M8 owners please read.

Doris

Disturbed Member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Deep in the Forest amongst the little people..
Gents,

The saga of Flipfly’s gearbox issue is resolved. HD are well aware of the issue and have a (unbelievable) “fix”. More of that shortly.

Firstly, this is in no way aimed at Phil. I bought the bike expecting and prepared for the worst. I am more than happy with our deal. Fortunately, fixing this will cost me a wee bit less than some folks, so it’s all good here. Ok? :thumb2

We were going to just “flip” the bike, but I’ve become quite attached to it, so I shall be keeping it for a while to play with.

When we drained the oils, there was clear evidence of carry over from the gearbox to the primary. Witnessed by the volume in the primary being proportionately more than the norm, by the same amount the gearbox was short. The physical fix involves a full strip down and a “bung”.

Unfortunately the low level of oil at sometime in its life has lunched the components that sit high in the gearbox. We will be renewing every bearing alongside any damaged components.

None of this seems to be a concern to Harley. Their “fix”? Owners are advised to check the levels every day!! They also advise that, if an owner is incapable or unwilling to do so, any dealer will do this for free!! I shit you not.

Not all will do this, I suppose that’s why Harley don’t want to go to the expense of offering the real (expensive) fix to everyone. So folks, keep a real close eye on your levels, and if you spot the problem, hot foot to your dealer and make a fuss……Cheers, Doris

What's to be done if checking, finds the primary high and the box low? Are they saying you have to drain one and top up the other, ad nauseum? (is that english?)

Gents,

The saga of Flipfly’s gearbox issue is resolved. HD are well aware of the issue and have a (unbelievable) “fix”. More of that shortly.

Firstly, this is in no way aimed at Phil. I bought the bike expecting and prepared for the worst. I am more than happy with our deal. Fortunately, fixing this will cost me a wee bit less than some folks, so it’s all good here. Ok? :thumb2

We were going to just “flip” the bike, but I’ve become quite attached to it, so I shall be keeping it for a while to play with.

When we drained the oils, there was clear evidence of carry over from the gearbox to the primary. Witnessed by the volume in the primary being proportionately more than the norm, by the same amount the gearbox was short. The physical fix involves a full strip down and a “bung”.

Unfortunately the low level of oil at sometime in its life has lunched the components that sit high in the gearbox. We will be renewing every bearing alongside any damaged components.

None of this seems to be a concern to Harley. Their “fix”? Owners are advised to check the levels every day!! They also advise that, if an owner is incapable or unwilling to do so, any dealer will do this for free!! I shit you not.

Not all will do this, I suppose that’s why Harley don’t want to go to the expense of offering the real (expensive) fix to everyone. So folks, keep a real close eye on your levels, and if you spot the problem, hot foot to your dealer and make a fuss……Cheers, Doris

Thanks Doris, forewarned is forearmed as they say!

I must admit I haven’t really checked the levels that much since I bought mine, but I will be from now on.

It’s also comforting to know that there is a really simple way of spotting things are awry before anything goes wrong, after all it’s a 2 minute job to check the gearbox oil on these bikes so even a muppet like me can manage it!

Cheers for sharing the info and hope you enjoy riding the bike - I’m just waiting for you to tell me it’s not as good as a standard Road King :D

What's to be done if checking, finds the primary high and the box low? Are they saying you have to drain one and top up the other, ad nauseum? (is that english?)

I’d certainly be topping up the gearbox and then riding straight to the Dealer for a chat!

This makes the cam chain tensioner issue on 1999 to 2005/6 bikes sound a piece o' piss. I love my 88cu.:kissy2

Gents,

Thanks for the 'heads up' as they say. Mine arrives a week today so it'll be the first thing I look at. I did ask the dealer I bought it from (Honda) if the fix had been done but the salesman (ex Harley dealer principle) said that dealers aren't doing it unless a) they are requested to, or b) if the oil transfer is noticed and is causing a problem. Therefore mine hasn't been done.:blast Personally, I think this attitude feckin' stinks.

Is the fix you are talking about the drilling of the inside of the primary case and the insertion therein of a vent? :nenau

Also Jon, is this the same as or related to the sumping issue?

Thanks for the 'heads up' as they say. Mine arrives a week today so it'll be the first thing I look at. I did ask the dealer I bought it from (Honda) if the fix had been done but the salesman (ex Harley dealer principle) said that dealers aren't doing it unless a) they are requested to, or b) if the oil transfer is noticed and is causing a problem. Therefore mine hasn't been done.:blast Personally, I think this attitude feckin' stinks.

Is the fix you are talking about the drilling of the inside of the primary case and the insertion therein of a vent? :nenau

Also Jon, is this the same as or related to the sumping issue?

Yes, that’s the fix….however…..there is another suggested method…I don’t know how good it is, but empirical evidence suggests it works and it’s piss easy. Slumping is different. That’s flooding the crankcase with oil/inefficient scavenging. This is an oil pump/pump housing issue. Flip’s old motor will be modified as part of the build……

Yes, that’s the fix….however…..there is another suggested method…I don’t know how good it is, but empirical evidence suggests it works and it’s piss easy. Slumping is different. That’s flooding the crankcase with oil/inefficient scavenging. This is an oil pump/pump housing issue. Flip’s old motor will be modified as part of the build……

Cheers, I've sent you a text.:thumb

Back
Top Bottom