650 Interceptor service - engine oil

FatAl

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Those of you that have one, what engine oil did the workshop use? My owners manual clearly states 10/50 synthetic. I was informed yesterday on collecting the bike after it's first service that they had used Motul 10/40 synthetic. I questioned this and referred them to the manual, they insisted that 10/40 is correct as it's not as hot here as in India, yet the manual doesn't have a viscosity chart like many do giving info on oils to use depending on the ambient temperature of the locality.
I'm not particularly worried as I've had other air cooled bikes that ran on 10/40, but then that's what their manuals stated to use.

:nenau:

I did the first one myself during lockdown Al.

I used Silkolene Pro 4 XP 10-50 as part of a service kit from Hitchcock's.

I think the Motul 10-40 will be absolutely fine and I'm sure every dealer is using this or equivalent in bulk 40g drums.

Next service will be at dealers for warranty reasons but come 3 years I'm back to doing it myself and prob with Silkolene service kits.

I guess your right, I intend to do all service work as soon as the warranty expires. That first service cost £170, of which they charged £47 for the bloody oil!! I usually pay about £26 for 4 litres of Shell synthetic.

I guess your right, I intend to do all service work as soon as the warranty expires. That first service cost £170, of which they charged £47 for the bloody oil!! I usually pay about £26 for 4 litres of Shell synthetic.
Wonder if they actually checked the clearances and adjusted, mines were a little out on the exhaust side so easy on this bike though

I know what you mean, I did mark the oil filter prior to service so I know that was done. An old pal of mine who was a motor engineer (sadly now passed away) often did work for the local trading standards, his part was to prep a vehicle with pre determined faults that should be rectified during a service. He would also mark various items that were due for replacement. I was quite surprised at the amount of stuff that the workshops failed to spot, or failed to replace yet charged the customer. Many of these places were large main dealers, he reckoned the small independent garages were more honest and thorough.

This big bore malarkey looks a hoot...

C'mon Al, when are you fitting one?:)

Is it me but those handlebar look a bit off kilter

Same story for my Himalayan, 10w/50 in the manual, but several dealers insisted that in our UK climate 10w/40 was the preferred oil and that RE UK are aware that this viscosity is used with no issues in event of warranty claims on the motor.

Back
Top Bottom