Apple iTunes - library missing after update to 64 bit

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Finally I decided to upgrade from Mojave ( I think - last of the 32 bit anyway) to Monterey. Mostly it's gone fine, but on opening the new Music app the only music in there is the stuff I bought from iTunes, not my 700 or so other albums.

Now, on checking, the library location for Music is shown as /Macintosh HD/Users/martin/Music/Music/Media

All my music, and everything else, is in /Macintosh HD/Users/martin/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media.

I've changed the library to second location, but I still only see the downloaded media.

What am I missing?

Fixed it, if anyone has the same problem. Hold option, open Music, and select the original iTunes library .itl file - all is now well, though I did have a panic to start that there was no artwork. It just took a few minutes to load.

Finally I decided to upgrade from Mojave ( I think - last of the 32 bit anyway) to Monterey. Mostly it's gone fine, but on opening the new Music app the only music in there is the stuff I bought from iTunes, not my 700 or so other albums.

Now, on checking, the library location for Music is shown as /Macintosh HD/Users/martin/Music/Music/Media

All my music, and everything else, is in /Macintosh HD/Users/martin/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media.

I've changed the library to second location, but I still only see the downloaded media.

What am I missing?

As a sidenote: this could also happen with your Photos library.
Solution is the same: option while launching photos, or double clicking on the library directly in the finder.

Hold option?

Pictures, please.

Hold “option” key while opening

d7459a00a08de7305698097b3ed01afe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I upgraded my iMac to Monterey…and have now lost most of my iCloud files, can only see a few (of the many) folders I had in iCloud.

Tried holding the ‘option’ key but doesn’t seem to help!

Any suggestions gratefully received, t’internet suggests reversing out the Monterey upgrade, not something I am confident doing

Hi Simon - more info needed.

Are the files you refer to music/media files? As far as I can see, iCloud uses this as a back up, and your original media files should still be on your Mac in the iTunes folder.

In that case, use spotlight search to find your old library file by searching for .itl - if there’s more than one then it should be the newest one.

If it’s other files, that have synced to iCloud then a good place to start would be to look at files, in your iCloud account on the web to see if they are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Martin: yes my files 8n iCloud are intact as I can view them from my other devices…it’s just the iMac that can no longer view/access them since the Monterey upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Martin: yes my files 8n iCloud are intact as I can view them from my other devices…it’s just the iMac that can no longer view/access them since the Monterey upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you need to go into system preferences; then Apple ID; then select the checkbox for the iCloud Drive (and possibly the options therein to turn on the Desktop and Documents Folder)?

Do you need to go into system preferences; then Apple ID; then select the checkbox for the iCloud Drive (and possibly the options therein to turn on the Desktop and Documents Folder)?

Great suggestion. By toggling off then on again the Desktop & Document Folders option my problem has been resolved. Big thank you!

Back
Top Bottom