Clothes that double up

Berghaus Primaloft jacket, that can be worn under your motorcycle jacket, gortex liners for Twat suit not taken. Instead a Berghaus gortex jacket is used to slip over if it rains - The two work well for off the bike gear.

I do something the same.

The basic jacket, with a Mountain Equipment waterproof top, to go over the top. Both very light and pack up small. The waterproof top also acts as another layer, if it gets really chilly. Any idiot can get cold AND wet.

Montane Terra pants are brilliant walking trousers that are ideal for bike tours. They are smart enough, light, pack small, are hard wearing and completely windproof. If you get the light summer ones as well, they have vent zips in the sides! Not cheap but very high quality.

Edited to add that I just spotted a pair in the for sale section of the site - complete coincidence but you can buy them with confidence. Great kit.

Great detail in this thread, out of curiosity what is the outer layer that people are wearing over the likes of the clothes that double up.

Is it a specific bike jacket, have you found an outer layer that doubles up?

The likes of Rev it are really getting into the layering with the water proof layer on the inside which doubles up as a water proof jacket for off the bike

Great detail in this thread, out of curiosity what is the outer layer that people are wearing over the likes of the clothes that double up.

The likes of Rev it are really getting into the layering with the water proof layer on the inside which doubles up as a water proof jacket for off the bike
After many many years of commuting and touring i can honestly state that my opinion of a waterproof liner inside the jacket is as useful as a catflap on a submarine!

The outer bike jacket wets out, thus ensuring horrific windchill and a damp if not still wet coat the next morning

Goretex outer layer or jacket over the bike jacket. Takes less then a minute to throw on and keeps you warm and dry, then doubles up in the evening. I shelled out for the klim forecast , expensive...but i use a bike for my main work transport, my hobby and my mental sanity so i dont compromise.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The ‘best’ over jacket, rain stopper, that I can also sling over my fleece, for sitting around in the chill of an evening, is my old Spidi. It is not Gore-Tex and must now be at least 25 years old. Looked after, it is still as waterproof as the day I bought it. It’s bright red but I don’t care. It looks, inevitably, a bit bikermate off the bike but sometimes you just have to put up with it.

Nothing new ...

... my youngest grandson uses socks as gloves; top tip and you heard it here first :thumb

I use this over jacket when on a trip where I am using my Rukka Air which is a mesh jacket with no rain protection. It packs into a pouch about a litre in size. You can use it as an over jacket for anything or as a waterproof jacket in the evening. It's breathable but not Goretex. It worked really well in a very wet ride from Dijon to Epernay.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/234571 - not many sizes left and looking at other sites, seems it is no longer made, so buy while you can!

There's also the standard jacket which is not breathable but recommended by Ride https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/33270

I make do with a £15 Regatta fleece from Sports Direct.

For £100 more I would want the model as well (the one sporting the steel colour, not the blue one)

Good call. I use a thin merino wool fleece which cost around £45. It replaces the thermal liner in the bike jacket when needed.

Am I the only one here dreaming of a UKGSER catwalk now?

Wapping strolling out nonchalantly looking like man from C&A to the throes of 'Joe Le Taxi', giving us a Zoolander stare before twisting on his heels and mincing back from whence he came.

Wapping strolling out nonchalantly looking like man from C&A to the throes of 'Joe Le Taxi', giving us a Zoolander stare before twisting on his heels and mincing back from whence he came.

You are

So, we all agree - clothes that do more than one job are tip top for bike touring. But here’s the $64,000 question - footwear.

Having put so much thought into my wardrobe that I’ve saved at least half a pannier’s worth of space, how do I avoid filling it up again with shoes?

:nenau:nenau

Very good.

:beerjug:

Bought a great jacket in decathlon last year and it does 3 things for me while touring

1 wear it under the goretex jacket while driving
2 perfect for wearing off the bike going for a bite to eat etc
3 it’s a dam fine pillow as it rolls into its own little stuff sack

It’s my everyday jacket at home, hiking and camping

€70 and now comes in other colours. Feather and down filled rates to -10 on the comfort scale

hell of a supository...!

Back
Top Bottom