To start or not to start.... that is the question

My bike is going into hibernation for at least 10 weeks due to my forthcoming hip surgery and resulting recovery, a pal says "don't start it up whilst its in hibernation as it can cause condensation to develop within the engine internals", I would have thought that to start her up once in a while wouldn't do any harm

Opinions please . The bike is an R1250 GS :thumby:

It is unarguable that it will produce condensation, because that's how IC engines work. Why do it ? What do you want to achieve ?

That's the difference Tim You start it and ride it :aidan

So many used to start them and think they were doing a great job by doing so

Until They would not start any more :rob

You're right of course but I have to admit to rolling a smoke with a morning coffee sometimes and starting up my 950SE just to sit watching and listening to it :D

This is a 1250 we are talking about.... it will have dissolved in that time!

Nah , it’s just that he wouldn’t have anywhere to put his feet with those failing foot pegs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just park it and when you are good to go start it and go for a spin, simples. Too much bollocks talked about this kind of thing.

Sorry but I disagree! Its just a bit of common sense and mechanical sympathy! IF IT IS NOT GOING TO BE RIDDEN :thumb

Having had to sort out bikes over many years for folks that have been left with only a few litres in the tank and rubber components perished or oil that had turned white and the owner panicking about why! Or the owners that have started them in the garage and come out an hour later to a puddle of burnt oil and a melted set of hall sensors because they left the motor running nod then wandered off or their phone rang !!!

All from actual experiences! The fuel tank issue is a real thing and even more so with the crap fuels that we have now! The number of stuck pumps and gummy consistency hoses I have changed a significant few components this last while for just that

Brimming a tank stops the evaporation of the volatile components and the fuel going off

Adding Fuel stabiliser also stops the fuel going off and keep the injectors and FPRs free from varnish

Keeping the wheels off the ground and/or inflating to 50 PSI helps keeps the tyres round

Disconnecting the battery stops it draining down and is safer than leaving a charger on all winter

Small things but if you aren't going to use it why abuse it

Trickle charger = pet hate :rob

Sorry but I disagree! Its just a bit of common sense and mechanical sympathy! IF IT IS NOT GOING TO BE RIDDEN :thumb

Having had to sort out bikes over many years for folks that have been left with only a few litres in the tank and rubber components perished or oil that had turned white and the owner panicking about why! Or the owners that have started them in the garage and come out an hour later to a puddle of burnt oil and a melted set of hall sensors because they left the motor running nod then wandered off or their phone rang !!!

All from actual experiences! The fuel tank issue is a real thing and even more so with the crap fuels that we have now! The number of stuck pumps and gummy consistency hoses I have changed a significant few components this last while for just that

Brimming a tank stops the evaporation of the volatile components and the fuel going off

Adding Fuel stabiliser also stops the fuel going off and keep the injectors and FPRs free from varnish

Keeping the wheels off the ground and/or inflating to 50 PSI helps keeps the tyres round

Disconnecting the battery stops it draining down and is safer than leaving a charger on all winter

Small things but if you aren't going to use it why abuse it

Trickle charger = pet hate :rob
It's only 10 weeks! That's less time than most folks park it up during the winter when the salt goes down. Mine went that long before my last ride just because of the shit life throws at you. All I did was pop the charger on it the night before, just in case, the battery is 5 years old now. As usual first touch of the srarter and away she goes.
Just throw a dust sheet over the bike and let it rest.

Where i live in the North of England the roads are salted for 7 months. In spring 2021 they were still salting on May7th . So my GSA is laid up for more than 30 weeks. Charge it once a week for 24 hours. On side stand, roll to different position every week. Tank near full with E5. Low wattage heater under bike when humidity is high. Never had any problems in 50 years.

Where i live in the North of England the roads are salted for 7 months. In spring 2021 they were still salting on May7th . So my GSA is laid up for more than 30 weeks. Charge it once a week for 24 hours. On side stand, roll to different position every week. Tank near full with E5. Low wattage heater under bike when humidity is high. Never had any problems in 50 years.

BUT you are taking preventative measures! Good Call :rob

Back
Top Bottom