Me bike has wrecked me phone, mate…..

Wapping

Reaction score
There’s an article in the latest edition of RiDE magazine on the topic.

2f43d313dd938d9eef95e368f15f0115.png

918ad016cc044e8e4e2cdee11cf9abda.png

I doubt that part of the design brief for mobile phones was for them to be able to function correctly when mounted onto a motorcycle! In fact it's hard to imagine a worse possible environment to place a sensitive image stabilisation system.

Not sure about the high performance high power bit. Lots of the lads on the Honda Monkey 125 forum reported iphone cameras failing after use on the monks.

BMW are in the process of releasing a new cradle system for your phone to sit in the Nav preparation cradle instead of a Nav 5 or 6. Apart from the fact that your phone isnt waterproof, why risk the damage to it, it’s just another unnecessary gadget that BMW are introducing to get us to spend our money.

P.S. BMW have ordered one for me to test out, I’m just waiting for it to come into stock. Would I buy one, doubtful as I’m happy with the Nav 6 and have never had any issues with it.

BMW are in the process of releasing a new cradle system for your phone to sit in the Nav preparation cradle instead of a Nav 5 or 6. Apart from the fact that your phone isnt waterproof, why risk the damage to it, it’s just another unnecessary gadget that BMW are introducing to get us to spend our money.

P.S. BMW have ordered one for me to test out, I’m just waiting for it to come into stock. Would I buy one, doubtful as I’m happy with the Nav 6 and have never had any issues with it.

Most modern phones are waterproof

Most modern phones are waterproof
Correction.......... Most flagship phones are IP68

The middle of the road phones would be more like IP53 (splash proof)

I have a rubber damper on my phone mount and I still think it has fecked the auto focus on my Sammy S20

S20 5G sent this......

Not sure about the high performance high power bit. Lots of the lads on the Honda Monkey 125 forum reported iphone cameras failing after use on the monks.

I suspect the somewhat poor journalism meant, in comparison to a push bike.

Apart from the fact that your phone isnt waterproof, why risk the damage to it,

Funnily enough, the newer iPhones have a greater water protection rating than the Garmin Zumo XT - although neither device is technically "waterproof".

iPhone 13 Pro is IP68 rated, whereas the XT is IPX7

It's the second digit of the IP rating that specifies water ingress protection:

7 = Protection against full immersion for up to 30 minutes at depths between 15 cm and 1 metre (limited ingress permitted with no harmful effects).
8 = Protection against extended immersion under higher pressure (i.e. greater depths). Precise parameters of this test will be set and advertised by the manufacturer and may include additional factors such as temperature fluctuations and flow rates, depending on equipment type. Apple's spec is immersion in water up to 6m deep for up to 30 minutes.

BMW are in the process of releasing a new cradle system for your phone to sit in…..it’s just another unnecessary gadget that BMW are introducing to get us to spend our money…..

Which might make bods wonder why you’ve ordered one to test out?

Carry on, again.

They are waterproof (IPX rated) until you come to claim for water ingress. You will then be told that they were manufactured to that standard but not warranted to it. :thumb2

I doubt that part of the design brief for mobile phones was for them to be able to function correctly when mounted onto a motorcycle! In fact it's hard to imagine a worse possible environment to place a sensitive image stabilisation system.

Exactly the correct answer
I would never mount an iPhone on my bikes handlebars
In the tank bag and wrapped in a case is where it goes

Which might make bods wonder why you’ve ordered one to test out?

Carry on, again.

My local dealership already had two on order for customers, I asked them if they would be willing to provide me with one, free of charge in order that I could put it through its paces for a month or so to see how it performed. My phone is old, if it self destructs, so be it, it'll give me an excuse to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom