Clothes that double up

Wapping

Reaction score
I am not a big believer in taking oceans of clothes away, not least as I am not expecting to meet royalty. Finding clothes that can double up, without looking too bikermatey, is reasonably important to me.

The RAB Cirrus Flex 2 jacket, packs up small (you can stuff it into one of its own pockets) and is certainly good enough for spring or autumn chilly mornings or evenings, instead of a fleece. It is thin enough to wear under a motorcycle jacket. For those that are fussy about such things, it doesn’t have a hood. There is a hooded version, too.

https://rab.equipment/uk/cirrus-flex-2-0-jacket

An alternative, which also packs-up pretty small (into a separate stuff sack) is Mountain Equipment’s Bastion jacket, which does have a hood. Again, good for autumn or spring evenings and can be used under an unlined motorcycle jacket, though the hood might trouble some. That being said, I think it may now have been dropped from their range; I have had mine for several years.

I’ve got the Cirrus Flex gilet….

if Cotswold outdoors are still doing their UKGSer discount there’s a few quid to be saved….

I get 15% off with the Blue Light Card :thumb

Rev'it Solar Jacket

Certainly warm enough, packs into its own pocket and Ive had plenty of compliments from non bikers when wearing it casually.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I make do with a £15 Regatta fleece from Sports Direct.

For £100 more I would want the model as well (the one sporting the steel colour, not the blue one)

How f*cking much!?

I make do with a £15 Regatta fleece from Sports Direct.

For £100 more I would want the model as well (the one sporting the steel colour, not the blue one)

100 quid! :eek: I'm with you. :thumb
... well, on the jacket - not the model. :D

Richard when we rode to Italy ( following your erstwhile advice) my wife’s principle was simple every item we pack must have two uses , undies aside. Eg boots, ride in walking boots , fleeces, trousers smart & casual. It proved sound advice. Using two panniers two dry bags we did 18 days and still brought home un worn clothes. Its the old adage halve the clothes double the cash.

Nice, but if you are on a budget, Primark do something similar as part of their workout gear range for c.£15 - not available now, but probably back in Spring '22.

BTW, the method we use, having toured on Sports bikes, is to list the clothing we take & then, on return, check what we didn't use/like next time. Keep well away from those heavy biker cotton T-shirts & invest in some decent dri-fits that can be washed easily en route.

The Rukka Nivala down inner jacket is a case in point. I probably wear mine more often down the pub than I do on the bike as the Nivala outer jacket is pretty warm by itself. It's my go to jacket if it isn't raining out.

BTW, the method we use, having toured on Sports bikes, is to list the clothing we take & then, on return, check what we didn't use/like next time. Keep well away from those heavy biker cotton T-shirts & invest in some decent dri-fits that can be washed easily en route.

That is very good advice.

A few minutes (seconds really) spent washing a few items, will save you acres of space. Modern ‘sports’ / ‘holiday’ fabrics or the excellent Merino wool, will dry fast. I have a set of clothing, that I use for nothing more than going away on the bike; all easy to wash and fold small. The clothes have lasted for years and now owe me nothing. Look after them all and they’ll look after you.

What’s the best way to wash clothes? That’s up to you but the simplest (other than getting your wife to do it) is maybe just to sling a couple of items into the shower and tread them over as you shower yourself. It’s not dissimilar to a washing machine. Don’t forget, most of the items are not dirty (in the sense of being used on the football field) so just need a freshen up. To dry them? A simple camping washing line. If you would like to speed the drying process up, lie the garments in a towel and then roll the towel into a tight sausage, literally wringing the water out. Always hang the clothes so that the air can circulate around, as it’s the air movement that speeds the drying process up.

Of course, you can do as I have done and find the local laundrette. Some, particularly abroad, are ‘serviced’ in that they have a woman who, for a couple of quid, will wash the clothes for you, whilst you hoon around on your motorbike, picking them up again when you come back. Similarly, many small family hotels, will (if you ask them nicely) will often wash some garments for you - often for free - particularly those small hotels that do their own washing of their table clothes and napkins. The trick, if there is one, is not to present Madame Hotelier with about two weeks’ worth.

Richard when we rode to Italy ( following your erstwhile advice) my wife’s principle was simple every item we pack must have two uses , undies aside. Eg boots, ride in walking boots , fleeces, trousers smart & casual. It proved sound advice. Using two panniers two dry bags we did 18 days and still brought home un worn clothes. Its the old adage halve the clothes double the cash.

Again, good advice and a good reminder about repacking. Look at what you’ve packed. Do you really need a different shirt and trousers for every night that you are away? Do you really want to take your denim jeans, that are bulky a heavy (not least difficult to wash and dry, should you be as unfortunate to squirt the ketchup down them) when a pair of quick dry cargo pants will be much less bulky, will not crease and will wash / dry pretty quickly.

For any new tourists away on a bike, look at what you took and what you actually used. There is a better than even’s chance you’ll not have used most of it. Make a note, as the chances are you’ll not use them next time either. Similarly, imagine the weather you are likely to encounter. A week in the Ardennes in early spring, will be a lot cooler (even colder) than a week in Spain in mid-August, so chose clothes appropriate just for that one jaunt, you’ll not need your entire wardrobe, nor to cater for every unlikely possibility.

Bought a great jacket in decathlon last year and it does 3 things for me while touring

1 wear it under the goretex jacket while driving
2 perfect for wearing off the bike going for a bite to eat etc
3 it’s a dam fine pillow as it rolls into its own little stuff sack

It’s my everyday jacket at home, hiking and camping

€70 and now comes in other colours. Feather and down filled rates to -10 on the comfort scale

Attachments

• 3FEEAF4C-E477-454B-B8D3-471922EA88F9.jpeg
    3FEEAF4C-E477-454B-B8D3-471922EA88F9.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 509
  • D775CD35-92E3-4304-89CF-7B51528E110D.jpeg
    D775CD35-92E3-4304-89CF-7B51528E110D.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 516
If you would like to speed the drying process up, lie the garments in a towel and then roll the towel into a tight sausage, literally wringing the water out. Always hang the clothes so that the air can circulate around, as it’s the air movement that speeds the drying process up.

Some great advice but how do I dry the towel?

Some great advice but how do I dry the towel?
It’s the hotel’s towel so just drop it in the shower for changing :D

I use the technical t-shirts that the likes of HU sell & hiking-type trousers from Tog24 or The North Face. Both are light, easy to pack & dry quickly. As Wapping says, unless you drop ketchup on your trousers they’ll likely do you for the full 2 or three weeks given that you only wear them for an hour or two in the evening

It’s the hotel’s towel so just drop it in the shower for changing :D

I use the technical t-shirts that the likes of HU sell & hiking-type trousers from Tog24 or The North Face. Both are light, easy to pack & dry quickly. As Wapping says, unless you drop ketchup on your trousers they’ll likely do you for the full 2 or three weeks given that you only wear them for an hour or two in the evening

these Isocool shirts from https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/endurance-mens-t-shirt-p12580.aspx/navy/ are excellent for holidays and currently reduced to £5.99 - several colour options

there's a 10% off code on a banner on the website as well - I like the shop, their own brand stuff seems durable and works

Lots of good quality merino tops and layer up according to the weather. The merino tops are smart enough to wear in the evening.

A Rab down sleeved jacket with a Karimore cycling waterproof jacket to go over the top for in the evening if it looks like it might rain.

Engelbert Strauss (motionrange) shorts and longs for none motorcycling clothing (plenty of useful pockets).

A tube of travel wash but rarely have to use it.

I used to tour on a push bike and grams saved by travelling light are invaluable especially in the mountains.

Back
Top Bottom