Connected app with MyRoute

Wapping

Reaction score
Whilst I have always had MyRoute loaded onto my iPhone and Mac, I have never used it.

Now that I have the Connected app and am fairly certain that I now know the basics of how it works and that it seems to work pretty reliably. I thought I'd have a go at using both together.

To do this, I:

A. Created a basic route from Calais to the Belgian border and back into France again, by just tapping around in MyRoute on my large screen Mac. That was fairly simple to teach myself how to do. The maps (I chose the default OpenStreet map and the selectable Michelin map) were both very clear.

B. I created a link to the route I'd created and emailed it to myself.

C. I opened the email on my iPhone, clicked on the link and the route opened up in MyRoute on my phone.

D. I then opened up the Connected app on my phone and by tapping around (guessing in other words) I discovered how to get the route from MyRoute into Connected, safe in the knowledge that I couldn't break anything.

The method was:

Connected

Bottom of the Home Screen, in black, top on the second from the right symbol that looks like two mountains.

Top of the 'two mountains' screen, tap the symbol on the right that looks like route with a pencil.

Back to the MyRoute app, top right hand corner Page Menu.

Select 'Save as'. I just chose gpx 1.1, just on the grounds I knew I wanted a gpx file version.

Up popped a fresh screen, from which I selected 'Open in Connected'.

Connected then opened automatically.

There were two versions of the route available, one I took to be the detailed version, with 3481 support points, the other much more basic straight line version with 11 support points.

Just to see what happened, I selected both versions.

Both imported seamlessly.

The first version is, as far as I can tell, perfect. I'd be happy to use it.

The second is, as I expected, just straight lines. I can discard that or use the Connected app to convert it, which it will do but according to my preference settings. I still need to work out and properly understand how this works exactly.

Thoughts:

A. Having never used MyRoute before, it was all a bit of a learning curve but quite painless.

B. I can understand that I need to get the route from my Mac onto my iPhone and into the Connected app. I did this via an email but I am wondering if I can BlueTooth it across.

C. I wonder if I am getting the route from the email into MyRoute on my iPhone and then into Connected the hard way? I am not very familiar with using files and folders on my Iphone but I suspect the answer lies there, perhaps?

D. Either way, the process worked and, despite being a numpty and having to guess what I was trying to do, it was all pretty quick.

E. It will be useful for creating routes when away from home, using MyRoute on my large iPad, though it's annoying that I cannot have the Connected app on my large iPad, as then I could just use that for route creation and cut out a stage entirely. There again, if I am away from home with my MacBook Air, I can just use BaseCamp to create a route and export that, so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

F. Overall, pretty neat, so far. For a new(ish) app, Connected, seems to be pretty good, straight out of the box.

Simple screen shots of the MyRoute route, running on the Connected app on my phone.

c75b33ee1702b8d8d6a2ab7b8b869fe5.png

eebeb128546cda2f881cd001d1362f91.png

2d0bc2aea6edd36f292c7090610d0280.png

As you can see, the detail when you zoom in, is very good. As far as I can see, the Connected version is the same as that created in MyRoute.

I also use other route planning software such as Calimoto.com on my PC. Calimoto allows you to create and save as a .gpx file, I then transfer this to my phone and open it in BMW connected. I also get a number of options on import, and one has thousands of waypoints. I don't use that one as it has caused problems in the past. To make a route bendy, in Calimoto, there is a waypoint for every bend, should you then follow that route on the BMW connected app it makes the "skip waypoint" function redundant. Should that route try and take me down a 5 km bendy forest dirt road and I skip a waypoint to avoid that section, then it will direct me to point 20 metres further along that road and not further along the route.
If I import the route with just the main waypoints I can tell the BMW connected app that I want shortest, quickest or bandiest route and I don't have thousands of waypoints to mess with.

Hi Richard, I do something similar. I often create routes on MyRouteApp (or Calimoto) and then sync them into the Connected app.

You're using a Mac although I'm not sure how recent it is, but you should be able to AirDrop the file to your phone which will save it into the internal storage, then in the Connected app you can use the Import Route option to pull in the file from the Files app. It'll be under "On My Phone".

If you have iCloud Drive (I think everyone gets some storage for free) you could simply drop the file into your iCloud Drive in Finder and then pull it in from the Files app as above. (Same process will work with Google Drive and OneDrive as they also will appear as options within the Files app on the iPhone)

Simple screen shots of the MyRoute route, running on the Connected app on my phone.

c75b33ee1702b8d8d6a2ab7b8b869fe5.png

eebeb128546cda2f881cd001d1362f91.png

2d0bc2aea6edd36f292c7090610d0280.png

As you can see, the detail when you zoom in, is very good. As far as I can see, the Connected version is the same as that created in MyRoute.

Been doing it the same way. It’s a pity there isn’t an option to save as a Gpx file on the MyDrive iPhone app, so have to create the route on the pc then save as Gpx, the. E-mail to myself; open on the phone, save to files; open connected and import.

Having said that until connected includes traffic cameras i’ll keep it in the back ground for info and use the tomtom app for navigation.

Been doing it the same way. It’s a pity there isn’t an option to save as a Gpx file on the MyDrive iPhone app, so have to create the route on the pc then save as Gpx, the. E-mail to myself; open on the phone, save to files; open connected and import.

Having said that until connected includes traffic cameras i’ll keep it in the back ground for info and use the tomtom app for navigation.

Saw a thread on another forum about connected and cameras. Basically, connected app uses tom tom maps, but the chap who started the thread contacted the connected BMW team about when cameras was coming. The answer was never :)

I have been having fun, trialing the creation of bespoke routes and having them appear automatically in the Connected app, installed on an iPad and on a second iPhone.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/570944-Connected-app-on-my-iPad?p=6185687#post6185687

I even got the Airdrop to work.

Hi Richard, I do something similar. I often create routes on MyRouteApp (or Calimoto) and then sync them into the Connected app.

You're using a Mac although I'm not sure how recent it is, but you should be able to AirDrop the file to your phone which will save it into the internal storage, then in the Connected app you can use the Import Route option to pull in the file from the Files app. It'll be under "On My Phone".

If you have iCloud Drive (I think everyone gets some storage for free) you could simply drop the file into your iCloud Drive in Finder and then pull it in from the Files app as above. (Same process will work with Google Drive and OneDrive as they also will appear as options within the Files app on the iPhone)

Thank you for the suggestions, I’ll give them a go.

I have had some considerable success doing this. Thanks for the suggestions.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/570944-Connected-app-on-my-iPad?p=6185687#post6185687

Back
Top Bottom