USB socket removal 2021gsa

hairysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As I have no use for the usb socket that is fitted on the right hand side of the cockpit I would like to remove it and retro fit a standard oe power socket as fitted to pre 2021 models. Has anyone done this, is it a straight swap and would it cause any damage to the can bus system due to power output...

Straight swap no issues, although I did it other way round

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

I left USB in place and purchased Wunderlich bracket and socket that allows you to install OEM DIN socket on the other side of the dash:
https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/bmw-r-series/r-1250-gs/electrics-lighting/plugs-sockets/socket-holder-43520-402.html
https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/din-socket-outlet-39810-000-1.html

Thanks for the post and the info.

Have you used this bracket?

I want to install an SAE connection to power various things including my heated gear. The ability to plug that in in front of you to me is attractive. That said I want whatever I fit to appear as if OEM.

As always advice and suggestions from all are welcome.

Regards,

Tony

And anyone changes the DIN on the side of the bike for a USB?

Thanks for the replies, has anyone got the oe power socket they want to part with...will be keeping the usb one to re fit as and when I move the bike on...

Any old power socket will do, you’ll find them on eBay or just do a Google of Hella female socket. You can find them with 90 degree terminals if space is tight.

9f63581f75e3bbe8fc85f70531cfdec7.png

If you intend to have it power your heated clothing, you may well draw over 5 amps, which will trip the canbus. Don’t worry, it won’t blow up. In which case, you’ll need either a suitably fused lead difectly to the battery (go for say, 7.5 amps) or go via a relay.

Thanks but the oe one is what I'm looking for if it's a direct replacement. It is to power my heated vest which is a bmw one and is compatible with the can bus system. There is a socket underneath the seat but after the lead came unplugged and was flapping around the back wheel I have decided I want to replace the usb which I don't use for the socket and run the vest power lead across the tank as I have done on previous lcs...

Tbh - no one would really know the difference if you left the usb on there or it had the hella socket instead as that’s what they’ve all came with for years.
I’ve two.

Thanks for the post and the info.

Have you used this bracket?

I want to install an SAE connection to power various things including my heated gear. The ability to plug that in in front of you to me is attractive. That said I want whatever I fit to appear as if OEM.

As always advice and suggestions from all are welcome.

Regards,

Tony

Yes, I bought the bracket and the socket and installed them on my 2021 GS, left side of the dash, just oposite the USB socket on the right side.

Thanks but the oe one is what I'm looking for if it's a direct replacement. It is to power my heated vest which is a bmw one and is compatible with the can bus system. There is a socket underneath the seat but after the lead came unplugged and was flapping around the back wheel I have decided I want to replace the usb which I don't use for the socket and run the vest power lead across the tank as I have done on previous lcs...

Any plug is compatible with the canbus system, it doesn’t have to have a BMW (made in China) part number on it. Similarly, it doesn’t matter or make any difference that your heated vest has a BMW label or not.

If in doubt, my BMW branded motorcycle has a Powerlet Hella socket (American branded, could have been made anywhere) into which I plug a no-names brand of Hella to DC lead, which I then split (via a three way DC to DC lead, which came from, I think Keiss but I could be wrong) part to run power my tank bag (German label but made I know not where) via a Powerlet socket and a Powerlet remote heat controller. Inside the tank bag, there is a lead to a dual USB socket, so I can charge a phone and a camera. Not one hint of BMW in any of it and no strain on the canbus….. it is only electricity after all and it doesn’t know or care who made the bits.

Appreciate the input, some heated gear has a higher power draw hence the need to power straight from the battery or whatever electric gizmo that can be used to reduce the load on electrical system. The bmw vest wherever it may be made has a power draw that is can bus friendly. I don't want to get into an argument over what is or isn't. My original question was can the usb be replaced with an oe power socket without issue...
Just to clarify I've owned GSAs in all models since 2003, some I've modified, some I haven't so not a total newbie.

As I have no use for the usb socket that is fitted on the right hand side of the cockpit I would like to remove it and retro fit a standard oe power socket as fitted to pre 2021 models. Has anyone done this, is it a straight swap and would it cause any damage to the can bus system due to power output...

Why not just buy a Hella type socket and try? Buy it from a BMW dealership if you feel you must.

What is the worse that can happen?

A. That you find that the socket doesn’t fit.

B. That you find that it would fit but only if you had a socket with 90 degree connectors.

C. That the new socket causes the canbus to fail to safety.

If A and B do not work, fit a suitable socket somewhere else.

If C, wire the socket directly to the battery via a suitably fused supply or go via a relay.

Report back, when you’ve tried as it appears that nobody has the answer. Maybe nobody has tried; you’ll be the first, though post two (who did it in reverse) should give you some considerable encouragement.

:beerjug:

As I said a shit load of posts further up - I’ve two OE sockets so will happily swap one with as you’ll never use the USB as you stated.

I'm going to be hanging on to the usb to refit if I sell the bike but would be maybe interested in buying one of your spare oe sockets if you want to sell..

Back
Top Bottom