M8 owners please read.

Big Si to the rescue on the oil front.
And i have found the dipstick thingy.;)

Was oven in Nottingham in February 2019 and paid a visit to Robin Hood HD. They had 2 black RKS's. I intended to buy one but the reaction I got when looking for £500 off was unbelievable. A cash deal and taking the bike to Ireland, freeing them of any hassle and they baulked. They also wanted me to transfer the money through an Irish HD dealership or some bullshit like that.
Bf

Was oven in Nottingham in February 2019 and paid a visit to Robin Hood HD. They had 2 black RKS's. I intended to buy one but the reaction I got when looking for £500 off was unbelievable. A cash deal and taking the bike to Ireland, freeing them of any hassle and they baulked. They also wanted me to transfer the money through an Irish HD dealership or some bullshit like that.
Bf

Why would they give you £500 off? As far as I remember in 2019 they could sell every RKS they had.

A cash deal and taking the bike to Ireland, freeing them of any hassle.
One of them sat there till the end of the year and they knocked a grand off it.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

They are more likely to give you money off the bike if you take their finance as they make money on that. You can normally wangle money off accessories, free servicing or store credit as opposed to the new bike price.

That’s no incentive, they don’t give a fuck about their customers anyway whether you are local or not.

Got a nice call from Steve at Sykes today thanking me for the bottle of Jack Daniels I sent him as a thank you for being a stand out guy who actually really wanted to help. It nice to be nice, karma and all that :thumb

As I'm still on an old 88 Twin Cam, I can still enjoy the CCT shoe problem for a while yet.

I seem to remember watching various 'Doc Harley' YouTube vids on the M8 issues a while back, so thought it best to let the new motor maturate a while before taking the plunge.

A shame as I was almost drawn to a 115 Anniversary EG in the summer.

For information purposes, the following is a cut and paste written by an Australian M8 engined Roadglide owner from HDRCGB forum regarding the M8 oil transfer problem that some bikes develop.........

" You don't need the fat pushrod. Good luck to that guy Greg at Macomb Choppers in Georgia USA who sold a lot of those in the first year of the issue surfacing.

You just need the vent that the factory fitted under warranty, now an official part. It's a simple job you can do yourself, or get it done at the next service.

It's basically a plug of rubber with a hose to atmosphere and it is fitted to the far top right rear corner of inner primary. It is the 100% cure.... that pushrod was a profitable Band-Aid for the Georgia guy.

In the meantime DO NOT PANIC. Enjoy your bike. At worst, you will have to drain primary every 500-600 miles or so until you get the plug vent done, and check/top up the gearbox oil level..

Lower gearbox oil level during this has never resulted in a report/claim of gear damage far as I know" ( Looks like ukGSer have evidence to the contrary :rolleyes:).
cut and paste continues...... "That would make sense to me.... I ran really low oil in my 1980 FXWG gearbox for a few years owing to laziness in replacing worn mainshaft/bushing/spacer and a stuffed seal when it was my only ride..no harm done at all. (fixed that finally).

On my 2019 RG I had the transfer issue for about 2000 miles, in 2019. Couldn't be arsed taking it in specially to be fixed under warranty.... it's a minor inconvenience. As a Shovelhead owner, I found it as troubling as checking battery voltage. But of course, a lot of people who seemingly do not own a spanner went freakazoid about it all over social media. Yawn.

Originally posted by Robert Gunter View Post
yourself the Greg Williams pushrod from Macomb Choppers (they’re on FB).
Many people have had the vent offered by Harley and very mixed results..... some say even worse!

I'm sorry, I call BS - not on your post Robert but on the ''mixed results'' claim and the reports from ''some'' that it was ''even worse'' ... I am on a Road Glide forum where dozens reported having had the fix done at dealerships and every last one said it was the cure. And I back that from PERSONAL experience. I watched all the feedback like a hawk.

When the factory vent kit arrived at US dealerships I took a scan of the official parts sheet, diagram and fitting instructions posted on the RG forum by one of the first guys to get it done in the US, and took it straight to my warranty dealership. They were very intrigued, they had never seen the info and had no record of the part on the Australian H-D database at that stage. They rang H-D Australia HQ and got confirmation that it was coming Down Under. I was all over it.

The factory fitted the vent to all hydraulic clutch M8s from late 2019 because it worked perfectly under warranty..

Greg Williams won't be selling hardly any of those pushrods now. But good on him for spotting the gap in the market while it existed."

From this it would appear that the primary vent fix seems to do the trick. :thumb

The following is a cut and paste written by an Australian M8 engined Roadglide owner from HDRCGB forum regarding the M8 oil transfer problem that some bikes develop.........

" You don't need the fat pushrod. Good luck to that guy Greg at Macomb Choppers in Georgia USA who sold a lot of those in the first year of the issue surfacing.

You just need the vent that the factory fitted under warranty, now an official part. It's a simple job you can do yourself, or get it done at the next service.

It's basically a plug of rubber with a hose to atmosphere and it is fitted to the far top right rear corner of inner primary. It is the 100% cure.... that pushrod was a profitable Band-Aid for the Georgia guy.

In the meantime DO NOT PANIC. Enjoy your bike. At worst, you will have to drain primary every 500-600 miles or so until you get the plug vent done, and check/top up the gearbox oil level..

Lower gearbox oil level during this has never resulted in a report/claim of gear damage far as I know" ( Looks like ukGSer have evidence to the contrary :rolleyes:).
cut and paste continues...... "That would make sense to me.... I ran really low oil in my 1980 FXWG gearbox for a few years owing to laziness in replacing worn mainshaft/bushing/spacer and a stuffed seal when it was my only ride..no harm done at all. (fixed that finally).

On my 2019 RG I had the transfer issue for about 2000 miles, in 2019. Couldn't be arsed taking it in specially to be fixed under warranty.... it's a minor inconvenience. As a Shovelhead owner, I found it as troubling as checking battery voltage. But of course, a lot of people who seemingly do not own a spanner went freakazoid about it all over social media. Yawn.

Originally posted by Robert Gunter View Post
yourself the Greg Williams pushrod from Macomb Choppers (they’re on FB).
Many people have had the vent offered by Harley and very mixed results..... some say even worse!
I'm sorry, I call BS - not on your post Robert but on the ''mixed results'' claim and the reports from ''some'' that it was ''even worse'' ... I am on a Road Glide forum where dozens reported having had the fix done at dealerships and every last one said it was the cure. And I back that from PERSONAL experience. I watched all the feedback like a hawk.

When the factory vent kit arrived at US dealerships I took a scan of the official parts sheet, diagram and fitting instructions posted on the RG forum by one of the first guys to get it done in the US, and took it straight to my warranty dealership. They were very intrigued, they had never seen the info and had no record of the part on the Australian H-D database at that stage. They rang H-D Australia HQ and got confirmation that it was coming Down Under. I was all over it.

The factory fitted the vent to all hydraulic clutch M8s from late 2019 because it worked perfectly under warranty..

Greg Williams won't be selling hardly any of those pushrods now. But good on him for spotting the gap in the market while it existed."

From this it would appear that the primary vent fix seems to do the trick. :thumb

Which is all well and good, except that my bike had the vent fitted and it looks like it didn’t solve anything.

My guess is that the vent fixes most people in the U.K. as their rides are a couple of hundred miles max over the course of a day, through mild temperatures and relatively low speed.
Our trip to Spain was 700+ miles a day, through reasonably warm weather at sustained 75-80mph speeds. It’s the only change I can think of that might have caused it to start transferring from gearbox to sump. I did 2 oil changes (10,000 miles) and it hadn’t moved a drop.

Which is all well and good, except that my bike had the vent fitted and it looks like it didn’t solve anything.

My guess is that the vent fixes most people in the U.K. as their rides are a couple of hundred miles max over the course of a day, through mild temperatures and relatively low speed.
Our trip to Spain was 700+ miles a day, through reasonably warm weather at sustained 75-80mph speeds. It’s the only change I can think of that might have caused it to start transferring from gearbox to sump. I did 2 oil changes (10,000 miles) and it hadn’t moved a drop.

I didn't realise your bike had the vent fitted Phil.:nenau

Phil, I think you’re getting a bit confused. The gearbox oil doesn’t go to the “sump”. It goes into the primary case. The breather you had fitted was for a different problem. Cheers, J

Phil, I think you’re getting a bit confused. The gearbox oil doesn’t go to the “sump”. It goes into the primary case. The breather you had fitted was for a different problem. Cheers, J

Sorry, don’t know why I put sump, I meant Primary :blast

I understand the oil transfer issue, from gearbox to primary, and understand that engine oil is contained completely separately and cannot be contaminated by transmission oil (that’s why I used heavy synthetic gear oil in the transmission and primary and syn3 in the engine).

The bike had the vent fitted at the back of the primary (the vented oil filler for the engine was just an experiment, which btw did feck all).

My bike had that vent at the back of the primary and when changing/checking oils, there was no movement. Whenever I removed the primary cover at service, the oil level in there was spot on. My brothers bike had issues with transfer from the gearbox, removing the primary cover prior to draining the primary resulted in a bit of a mess as the oil level was so high in the primary. We ended up retro fitting the vent to his primary in order to try and stop that gearbox to primary transfer issue.

I’m just really surprised that it has transferred. It has never done it prior under my ownership, hence why I can only assume that the temperature and long days at sustained speed have contributed to that problem occurring, even with Harleys bodge job of an attempted fix….ie ‘the primary vent’.

I'm sure Doris or Big Si will come up with a solution.
I await instructions.

OK so some of this makes sense but I’m still a bit confused and got a couple of questions

Phil - you say you fitted a vent to the crankcase. Did you do that yourself or did a dealer do it, and what was the reason for it?

I’m also interested in what’s happened with your brother’s bike. I think it’s slightly older than yours and you said it used to suffer quite a lot of oil movement between the transmission and primary. Has he taken it to a dealer to have the vent fitted and did that make any difference? I’m guessing he has also not had any gearbox issues either?

OK so some of this makes sense but I’m still a bit confused and got a couple of questions

Phil - you say you fitted a vent to the crankcase. Did you do that yourself or did a dealer do it, and what was the reason for it?

I’m also interested in what’s happened with your brother’s bike. I think it’s slightly older than yours and you said it used to suffer quite a lot of oil movement between the transmission and primary. Has he taken it to a dealer to have the vent fitted and did that make any difference? I’m guessing he has also not had any gearbox issues either?

What year is yours Toddy ? Mine is a 2019

Check your build dates…. Bikes built after May 2019 had the primary vent installed at Factory.. ( according to HDForums)

Pre May 2019 needs doing… can be done by “request” it seems

Wouldn't it just be easier & more sensible to buy an Indian?

Back
Top Bottom