The most remote road on the Scottish mainland?

Yodagoat

Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ophgmM7Zoy8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some of you guys will recognise this road. Worth a look.

You need to stay of the crack pipe.

The scenery down that road rivals anywhere in the country, the road itself is a fucking nightmare and I've not watched the video.
Link won't open, which road is it? Up past Altnaharra / Loch Loyal etc by any chance? Beautiful...... but a shit road surface everywhere

Link won't open, which road is it? Up past Altnaharra / Loch Loyal etc by any chance? Beautiful...... but a shit road surface everywhere

Kinlochourn, not so sure the scenery at Altnaharra or Loch Loyal is that great tbh certainly nothing on Kinlochourn, best done in April, deer the size of Clydesdales at the side of the road by the hundred.

It's the Kinloch Hourn road. It's not bad. The Altnahara road is pretty good though. Pretty fast but you need to watch out for the gravel here and there.

Altnaharra does indeed looks like fun ;
84fb28c5554b32ef9e6fc71ca4d1c9ad.jpg

Surely the "most remote road on the Scottish mainland" is at Knoydart, you need a boat or an off road vehicle and permission to get to it.

I camped down at the end of the road at Kinloch Hourn a couple of years ago. It proper pissed down all evening and night. Which was dead boring as there is feck all down there for bad weather. Fortunately I’d put my tent on a bit of ground two inches higher than the rest of the field - just as well as most of the rest of the field was an inch deep in water in the morning. The best bit though was to discover that a pretty young German girl had walked in and set up her backpacking tent not far from me. She crawled out her tent in her undies and then stripped off by the side of the river for a wild wash. I tried to be discrete 😳. I later piled her and her rucksack on my bike and gave her lift about half way up the road where she set of again into the wilderness. She was on some epic multi day backpacking walk from somewhere in the north to somewhere in the south.

Anyway, I’m glad I went down the road and stayed there but the only reason to do so is to tick that box of probably the most remote road in Scotland.

Austin, she'll have likely been walking the Cape Wrath trail. My pillon was telling me how he'd walked a fair bit of Knoydart before we passed his pals. 😂

Great scenery and road, magic to get off main roads and explore these kinds of roads....the road less travelled and awe that......

I've not been there for 10 years? I wild camped at the end of the road and the midges were indeed fuckin' savage!

Walked in from Kinloch Hourn to Inverie a few times.
One of the finest low level walks anywhere.

Leave car at Ft William
Taxi to Kinloch Hourne
Walk in via Barrisdale
Boat from Inverie to Mallaig
Train back to FT Bill.
Smashing…

Oh and as an aside.. for anyone who has visited and enjoyed the Old Forge at Inverie… well, for the past few years it’s been run by a complete pillock.
Anyway, he’s going and the community is buying the Forge. So it might just turn back into a decent pub again.

For those that do not know ; Kinloch Hourne ( flagged)
69f6ae889f2b6400708af18671b98570.jpg

I think that Altnaharra should be officially crowned as “The Middle of Nowhere”

Not sure why a few have said it's a beautiful road, it's fecking bleak as fuck but hey ho...but it is in the middle of nowhere and possibly the coldest place on earth.

Back
Top Bottom