Connected app on my iPad I

Two questions Wapping.

1. When a route is created in Google Maps does it arrive on your iPad as a .gpx track or route?

2. When Airdropping a route from iPad to iPhone does it not automatically appear in the app (rather than sending it via Dropbox)?

Two questions Wapping.

1. When a route is created in Google Maps does it arrive on your iPad as a .gpx track or route?

2. When Airdropping a route from iPad to iPhone does it not automatically appear in the app (rather than sending it via Dropbox)?

1. If I create a fairly intricate (A to B via various via points) route in Google Maps and send it to my iPad or iPhone, the iPad / iPhone will simply display an A to B version of the route.

If I create the fairly intricate route in Google’s My Maps and send it to my iPad, it will display faithfully, as a Google route. I cannot get it from there into the either the Garmin Drive or BMW’s Connect app.

If I create the fairly intricate route in Google My Maps on my Mac or in my iPad I can export it as a KML file. Though my iPad or iPhone do not give me the option to open it in either Garmin Drive or BMW’s Connect apps. In BaseCamp on my Mac, the KML file opens as a track, just as I expect it would.

2. If I create a route in Google My Map on my iPad, I can Airdrop it over to my iPhone but I do not then get the option to open it in either Garmin Drive or BMW’s Connect app. In other words, it doesn’t appear automatically (or otherwise) in either app.

Until Google / Apple / BMW / Garmin come up with a fix, I shall:

A. Use Google My Maps to send intricate routes to my friends who do not have a GPS device of any sort. At least they’ll be able to look at it.

B. Use Google My Maps to create intricate routes, which I will then bump through BaseCamp to create a useable intricate route.

C. Use BaseCamp to create perfectly good routes, which I can then export into just about any other third party software (and of course a Garmin device or the BMW / Garmin apps) without any other faffing about.

D. Use MyRoute to easily create Garmin XT device / BMW and Garmin app friendly routes on my iPad.

I’ve found it frustrating that no matter what I try on the iPad, Google My Maps insists on refusing to give me the proper desktop view, instead it wants to open the Google Maps app which then doesn’t have the option to export the route which I’m guessing you’ve suffered as well Richard.

Something I totally forgot about and to mention, is if you have a GPX file on your iPad or iPhone you add the Connected app to the “share sheet” so you can effectively push the file into the app rather than have to import it.

31ec8b58360cfe5e728dd4a9f3855345.jpg

I have a theory on how to use the full Google My Maps site on an iPad but I need to try it to be sure I’m right.

That’s odd, as I get the full desktop view on my iPad in Google My Maps.

b1aaea53d38959d9de677c574b43f9d0.png

99caca801cf640fc023a4045bfabd167.png

96ed067bcbd5d821059bd36e227e1496.png

On my iPhone phone I do though get a prompt, asking if I’d like to open the Google My Maps route in the app. If I agree, it promptly tells me that I can’t.

I am reluctant to have my iPhone / iPad push the file to a particular app. Sometimes I like just to view a GPX file in say, the excellent Pocket Earth Pro app, rather than in anything else.

Blimey! Every time I tried to do that a few months ago it kept redirecting me to the Google Maps app! Nice one Richard! It’s a shame it won’t let you export as GPX as you could then use the method I mentioned above to send it straight to the BMW app.

You could convert it on the gpsvisualiser website but it’s still another step unfortunately.

I’d forgotten about Pocket Earth Pro, what a bloody brilliant app!

Guys, really enjoying this part of the forum even though I have no idea what you are talking about :blagblah:blast:nenau:clap:tumbleweed I am also a Mac/iPad user. My go to app for making routes on the Mac is basecamp, but on the iPad I struggle so am using pocket earth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom