M8 owners please read.

Cheers all.

Shame it arrived so late and in the dark. Looking forward to having a good inspection tomorrow in the light. I've picked out the crowbar ( a nice sharp one) to knock a hole in the inner primary.

And feck it.....I meant to insure it today...completely slipped my mind...another job for tomorrow.:blast

Cheers all.

Shame it arrived so late and in the dark. Looking forward to having a good inspection tomorrow in the light. I've picked out the crowbar ( a nice sharp one) to knock a hole in the inner primary.

And feck it.....I meant to insure it today...completely slipped my mind...another job for tomorrow.:blast

Maybe to late. Somebody might have pinched it for the lights.

Primary vent.

Phil, was the vent fitted by previous owner or dealer? The guy who pulled it down said no vent fitted on the primary inner case. I’ll have a look myself tomorrow and report back.

The damage was this…. Plus all the bearings..

No big deal Phil, I bought it as advised and fully aware of the potential cost etc. I still agree the deal was fair and equitable …..it will live again…albeit in a somewhat modified form….:D

Flips bike definitely had the primary vent fitted because I used it as a reference when I fitted mine. Is the selector fork bent.

Just checked my transmission oil level...........do you see something missing??

Attachments

• gearbox dipstick.jpg
    gearbox dipstick.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 112
Just checked my transmission oil level...........do you see something missing??

OMG - thats terrible..has that come from a Harley Dealer?

How long has it been run like that with the previous owner??

OMG - thats terrible..has that come from a Harley Dealer?

How long has it been run like that with the previous owner??

No, not a Harley dealer....Honda. No idea how many miles it has been run without oil even reaching the dipstick. I have just sent a very testy email to the salesman I was dealing with. (who says he was the "Dealer Principle" of the local HD dealer and should know better). I can't take the primary off until tomorrow when the bench is free but I'm guessing that's where it's gone. I'll video it so I've got some proof if it pours out. If it doesn't, then it's just piss poor maintenance and/or dealer pre delivery checks and service.

Flips bike definitely had the primary vent fitted because I used it as a reference when I fitted mine. Is the selector fork bent.

I’ve only got second-hand information at the moment X2 . I’ve been laid up with the pox, so haven’t got over to look myself. If you’ve been to that level, I have no doubt you’ve seen it. So now we have a real problem. If it was fitted correctly, how on Earth did the bypass occur. The excess in the primary (250ml) coincided with the loss in the gearbox, so there’s no doubt it did occur. When you compared it, I presume you partially dissembled the primary on Phil’s bike to compare? At that point, was there any excess of oil? I’m hoping to get over later this week to talk it through.

I’ll say it one more time, in case anyone thinks otherwise. I’m happy with the bike and Phil. It’s what we discussed and agreed.

However, it is important to work out the cause, to prevent repeat and hand findings on to other owners.

The selector fork is not bent, it is worn. Giving enough play to not fully engage the cog, hence it dropping out under load.

Indeed, but far better to have caught it now.

But how far as the previous owner ridden with no oil in the gearbox….If I was Big Si I’m afraid it would be rejection time….

Back
Top Bottom