Battery Questions

njbhorn

Reaction score
Basic advice appreciated.

Battery dead. Not used bike R1250RT 2019 for about 2/3 weeks (it is very cold nowádmittedly) Put it on Optimax 4 Charger via accessory connection overnight but LEDs 3 & 4 just flashing all the time. In the past there has been enough juice to light up dashboard this time absolutely nothing bike completly dead.

Question 1
Best place to buy a replacement battery in UK (London) and what model number is it?
(Appreciate I can remove battery to get info but if I can get battery first)

Question 2
Is it reasonable for a battery to be dead this easily after 2/3 years? I do have a DataTool Tracker fitted but can't believe that would be too much of a drain on the bike?
The bike is stored in an underground car park and there isn't the option to leave it permanently on trickle charge.

Question 3
In the past I had a GS1200 with a similar going flat issue and replaced the battery with a Gel version and it never gave a problem with charge again. Is this an option for the RT1250 and does it make sense?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Basic advice appreciated.

Battery dead. Not used bike R1250RT 2019 for about 2/3 weeks (it is very cold nowádmittedly) Put it on Optimax 4 Charger via accessory connection overnight but LEDs 3 & 4 just flashing all the time. In the past there has been enough juice to light up dashboard this time absolutely nothing bike completly dead.

Question 1
Best place to buy a replacement battery in UK (London) and what model number is it?

Question 2
Is it reasonable for a battery to be dead this easily after 2/3 years? I do have a DataTool Tracker fitted but can't believe that would be too much of a drain on the bike?
The bike is stored in an underground car park and there isn't the option to leave it permanently on trickle charge.

Question 3
In the past I had a GS1200 with a similar going flat issue and replaced the battery with a Gel version and it never gave a problem with charge again. Is this an option for the RT1250 and does it make sense?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The battery may recover if recharged but chargers need a voltage from a battery in order for them to work.

If it were mine I'd jump start the bike from a car or another battery and the bike should start the charging process so a charger could work.

I think the tracker has drained the battery although I wouldn't expect it to this in two weeks.

Re replacement - I would buy a decent brand from an online supplier if you can't get one from nearby.

Stuff that get it back to stealer, there is no way the battery should be playing up !

Surely it’s under warranty.

My 15 plate Gsa and 14 rt are still on original batteries!

I’ve just had the tracker disconnected from mine as it was draining the battery in around 3/4 days. Seemed to happen soon after I stopped subscribing to the service. Almost like it was going into some rogue mode that was pulling more power than it should.

Question 1

Stroll along to BMW Battersea, they will know the number AND sell you one. Job done. If you can’t be arsed, just as you seemingly can’t be arsed to look at your current battery to ascertain its specifications, a simple phone call to any recognised BMW dealership will give you the answer by return.

Question 2

How often do you use the bike. Telling us that you haven’t used the bike for two to three weeks is meaningless if, over the past two to three years, you have not had the battery on a tender (though I recognise the challenges doing so in a London, multi-occupancy underground garage) and used the bike for one mile jaunts to Tesco once a fortnight.

Question 3

You are not having much luck with batteries. Your action last time will may well give you a pointer as to a route you should consider this time.

PS A two second Google of: bmw r1250rt battery replacement (four words) will give you the answer(s) you seek. Your opening post had…. I lost count when I got to over 50.

If the tracker is in full alert mode it will draw about 0.25 amperes - more than enough to flatten a decent battery in 3 or 4 days.

If the tracker is in full alert mode it will draw about 0.25 amperes - more than enough to flatten a decent battery in 3 or 4 days.

And possibly more so if it is in an underground car park, struggling to get a GPS signal.

And possibly more so if it is in an underground car park, struggling to get a GPS signal.
Under which circumstances, I also doubt the suggestion of a solar charger would be much of a solution.

the battery on my Breva 750 , will go from working to dead in 3 weeks if i don't use it.

The dash is powered ALL the time even if it not switched on. there is no alarm or tracker.

the battery on my Breva 750 , will go from working to dead in 3 weeks if i don't use it.

The dash is powered ALL the time even if it not switched on. there is no alarm or tracker.

Good job the OP has an RT, or he’d be fecked.

Under which circumstances, I also doubt the suggestion of a solar charger would be much of a solution.

Last week I visited a company in Norfolk who were constructing an atmospheric barometer for use in a submarine!

I’ve just had the tracker disconnected from mine as it was draining the battery in around 3/4 days. Seemed to happen soon after I stopped subscribing to the service. Almost like it was going into some rogue mode that was pulling more power than it should.

If you stopped subscribing to the service the tracker will still be working overtime to find a connection to the service provider's system.

Absolutely the case. Since disconnecting it physically, the bike is back to normal and can be left for more than a week without the battery going flat.

Back
Top Bottom