Blue screen of death.

mpjbiker

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, lately, my desktop (Lenovo Ideacentre) has been crashing, generally when watching YouTube, with the message kernal dump mode something or other. It reboots fine, then will work OK for a bit. After crashing, I can only enter the password with the on screen keyboard, not with the mouse and keyboard. I've googled the issue-it all seems a bit beyond my computing skills! Anybody got a fix that an idiot would understand? 😀

First up when this happens to me is download and install latest BIOS and Drivers for that specific machine from the maker's website.
Also, consider whether some recent download or install might be the cause?

Bad ram can cause this.
Easiest thing to check first is that your ram cards are seated correctly.
Just remove and replace the RAM. Then give it a try.
If no fix, if you multiple RAM cards, try removing one and booting up, then replace and try another.
If the problem goes you have your culprit.
Touch a radiator or something first to remove any static.
Beyond that you would be better taking it to someone who knows what they’re doing.

I've heard several people, admittedly none of them expert, mention they have been getting the occasional BSoD recently, but only when using the MS Edge Browser in W10. Everything behaves perfectly using Chrome, Firefox or whatever.

IIRC there have been blue screen issues in the past after MS updates, which usually get corrected surreptitiously after BSoD reports start flowing in.

have you checked the fans are clear? Is it getting hot when streaming your special interest videos in super high definition?

have you run Lenovo Vantage? My Lenovo laptop came with it installed. Every now and then it advises a new BIOS or driver update.

"Vantage makes it easy to manage your device settings, improve performance, and enhance your PC - no matter how you use it.
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/software/vantage

If that does not work, try the utility from Intel or AMD (depending on which processor you have) that checks for chipset drivers.

Download CCleaner then choose the Pro version trial (you can decline it later before the trial starts costing). Run the program to clean up your system, then run the registry cleaner several times to clear out unwanted registry entries. Finally, use the driver updater to search online and update all your Bios, System and Video drivers.

Never had such shite happening with my now 7 year old MacBook Pro. There is your answer, now go buy one.

Do you have any 3rd party anti virus installed? (MCcAfee, Symantec etc)?

If so could be wort disabling. Like all the helpful get a Mac comments, I have about 70 devices under my control and none of them have BSD’s or any non Microsoft AV installs.

Back
Top Bottom