Himalayan

lewisjohn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After much thought I’ve ordered a Pine Green Himalayan, it was between a BMW 310GS, a Honda CRF250 Rally and the Himalayan. I felt the Honda and BMW had too much plastic for my liking, the Himalayan has a rugged utilitarian look about it which I like. I’ve watched plenty of YouTube videos on all of them,and decided the Himalayan ticked all of my boxes. Three years warranty and recovery was an added bonus.

Attachments

• 34E2D2AB-D6C9-43B8-BDAB-627AA7C126BD.jpeg
    34E2D2AB-D6C9-43B8-BDAB-627AA7C126BD.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 708
Hope not… I bought a trials 500 so might need some.

Test rode a Himalayan and liked it a lot.

Looks good. You'll love it. :thumb2

As has already been said in threads hereabouts but bears repeating, don't judge the engine's performance until it's got a couple or more thousand miles up as it gets better and better.
Also, don't be tempted to mollycoddle it while running in just ride it normally (unless of course normal for you is revving the bollox out of it) and you will get a better motor in the end.

I have just been out on a day with Nathan Millward. I already own a CRF300L. I was riding the Himalayan, CRF300Rallye, and a Rally Raid CB500X back-to-back all day!

Obv the 500x was nicest on the road, smooth, impeccable road manners, great brakes etc. Showed it's weight and smaller front tyre off tarmac.
The Himmie was very good on green lanes (muddy ones yesterday!), and quite nice on tarmac
The CRF was best off road, and fine on tarmac under 60mph.

Of the CRF and Himmie. Both great fun. CRF much perkier (I guess 10% more power and 20% less weight or thereabouts). CRF definitely had a edge in the rough, and the Himmie on tarmac. CRF seat is narrow and least comfy of the three.
It certainly made me appreciate the Himalayan! Great bike. Still prefer my CRF tho (especially as I have other bikes for road work). The Himalayans there take a battering, and survive very well! Great bikes!

not if you watch Ryan F9, they came out on top of the pile for manufacturing quality, who would have thought ?

Thought it was cleanliness of the assembly process, not quality of the manufactured parts.

Enjoy the bike.

I think the Himalayan is really in a class of it's own, it's more of a touring/travel bike for all terrains. What I love about mine is the long stroke engine, just bimbling about small lanes, in no rush to get anywhere, the chug-chug-chug is proper old school power delivery. Takes me back to my BSA B40 but without the fettling needed. Looking forward to taking much longer trips next year.

Don't read the ADV Himalayan thread, or if you do, just bear in mind that it's mostly Americans trying to make the Himalayan something it's not

Enjoy the bike.

I think the Himalayan is really in a class of it's own, it's more of a touring/travel bike for all terrains. What I love about mine is the long stroke engine, just bimbling about small lanes, in no rush to get anywhere, the chug-chug-chug is proper old school power delivery. Takes me back to my BSA B40 but without the fettling needed. Looking forward to taking much longer trips next year.

Don't read the ADV Himalayan thread, or if you do, just bear in mind that it's mostly Americans trying to make the Himalayan something it's not

The long stroke engine was one of the main features attracting me to the bike as i thought it would add a dimension to the bike missing from the high revving alternatives and, i was right, it does.

I'm thinking I may have to try one of these. I had a look at Barnie's at Portsoy but he reckoned it was maybe a bit hefty? What's it like for wheeling around?

To be fair it's a bit chunky @ 199kg, but it does sort of help with the roadholding

The Interceptor is only 3kg heavier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they certainly don't feel anywhere near as heavy as they are. a lovely bike to own and handle very well. great fun as long as youre not in a rush :thumb

It's a bit like a bumblebee, it shouldn't be able to do what it does, but it does, and well :)

... just not quickly

Thought it was cleanliness of the assembly process, not quality of the manufactured parts.

quality of the manufacturing process, agreed, but to a degree the quality of the manufactured parts as well as none of the parts have bits wearing off into the oil as they were made right to start with

Test rode one last year but couldn't pull it's self out of bed 24 BHP made any overtake hard work .
Nice to ride with good build quality at that price you gets what you pays for.

Test rode one last year but couldn't pull it's self out of bed 24 BHP made any overtake hard work .
Nice to ride with good build quality at that price you gets what you pays for.

That just isn't true of an engine with 2 to 3K miles on it. Yes you need to give some overtakes more thought, look and think ahead, anticipate then make your move which, i find fun and satisfying tbh.
Other overtakes are easy. If that isn't for you then neither is the Himalayan, each to their own. I find the bike effortlessly cracks along at legal limits in most conditions but get a strong headwind plus uphill plus all your camping kit aboard and yes it's time to change down and put up with it until you are able to pick up speed again and crack on which usually doesn't take long. In the grand scheme of things the times when that happens are pretty limited. As to the weight thing (Posh Pete), it may be 190 or so Kg. but you don't notice it as the bike is so well balanced and along with the 800mm seat hight, at least for me being a shortie of 5'7" makes the bike easy to get on with and handle.

For the first time ever, i have sorned the GS as the Himalayan is all the bike i need on a day to day, certainly in the winter, basis.

Found myself looking at the Himalayan's this week, a lot of bike for the money and I really like the Black/red colour scheme.......I must reezist :D don't need another bike, or do I? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom