GS Adventure to a GS or vice versa?

camphair

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello all.
Only my second post on this Forum so please be patience with me.
So I'm currently the owner of a 1250 GS adventure TE. What a great bike it is.
To be honest I cant really fault it but I do have one gripe. The 30 litre tank!
On a recent trip to BMW Off Road experience in Wales I rode what I guess would be the Rallye. I found that the bike just had a much more user friendly experience to it and in terms of looks it was way nicer also.
So in an ideal world I think I'd like the same bike but just with the smaller tank. I'm aware that there are some differences between the two: angles on the front end, different gearing ratio, slightly heavier fly wheel are some of the differences I've came across and to be honest I don't think any of these would make a particular difference to me.
I've had a play about on the BMW configurator and from what I can see I can actually get the same bike, or very similar, at a slightly higher price.
So I was wondering if anybody here has went down the same route or changed in the opposite direction and went for a GSA? Did the they regret it or never look back?
Would be interesting to hear any comments on what I'd miss out on from the GSA in terms of spec etc or is it possible to get virtually the same bike?

Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I’ve gone the other direction. I put 7500 miles on a normal GS last year but wanted the bigger tank of the Adventure. I didn’t like the bulk of the adventure so have taken the crash bars off and I am relocating the spotlights to a Cymarc or Denali mount. Only 450 miles so far but looking forward to a few miles next year.
b7cfc43c31290190b693dd70161365b3.jpg

a0098054a52290f7b0a3ea72d17e702c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I struggled with my GSA as it was too tall, despite seat mods etc. My fault entirely for buying it - so I sold it and bought a GS Rallye - it's much better suited to me and is certainly that bit lower/more manouverable, which makes my rides more enjoyable :thumb

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 717
  • GSA1.jpg
    GSA1.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 707
I went from a GS to Adventure and back to a GS for the same reason, if you’re a lone rider with or without a pillion the big tank can be really useful helping to cover big distances without fuel stops, however if you go on trips with other guys who have smaller tanks ie 20 litres or maybe less your fuel stops will be governed by the bike with the smallest tank.

I remember going to Austria on my GSA with a gang of lads on various bikes and every time they stopped to fill up I ended brimming up my GSA as it didn’t feel quite right trying to partially fill it.
Unfortunately as I was the only one in the group riding two-up I always had the heaviest bike and I knew it.

I really loved the GSA though, I felt king of the road when on it, but I did end up swopping back to a GS and I’ve stayed with the GS’s since.

I’ve gone the other direction. I put 7500 miles on a normal GS last year but wanted the bigger tank of the Adventure.

I’m curious about why you wanted the bigger tank. Given that a standard GS will do the thick end of 175 miles on a tank and most arses need a test well before that, what’s the upside - and does it really outweigh the top-heavy nature of the GSA?

I’m curious about why you wanted the bigger tank. Given that a standard GS will do the thick end of 175 miles on a tank and most arses need a test well before that, what’s the upside - and does it really outweigh the top-heavy nature of the GSA?

I think it was man maths. I was out with 3 GSA’s and they seemed to fill up in the morning and that was it. And I filled up twice. I’ll let you know this time next year if I have done the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A GS isn't exactly a looker but a GSA looks terrible to me. I have ridden the latter a fair bit but would never buy one - I can't see any benefit really unless going off road and even then I think it is not the most suitable bike for that kind of thing so why bother? Each to their own of course - just my opinion and I am not being critical of anyone who has one.

GS every time for me.

I regularly get 220-230 miles per tank on my 1250 gs,only motorway rides at 80 plus see it drop

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

I went from a GS to Adventure and back to a GS for the same reason, if you’re a lone rider with or without a pillion the big tank can be really useful helping to cover big distances without fuel stops, however if you go on trips with other guys who have smaller tanks ie 20 litres or maybe less your fuel stops will be governed by the bike with the smallest tank.

I remember going to Austria on my GSA with a gang of lads on various bikes and every time they stopped to fill up I ended brimming up my GSA as it didn’t feel quite right trying to partially fill it.
Unfortunately as I was the only one in the group riding two-up I always had the heaviest bike and I knew it.

I really loved the GSA though, I felt king of the road when on it, but I did end up swopping back to a GS and I’ve stayed with the GS’s since.

Me too. I loved the GSA but would always stop when others needed fuel, and often filled mine too…. + I always needed a stop / stretch every hour or so anyway. Don’t think I ever really benefitted from the additional fuel range at all to be honest. I just liked the presence / looks of the bike. Now have a 1250GS and find it more ‘manageable’ - still good for 200 miles out of a tank, which is plenty for me, as I’d be stopping anyway !

Tank range wise, my 05 GS would get just over 200 to reserve when touring. Went over to Austria, Slovenia twice with mates on GSA's and a KTM that had a thimble for a tank (Roomie!) and the GS range was never an issue. I now have an Africa Twin which does around 300 to reserve, comparable to a GSA. It's great not having to stop for fuel so often, and for winding up errant KTM riders over the comms when we refuel, but really it's only relevant when doing a long stint in the UK or when touring. For rides within my neck of the woods it makes no difference and I could just as happily be on a regular Africa Twin with it's 180-200-ish tank range.

I'm on a GS, I quite like the GSA but seriously think it would simply be for bragging rights, it's the 'top' model in the range.
However for the majority of road users(non bikers), it makes sod all difference in the rear view mirror and few pulses will race faster if the on-coming bike is a fat GSA.

The increase in theoretical range is valid in very few instances as the frequency of stops is rarely dictated by tank size on a GS - arses/pillions and other bikes will determine that.

In fact the increased tank size is a positive disadvantage in a lot of respects, people have mentioned topping up at fuel stops, I guess unless you can cover at least twice the miles of the other tanks in the riding group, you have to top up otherwise you will be the one who needs to stop next.
Unless you are really good at filling to 2/3rds at each stop, the weight you are carrying around unnecessarily is a total negative.

Also, they are slower and heavier and uglier. (and harder to pick up after it's had a rest)

There, almost convinced myself that I'm on the perfect bike...

Hello all.
Only my second post on this Forum so please be patience with me.
So I'm currently the owner of a 1250 GS adventure TE. What a great bike it is.
To be honest I cant really fault it but I do have one gripe. The 30 litre tank!
On a recent trip to BMW Off Road experience in Wales I rode what I guess would be the Rallye. I found that the bike just had a much more user friendly experience to it and in terms of looks it was way nicer also.
So in an ideal world I think I'd like the same bike but just with the smaller tank. I'm aware that there are some differences between the two: angles on the front end, different gearing ratio, slightly heavier fly wheel are some of the differences I've came across and to be honest I don't think any of these would make a particular difference to me.
I've had a play about on the BMW configurator and from what I can see I can actually get the same bike, or very similar, at a slightly higher price.
So I was wondering if anybody here has went down the same route or changed in the opposite direction and went for a GSA? Did the they regret it or never look back?
Would be interesting to hear any comments on what I'd miss out on from the GSA in terms of spec etc or is it possible to get virtually the same bike?

Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I came over to the GS range in May this year by way of a 3 year ride on a new 2018 K1600 GTL choosing a GSA TE. I found the GSA to be far, far lighter and capable, benefitting from relatively gentle off-road rides as a bonus visiting places, particularly in the Alps (I live in Vienna Austria) that were inaccessible to the GTL. Moreover, I found the GSA, I'm 6'5", had far more room and thus was very comfortable made more so by lowered pegs and a Russell Day Long seat to replace the torture contraption (for me) that BMW put on the GSA as stock. Fortunately the greater ground clearance of the GSA enabled lowered pegs without encroaching on leanability in the twisties.

Whilst I hear what people say about the 30 litre tank and fill ups when riding with friends I find I fill up every other stop and when riding alone the combination of greater all day comfort courtesy of an RDL and lowered pegs coupled to 550Km range enables me to do intercontinental distances with ease and without fuel anxiety. All that said each to their own, for my part I'm a very happy camper, the bike does all I ask of it and more.

Stay safe and well.

Regards,

Tony

Can’t speak for the Op, but I regularly ride more than 175 miles without stopping, swapped a 1200GSA with a range of 350 miles to a KTM 1290SAS that has a smaller 23l tank and range of 250 miles and the one and only thing I miss is that extra 100 mile range.

I briefly owned both! I regularly did a 500-mile round trip to my girlfriend's house (I am in NW England, she's near St Albans about 20 miles N of London).

The GSA was wonderful for that trip. But...that was it! Whizzing around the Lakes and Yorks Dales, I found the GSA to be a barge of a beast. The GSA has a very purposeful character, making it great for my 500 mile trips, but for me, it has no playful side.

I'm also with Snelly - The GSA with it's scaffolding bars just looks fugly.

Finally the weight. Not so much the extra weight but where it carries that weight. Wheeling the GSA around the garage, and onto my Sealey bike lift was just plain scary! Balancing the bike 20cm higher than the driveway, and trying to put it on it's centre stand was a big challenge!

If you do big mileages regularly, the GSA makes sense, but I missed the flickable playful nature, and better looks of the GS... Sadly I sold the GSA and now have a smaller bike (V85TT) for dodging around the Lakes/Dales, but SWMBO will only go on the GS - she loves the pillion perch!

GS for me

I had a 1200GSA years ago, but didn’t like the extra weight, and had no real use for the extra range as bikes I was riding with had smaller tank ranges.
Also, I prefer the looks of the 1250GS to the 1250GSA, and the lighter bike suits me better as I only weigh 80kgs (unlike some larger people in here)

If I was given a gsa, I’d trade it for a Gs.

Each to their own, some will prefer a GS, some a GSA. No right or wrong, just what’s right for the individual

Just bought my first ever boxer after riding gs 800/850 and a couple of other smaller bikes.
The main reasons why I personally went for the 1250 GS were the height and the lower weight. I’m only just north of 70kg, so manoeuvring in tight spaces and on my gravel is a big issue. Although I’m 5ft 11, I certainly would miss not being flat footed when I slowly drive in and turn on my drive. Having just come from an 850, the slightly lower height is spot on. The gsa would be slightly higher (I think) than the 850. My 1250 may end up having a sleep sometime on my drive, but it would’ve been a certainty if I’d plumped for the bigger brother gsa

I test rode both the 1250 GS and GSA earlier this year. I liked the extra weather protection on the GSA and the extra visibility afforded by the fog lights. However at 5ft 10 I found I was on tiptoes on the GSA. As soon as I put the suspension in low mode I just felt that bit more at ease.

Rather than have to ride a bike with adjustable suspension in its lowest setting the whole time, I plumped for the standard GS and simply added the GSA windscreen and spotlights to my order. As I went for the triple black model it also meant I got cast wheels as standard which I much prefer having spent years struggling to clean the spoked wheels on my 1150 GS .

I’m only riding for pleasure so more frequent fuel stops aren’t really a problem. Had I been commuting every day to work on the bike then the extra tank range might have made the difference between filling up once or twice a week.

Happy with my choice but both are really good bikes.

Intentionally chose the GS three times over the GSA and used all 3 of them to tour everywhere around Europe. Everytime I rode the GSA, it was bloated, top heavy, and the geometry simply no fun on the road. Offroad, the GS was plenty big enough - I would never have enjoyed having to manage the extra size and weight of the GSA. Excuses of tank range are really poor imho in the developed world, when there are fuel garages pretty much everywhere you may ride - and always well within 100 miles of wherever you may be. If you are regularly riding the Highway of Dry Bones, then perhaps I could understand why you’d like the extra tank range, but then again you’d probably have extra jerry cans with you anyway. The geometry of the GS is so much more lively and dynamic, the comfort is better on the GS because the tank is narrower than the GSA causing less splay yet offers the same seat, and the GS is 20kg lighter. I cannot help but laugh every time I see GSAs in Surrey as the plonker on it has likely made their decision for nothing but vanity, not the ride.

I cannot help but laugh every time I see GSAs in Surrey as the plonker on it has likely made their decision for nothing but vanity, not the ride.

This amused me… stereotyping; isn’t this supposed to be similar to what non GS/A riders think when they see a GS on the road.

Back
Top Bottom