Fuel Pipe replacement

punisher84

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey Guys

Fuel lines have gone rock solid in an 1150 ive had stood for sometime, gone onto Motorworks and the replacements are very very expensive. Does anybody know of any decent alternatives?

Cheers

High pressure Fuel hose is available by the metre at any half decent car spares shop. From memory it’s 8mm internal diameter.

You haven’t stated where on the bike the fuel hoses needs replacing.

Therefore, it’s important to note that, Internal fuel tank hose, and external fuel tank hose are not the same thing, though they may look the same. So it’s important to make sure you get the correct grade of hose for your application.

You could use the more expensive internal hoses for external use, but not the other way round.

I’ve just used a length of convoluted hose similar to this item on eBay. You’d have to remove the attachment on one end obviously but I think it would work well, despite it being longer than the standard rubber hose..... :thumb

Attachments

• 5C6DA34A-ED4E-4C09-90DE-CED1F5FEFF66.jpg
    5C6DA34A-ED4E-4C09-90DE-CED1F5FEFF66.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 248
I’ve just used a length of convoluted hose similar to this item on eBay. You’d have to remove the attachment on one end obviously but I think it would work well, despite it being longer than the standard rubber hose..... :thumb

Doesn’t say anywhere in the specification, or listing that the hose you have chosen to use is pressure rated…….:nenau

If it isn’t, I would make sure your motorcycle kit is fire retardant and strap a fire extinguisher to you.

Fuel hoses

Doesn’t say anywhere in the specification, or listing that the hose you have chosen to use is pressure rated…….:nenau

If it isn’t, I would make sure your motorcycle kit is fire retardant and strap a fire extinguisher to you.

Forgive me.... this hose was used inside the fuel tank, replacing the ones that regularly split, so sorry for any confusion :thumb

Doesn't the fuel run at about 5-6 bar? I suspect that's the high pressure side, but presumably there's a high pressure section inside the tank as well? Not sure what the low pressure side runs at. But point being there is a fair amount of pressure in the system.

Just mentioning this in relation to Ian's comment...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Forgive me.... this hose was used inside the fuel tank, replacing the ones that regularly split, so sorry for any confusion :thumb

It sounds like you have used your fuel pipe to replace this.

But I doubt whether it will last if it’s not pressure rated. At least when it does split, the fuel leak will be contained within the tank, so no drama, other than needing the bike recovered home.

Attachments

• 85507B01-BA94-42AD-B269-BC849FF9EC78.jpeg
    85507B01-BA94-42AD-B269-BC849FF9EC78.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 213
The internal pipes... they were that hard they just crumble.... its has been stood for about 6-7 years haha

It sounds like you have used your fuel pipe to replace this.

But I doubt whether it will last if it’s not pressure rated. At least when it does split, the fuel leak will be contained within the tank, so no drama, other than needing the bike recovered home.
Thanks for pointing out the negatives once again :thumb

I used the hose from a VW GTi fuel pump kit, and as the pump is higher pressure, I’m assuming it will be ok. Let’s think positively anyway ...... fingers crossed :bounce1

The internal pipes... they were that hard they just crumble.... its has been stood for about 6-7 years haha

The high pressure lines within the tank are 8mm ID x 13mm OD
The filler cap drain and the vent hoses are smaller diameter at 5mm ID x 10mm OD.

But you’ve probably worked that out for yourself.

Internal pipes

Internal pipe usually turns to jelly.

My small ‘horseshoe’ pipe (as pictured) certainly did :blast
I’m a little cautious about the suitability of a convoluted fuel pipe over a similar-sized ‘smooth’ type, as you’d think it wouldn’t flow quite so well? :rolleyes: Bike runs very well with it installed though?

Attachments

• D523EFB1-1AD2-411C-9C07-2F5823A33DBF.jpg
    D523EFB1-1AD2-411C-9C07-2F5823A33DBF.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 176
I needed a bit of fuel hose the other day, went in to my local motor factor with the perished part, he went off down the back and came back with 6" of hose. Charged me €1. They have it on rolls.

I needed a bit of fuel hose the other day, went in to my local motor factor with the perished part, he went off down the back and came back with 6" of hose. Charged me €1. They have it on rolls.
Would you say that BMW are making a decent margin on the £30 odd they charge for the pre-formed mini horseshoe pipe?!!

The high pressure lines within the tank are 8mm ID x 13mm OD
The filler cap drain and the vent hoses are smaller diameter at 5mm ID x 10mm OD.

But you’ve probably worked that out for yourself.

Thanks Ian will have a shop around.

Back
Top Bottom