Help sending maps to micro SD card

Status
Not open for further replies.

markie_wales

Reaction score
So finally got around to updating the maps on my 660. Downloading to "computer only" worked fine, but when sending to the device it says I do not have enough space and reduce my map region selection.

In Garmin Express it says the map size is 7.47GB ansd also says I have ~1GB free on the device and 8.23GB free on my micro SD card.

How do I choose to send to the Micro SD card?

I did try putting the card in a reader and trying to send to computer only, but it wouldn't allow me to change the location of the maps to the micro sd card.

cheers

Markie

map install ...b4 downloading chosen maps , it gives you a drop down bar to chose garmin or E ? depending what is plugged in.

you should be able to have it in the garmin , computer or even your printer .

hth

So finally got around to updating the maps on my 660. Downloading to "computer only" worked fine, but when sending to the device it says I do not have enough space and reduce my map region selection.

In Garmin Express it says the map size is 7.47GB ansd also says I have ~1GB free on the device and 8.23GB free on my micro SD card.

How do I choose to send to the Micro SD card?

I did try putting the card in a reader and trying to send to computer only, but it wouldn't allow me to change the location of the maps to the micro sd card.

cheers

Markie

There are previous threads on this problem. Many of us suffering the same thing, including me. It appears you cannot put full European mapping onto a Zumo 660 anymore

Thanks all. I’ll give map installer a go tomorrow but not holding out much hope!

Cheers

Markie

when you do your route ( in mapsource ) ,high-light your route, select maps around the route , i then add addition maps around that ,......just incase i wander off course.

FYI - I gave up and just downloaded some regions via MapInstaller.

I've had my eye on an XT so might take the pluinge!

cheers

Markie

I don’t think you gave up. I think you just stopped trying to do something that is impossible. As far as all the reports go, the old (but still very good) 660 just cannot accept the new latest edition European map sets, no matter what loading software or size of SD card is used.

Whether this really matters, I am not so sure, not least as few (if any) bods ever want to go from central Helsinki to Lisbon, via the middle of every capital city in between. The local country maps, just for the jaunt in question, are just fine and of course are just what those who use Open Street Map do use each time.

If anyone HAS managed to load the latest maps in full onto a 660, please let us know when and exactly how, please.

Can't Mapinstall be used to create a smaller mapset - say UK only - and just send that to an SD card, which is then installed in the 660? That worked on my 590 when it ran out of space. Remember the 4gb limit.

I don’t think you gave up. I think you just stopped trying to do something that is impossible. As far as all the reports go, the old (but still very good) 660 just cannot accept the new latest edition European map sets, no matter what loading software or size of SD card is used.

Whether this really matters, I am not so sure, not least as few (if any) bods ever want to go from central Helsinki to Lisbon, via the middle of every capital city in between. The local country maps, just for the jaunt in question, are just fine and of course are just what those who use Open Street Map do use each time.

If anyone HAS managed to load the latest maps in full onto a 660, please let us know when and exactly how, please.

Indeed it can. The fellow wanted to install the whole of Western Europe map sets, which used to be possible on the 660, providing it had a big enough SD card installed. It seems that it is no longer possible. So, as you say, it’s selected maps only. It’s a bit like not taking paper maps of Rome or Berlin, when you go to Dublin.

He can still install the whole Europe, just in 2 maps less than 4gb each. Tick whichever is required, or both for route planning on the device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not sure if it helps but I just put 2023.1 on a blank SD card no issues at all

64gig SDXC card, used HP format tool to set the card to FAT 32 (idiots at Microsoft disabled that on win 10 from the look of it)

stuck the blank card in the BM Nav5 (running 3.5 op sys which was the time fix patch in 2019), turned on the device and it was working ??? so seems the maps where on the device NOT the old 8 gig card it had in it.... using latest Garmin 7.13.1 the third version released this month.... connected the nav 5 selected device and when u select the correct options and can choose install to the memory card... (the recco option) you get a LOT more features - once they can install more stuff than the overloaded systems storage cut down features

It is indeed very easy on the later Garmin devices, like the Navigstor V. Unfortunately, the OP wanted to do it on the now somewhat ageing 660.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom