring round germany and you will have some idea what buffeting is all about ;-)

Thank you.
Manage to find one in my size and the colour I wanted and pulled the trigger.

Back
Top Bottom