M8 owners please read.

Oil pump not scavenging properly….? Crank flex..? :D

You can sort the first problem out with a lovely Stage 2 and full cam chest upgrade (including oil pump)! Completely changes the bike’s character.

As for crank flex, I guess you just have to turn up the radio to drown out any nasty noises :D

Fingers crossed it gets sorted Si.
I'm gutted for you.

That would probably be a help, how do you know?

From my motor trade days

Short-term right to reject – the first 30 days
If your new or used car has a significant fault that was present when you bought it (as opposed to developing afterwards), you can reject the car within the first 30 days and get a full refund.

You do not have to accept a repair or replacement vehicle (although you can if you want to).

If you have part-exchanged your previous car on the new one, you will not get it back. Instead, you will be entitled to the full invoice price of the car (including road tax, VAT, etc).

You are entitled to a full refund by the same method in which you paid for the car. The dealer cannot charge for usage, wear and tear, collection of the vehicle or anything else.

It is the dealer’s obligation to collect the vehicle, unless your sales contract includes a clause obliging you to return the car. You only have to make sure the car is available to collect.

Be reasonable about this and work with the dealer if you want to get your money back with minimal fuss. Make their lives difficult and you can be sure they will return the favour…

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/#2-short-term-right-to-reject-–-the-first-30-days

For this to be invoked, doesn't the bike have to demonstrate a "significant fault"?

At the moment it appears to have a failure of proper maintenance which may (or may not) lead to a significant fault.

I only ask as someone who is having a fun regarding a faulty car where the wording of the terms of warranty - and the subsequent motor ombudsman process - are such that it's not working in my favour. The one thing I would say to Big Si is to put everything in writing, or if there is a spoken discussion, follow it up in writing.

For this to be invoked, doesn't the bike have to demonstrate a "significant fault"?

At the moment it appears to have a failure of proper maintenance which may (or may not) lead to a significant fault.

I only ask as someone who is having a fun regarding a faulty car where the wording of the terms of warranty - and the subsequent motor ombudsman process - are such that it's not working in my favour. The one thing I would say to Big Si is to put everything in writing, or if there is a spoken discussion, follow it up in writing.

Thanks Gyp, that's all done and things are progressing.:thumb2

See post 183 half way down, Big Si suggested this as a potential way to resolve.

None of us know yet what the Dealer will offer, and ultimately it’s Si’s purchase, his bike, his risk and only he can decide if he’s happy.

Fortunately Si is no mug, and I’m sure he won’t fall for any “Dealer Bullshit”

Fingers crossed for you Si, let us know how it goes tomorrow :beerjug:

Can I remind you that we endured a similar fiasco with my wife's car back in May, as I mentioned previously. The period for rejection as unfit is brief in the UK; we don't have a Lemon Law as such - let the days slide by & you own any problems that may/may not occur subsequently. Dealers know this, so are skilled in the art of stringing the punter along. Third party warranty companies are rightly wary of any early claims too. Just sayin.

Of course it's down to Big Si; the bike looks great &, like all of us when enjoying that initial enthusiasm when the new steed arrives, it's hugely disappointing when something like this comes along to burst the balloon.

Can I remind you that we endured a similar fiasco with my wife's car back in May, as I mentioned previously. The period for rejection as unfit is brief in the UK; we don't have a Lemon Law as such - let the days slide by & you own any problems that may/may not occur subsequently. Dealers know this, so are skilled in the art of stringing the punter along. Third party warranty companies are rightly wary of any early claims too. Just sayin.

Of course it's down to Big Si; the bike looks great &, like all of us when enjoying that initial enthusiasm when the new steed arrives, it's hugely disappointing when something like this comes along to burst the balloon.

Thanks.:thumb I think I have got it covered. I have it in writing after some "negotiation" (in fairness the dealer put his hands up straight away), that it is to be collected by the local H-D dealer, and the gearbox is to be thoroughly inspected for damage. If it's ok, they will fit the primary vent kit. All this will be paid for by the selling dealer (Charles Hurst). In the event the gearbox is damaged I can reject the bike and get a full refund for the total sale price of the bike.

I haven't considered what Charles Hurst will do if the gearbox proves to be damaged and I reject it. They will have to get it fixed unless they want to sell the bike with the fault. Not my problem then though.:nenau

The salesman from Charles Hurst has been really good all the way along....credit where credit's due. He admitted it was his fault from the off.:thumb

I think I have got it covered. I have it in writing after some "negotiation" (in fairness the dealer put his hands up straight away), that it is to be collected by the local H-D dealer, and the gearbox is to be thoroughly inspected for damage. If it's ok, they will fit the primary vent kit. All this will be paid for by the selling dealer (Charles Hurst). In the event the gearbox is damaged I can reject the bike and get a full refund for the total sale price of the bike.

I haven't considered what Charles Hurst will do if the gearbox proves to be damaged and I reject it. They will have to get it fixed unless they want to sell the bike with the fault. Not my problem then though.:nenau

The salesman from Charles Hurst has been really good all the way along....credit where credit's due. He admitted it was his fault from the off.

Great news Si, pleased you found a resolution you are happy with.

Keeping my fingers crossed the gearbox in undamaged and you can get a free vent kit fitted. :beerjug:

Great news Si, pleased you found a resolution you are happy with.

Keeping my fingers crossed the gearbox in undamaged and you can get a free vent kit fitted. :beerjug:

Thanks, it would have been a ball ache to have to start searching and haggling again. Plus this bike has a long list of extras. At least hopefully this way I get a used bike that has had a proper gearbox check, not something that normally happens.:thumb2

A suggestion? Ask to be there when they pull it down to inspect it? What dealer are they taking it to? The little “sump” marked up here collects any dwarf/debris and isn’t cleared when the oil is changed. An area to pay attention to. I’m an old sceptic so am wary about “dealer” attention to doing things thoroughly….

Attachments

• 39CBC453-5440-41B0-B60A-5B8DA2566D96.jpeg
    39CBC453-5440-41B0-B60A-5B8DA2566D96.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 107
A suggestion? Ask to be there when they pull it down to inspect it? What dealer are they taking it to? The little “sump” marked up here collects any dwarf/debris and isn’t cleared when the oil is changed. An area to pay attention to. I’m an old sceptic so am wary about “dealer” attention to doing things thoroughly….

I didn't know about the little sump arrangement, I'll be honest, but they have promised a gearbox out and strip job. If I'm free, I'll go in and watch, (which I've done in the past). I did say to them that a cursory "removing the top cover and peering in with a torch" approach would not be good enough. Cheers, I appreciate the tip.:thumb

It's going to Cheltenham HD. They are waiting for their "MASTER TECH":rolleyes: to get back from holiday next Monday before anything happens. The selling dealer wasn't interested in it going to a non HD franchise workshop...I did ask.

The anointed HD franchise will be delighted I'm sure. I wonder how a Honda dealer took on an M8 RKS without doing the obvious checks & then missed this at PDI - just imagine explaining it to the Sales Manager & Dealer Principal; I bet the air was blue.

Anyway, the important thing is that Si has a solution he is happy with.

Keep us posted.

The anointed HD franchise will be delighted I'm sure. I wonder how a Honda dealer took on an M8 RKS without doing the obvious checks & then missed this at PDI - just imagine explaining it to the Sales Manager & Dealer Principal; I bet the air was blue.

Anyway, the important thing is that Si has a solution he is happy with.

Keep us posted.

TBH I have been wondering if it came into the hands of the Honda dealer through a HD dealer who had spotted the problem and bailed out ?

Ionly say that as i suspect it is unusual for a HD owner to PX for a Honda

Obvs i could be wrong but a HD in a Honda dealers is a bit out of place in my mind as none franchise often use franchised as underwriters for value and pass it on to them

Back
Top Bottom