BSA Gold Star

His was the least reliable review that I watched

Is that because you feel he's not critical enough?
One thing I did like about the bike which he mentioned was the suspension on poor surfaces. I didn't expect that from this bike.

BTW, I'm waiting for Uncle Stu to test ride it.:thumb2

The more I see it, the less I like it. That radiator puts me off, if I was replacing either of mine I'd go for the V7 850.

The more I see it, the less I like it. That radiator puts me off, if I was replacing either of mine I'd go for the V7 850.
V85 TT Gardia D'Onore is now top of my list Al, I've always wanted a Guzzi, keeping my Interceptor though if I do buy one

I have a soft spot for Moto Guzzis. I've had two Stelvios, but with my arthritis, knackered knees and hips etc they and other ADV type bikes are too tall and heavy. A pal has a V85tt, I've ridden it and like it, but just a bit too tall for me. I like retro style bikes these days with a low seat.

Saltire in Edinburgh now a dealer for BSA.
Pretty good as they also have RE and you can test back to back Interceptor and Gold Star
6771511aab45f1e479f90cb8a0bed433.jpg

I emailed BSA in early October last year to enquire about dealerships in N. Ireland. They replied that an announcement would be made by the end of the month. Still waiting................

Saltire in Edinburgh now a dealer for BSA.
Pretty good as they also have RE and you can test back to back Interceptor and Gold Star
6771511aab45f1e479f90cb8a0bed433.jpg
Think I'll give that a try. :Thumb2

Sent from my moto e30 using Tapatalk

Was out on a demo bike today....My real world riding point of view.

The bike pulled away from low revs as though it was a twin with no jerking and jumping etc. It surprised
me the way it's power built through the gears up to the national speed limit with relative ease.
30mph could be achieved in top but felt better in fourth (it has five gears) which was 2,200rpm.
Quite responsive from this speed in fourth re overtakes in traffic.
I counted in my head 5 seconds from 0 to 60, counting 1000 and one....one th.....etc. So quite inaccurate
but you get the idea.
50mph overtakes where easily done with a 'roll on' in top gear but dropping down to forth for a swifter
response gave me more confidence. Perhaps changing down was unnesseary and was a Job's comforter
on an unfamiliar bike.
I reached 70mph with ease and I'm no doubt it would be fine on the motorway.

The bike felt light and easy to manoeuvre. Once going it felt very light and easy to ride at slow speeds.
It was a breeze to ride down A and B roads and was very planted when I picked the speed up. I'd like to
have tested it's lean angle a tad more but surfaces were a bit damp and greasy today.
I took it down a lane with a really bumpy surface with tarmac missing etc and it coped very well indeed.
I was expecting the rear shocks to bottom out but they didn't even though they were set on the second
lowest setting of five.

I'm 6'1" with a 31" inside leg. Rode the bike for an hour and didn't suffer any cramp, leg ache etc.
The seat was quite wide and firm causing no bum ache, and felt as though it would be all day comfy.
It's a great looking no nonsense machine and a thing of beauty IMHO, with service intervals of 6000 miles.

The bad bits....

The engine cases had BSA decal stickers on them.
No centre stand.
Mirror stalks not long enough (I could only see my arms).
Oh, and it has the radiator off a Hillman Imp.

Attachments

• IMG_20230124_132212476_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230124_132212476_HDR.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 309
Was out on a demo bike today....My real world riding point of view.

The bike pulled away from low revs as though it was a twin with no jerking and jumping etc. It surprised
me the way it's power built through the gears up to the national speed limit with relative ease.
30mph could be achieved in top but felt better in fourth (it has five gears) which was 2,200rpm.
Quite responsive from this speed in fourth re overtakes in traffic.
I counted in my head 5 seconds from 0 to 60, counting 1000 and one....one th.....etc. So quite inaccurate
but you get the idea.
50mph overtakes where easily done with a 'roll on' in top gear but dropping down to forth for a swifter
response gave me more confidence. Perhaps changing down was unnesseary and was a Job's comforter
on an unfamiliar bike.
I reached 70mph with ease and I'm no doubt it would be fine on the motorway.

The bike felt light and easy to manoeuvre. Once going it felt very light and easy to ride at slow speeds.
It was a breeze to ride down A and B roads and was very planted when I picked the speed up. I'd like to
have tested it's lean angle a tad more but surfaces were a bit damp and greasy today.
I took it down a lane with a really bumpy surface with tarmac missing etc and it coped very well indeed.
I was expecting the rear shocks to bottom out but they didn't even though they were set on the second
lowest setting of five.

I'm 6'1" with a 31" inside leg. Rode the bike for an hour and didn't suffer any cramp, leg ache etc.
The seat was quite wide and firm causing no bum ache, and felt as though it would be all day comfy.
It's a great looking no nonsense machine and a thing of beauty IMHO, with service intervals of 6000 miles.

The bad bits....

The engine cases had BSA decal stickers on them.
No centre stand.
Mirror stalks not long enough (I could only see my arms).
Oh, and it has the radiator off a Hillman Imp.
Nice review

Looks like the Interceptor wins in the suspension department.

MCN yesterday....

It does Brut but in the full article in MCN the Goldstar just edges it on quality of parts I believe , see below

Attachments

• B20AFFF9-0165-4113-A9FA-32DACCA686B8.jpeg
    B20AFFF9-0165-4113-A9FA-32DACCA686B8.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 217
It does Brut but in the full article in MCN the Goldstar just edges it on quality of parts I believe , see below

Save the £800 and buy YSS shocks, the brakes on the Inty are ByBre (Brembo of India), my tyres are Pirelli, The exhaust (headers) is quality chromed. Its a Harris frame...... and its a twin with an 865cc big bore option should anyone want to up the power. Lets see how well the BSA ages and how reliability stacks up, Interceptor is in its 4th year now.

Save the £800 and buy YSS shocks, the brakes on the Inty are ByBre (Brembo of India), my tyres are Pirelli, The exhaust (headers) is quality chromed. Its a Harris frame...... and its a twin with an 865cc big bore option should anyone want to up the power. Lets see how well the BSA ages and how reliability stacks up, Interceptor is in its 4th year now.

Lots of good points on both sides of the coin.:thumb2

The Enfield has four years of production under its belt with no issues. All credit to them.
I'm pinning my hopes the Gold Star will be as durable due to its Rotax designed engine and
long period of testing that BSA have carried out.
A leap of faith indeed. Just like the early adopters of the Interceptor who trusted Indian motorcycle
build quality of a newly developed engine, albeit by a long established company.

Back
Top Bottom