M8 owners please read.

Check your build dates…. Bikes built after May 2019 had the primary vent installed at Factory.. ( according to HDForums)

Pre May 2019 needs doing… can be done by “request” it seems

Just checked mine (a June 2019) and the vent is installed. No idea if that was a factory fit or done by the Dealer afterwards!

Result… fingers crossed for Doc..

Cheers Twizzle.
I will check vin plate tomorrow. I have a feeling it has not been done but no worries if it hasn't.
I will phone dealers Monday to arrange to get it done for peace of mind.
No way am i doing it. I do have a drill though and some old masonry bits.:D

And cheers Big Si. Your a good un.

Cheers Twizzle.
I will check vin plate tomorrow. I have a feeling it has not been done but no worries if it hasn't.
I will phone dealers Monday to arrange to get it done for peace of mind.
No way am i doing it. I do have a drill though and some old masonry bits.:D

And cheers Big Si. Your a good un.

It’s easy to check Chris, just watch this video and you’ll see where the tube comes out on the bike. Then just go look for similar on your bike - simples!

https://youtu.be/l8g4xxXNuus

I agree with your though, if it’s not been done get the Dealer to do it as it looks like you’ve got to drill just in the right place. All the risk is with them then!

It’s easy to check Chris, just watch this video and you’ll see where the tube comes out on the bike. Then just go look for similar on your bike - simples!

https://youtu.be/l8g4xxXNuus

I agree with your though, if it’s not been done get the Dealer to do it as it looks like you’ve got to drill just in the right place. All the risk is with them then!

Cheers pal.

OK so some of this makes sense but I’m still a bit confused and got a couple of questions

Phil - you say you fitted a vent to the crankcase. Did you do that yourself or did a dealer do it, and what was the reason for it?

I’m also interested in what’s happened with your brother’s bike. I think it’s slightly older than yours and you said it used to suffer quite a lot of oil movement between the transmission and primary. Has he taken it to a dealer to have the vent fitted and did that make any difference? I’m guessing he has also not had any gearbox issues either?

The oil filler vent was a test, there was talk of excessive back pressure within the crankcase causing oil to be blown through the air filter breathers and causing excessive carbon build up on the pistons. Venting the sump via the oil filler cap is supposed to reduce this and also ‘free up’ the motor. Personally I didn’t notice any difference positive or negative.

My brothers bike was a 2017 and suffered badly from oil transfer. We fitted the primary vent (simple job) as mine had no similar problem with the vent installed, and it did appear to fix the problem. His bike had some significantly less mileage than mine (circa 5000 when we left for Spain as opposed to the 15k on mine.

I’m still amazed that it has transferred from the gearbox as it hadn’t previously.

The oil filler vent was a test, there was talk of excessive back pressure within the crankcase causing oil to be blown through the air filter breathers and causing excessive carbon build up on the pistons. Venting the sump via the oil filler cap is supposed to reduce this and also ‘free up’ the motor. Personally I didn’t notice any difference positive or negative.

My brothers bike was a 2017 and suffered badly from oil transfer. We fitted the primary vent (simple job) as mine had no similar problem with the vent installed, and it did appear to fix the problem. His bike had some significantly less mileage than mine (circa 5000 when we left for Spain as opposed to the 15k on mine.

I’m still amazed that it has transferred from the gearbox as it hadn’t previously.

That does seem odd!

Did you have the Primary Vent fitted on yours too Phil, and was it a factory fit or afterwards (I think yours was a 2019 like mine)?

I think I will keep an eye on my levels going forwards, which I know you’re supposed to do but I haven’t really bothered in the year I’ve owned it! I shall do now though!

That does seem odd!

Did you have the Primary Vent fitted on yours too Phil, and was it a factory fit or afterwards (I think yours was a 2019 like mine)?

I think I will keep an eye on my levels going forwards, which I know you’re supposed to do but I haven’t really bothered in the year I’ve owned it! I shall do now though!

It was on the bike when I bought it, but I’m starting to wonder if it was fitted by the dealer following transfer issues earlier in its life???

It seemed to be working, I think this is a major flaw with the M8 transmission and HD haven’t managed to solve it completely.

The joke of it is their advice if the transmission oil is low, is to drop it to the dealers, they will change the oils and then ride another 5,000 miles and see if it’s still doing it. If you did that you could potentially have the same issue as me and fcuk your gearbox. Ok if they honour the warranty, but they do have a habit of not doing so even when it’s in the warranty period.

Ooh, you’ve fitted Vance and Hines pipes, that will invalidate your warranty! Honestly, they can be utter cnuts, there’s hundreds of those type of warranty dodges.

I’m glad I’m out as it seems to be something so irregular that can happen randomly, that I would be worried about when it would happen again.

I think the fat clutch rod and the vent is the best insurance for it not to happen, or for it to be so slow that it wouldn’t cause damage between services. For the price of the clutch rod it’s a no brainier imho.

Phone the dealer Si, tell em not to deliver if not done….. get them to retro fit..

Mine's coming from a Honda dealer in N.I. The sale chap that I am dealing with apparently used to be dealer principle at Belfast H-D who supplied the bike new. He therefore "knows" the bike and tells me the "fix" has not been done as the bike has not displayed any symptoms so far. H-D Ireland's (North & South) policy has been not to offer the " fix" unless the bike was noticeably suffering from the oil migration issues.
He knows and I know that the vent fix retails at approx £50, he has knocked that off the final deal figure. I can therefore buy the components and do it myself or get my local dealer to do it. I will get it done just for peace of mind, and have asked the service mgr. at Cheltenham H-D for a price (he is on holiday until Mon). If it's silly money I'll do it myself. Ultimately I'm not losing sleep over it, the issue, whilst not rare, is easily monitored ( provided you know to look for it) and hopefully, a few reasonably inexpensive steps can sort it.

Mine's coming from a Honda dealer in N.I. The sale chap that I am dealing with apparently used to be dealer principle at Belfast H-D who supplied the bike new. He therefore "knows" the bike and tells me the "fix" has not been done as the bike has not displayed any symptoms so far. H-D Ireland's (North & South) policy has been not to offer the " fix" unless the bike was noticeably suffering from the oil migration issues.
He knows and I know that the vent fix retails at approx £50, he has knocked that off the final deal figure. I can therefore buy the components and do it myself or get my local dealer to do it. I will get it done just for peace of mind, and have asked the service mgr. at Cheltenham H-D for a price (he is on holiday until Mon). If it's silly money I'll do it myself. Ultimately I'm not losing sleep over it, the issue, whilst not rare, is easily monitored ( provided you know to look for it) and hopefully, a few reasonably inexpensive steps can sort it.

I’d buy the fat clutch rod also to be doubly sure if I had my time again.

Mine had the vent, and it started completely transferring randomly, the thicker rod is an extra security for £100 ish

Cheers Twizzle.
I will check vin plate tomorrow.

dvla reg check will tell you when the bike was first registered Chris. Yours is a 114 which means it has to be at least a 2019 model year as previously to that the RKS was a 107.:thumb

I’d buy the fat clutch rod also to be doubly sure if I had my time again.

Mine had the vent, and it started completely transferring randomly, the thicker rod is an extra security for £100 ish

I would struggle to find out where i could source that but might give it a try :thumb

Most posts on HD Forum say the fat rod is a waste of time.

It seems you’ve been pretty unlucky Phil. From the bit I have managed to pick up from the internet, most owners seem to get advanced warning by spotting fluid transfer, and then the vent seems to fix it for most.

I shall keep a close eye on mine, which is no great trouble as it only takes a minute to check. Fingers crossed all will be good.

Back
Top Bottom