Can I have a great big slice of that humble pie please ?

It was mental that they didn't even have a drain plug.

Images from my 2009, not had a look in here before. Decent condition , zero corrosion.

Similar condition to my 2005. Both get/got used in all weathers but I must admit, never did the river crossings seen on some of the more impressive vlogs.

Attachments

• D40A8C07-90BC-41BA-94F9-32CEC7502F76.jpg
    D40A8C07-90BC-41BA-94F9-32CEC7502F76.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 427
  • 26C64498-51BC-4BA7-86F6-74954936E6DD.jpg
    26C64498-51BC-4BA7-86F6-74954936E6DD.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 429
Reassuring Popell isn't it.
I guess that as Im having the whole lots changed it will be covered in grease both ends. Which should have been done at the factory.

I guess that as Im having the whole lots changed it will be covered in grease both ends. Which should have been done at the factory.

or maybe not, you should check yourself

It is in remarkable condition, I changed the FD oil at same time, it had the original stinky black stuff in there, incredibly viscous but the garage was near freezing when I started, I warmed it a little which got things flowing better. Gearbox fluid change when I get some feeling back in my fingers

Don't just assume that it is river crossings that cause the corrosion - if you have ridden in damp weather conditions the inside of the rubber boot can collect condensation which causes some of the moisture - depending on how much lubrication was added at the factory can have an affect on if this causes corrosion - I never did river crossings and didn't wash bike with pressure washer and didn't have any holes or tears in the protective rubber gator - yet still the shaft was seized to the splines.

As said before - it only becomes an issue if you want to split the final drive hub from the shaft (for example to replace the protective rubber gator) or to conduct a repair on the final drive bearings or seals. It is a routine maintenance job in some other countries not in the UK - certain model years seem to be more affected than others so its probably caused primarily in manufacture depending on how much lubrication is added to the bike on the line.

For the sake of an hour or so in the garage when doing a winter clean its well worth inspecting and re-greasing for piece of mind - a good time to snap off the rubber gator and check it for holes and tears. While the brake calliper is off its worth giving it a clean behind the pads as well to keep the pistons sliding freely.

Its no big job - just a step further than routine cleaning.

Rik

if very old become fluid and not oil

There isn't gearbox oil, as my 1150 had, separate engine and gearbox oils. This is the 1200/1250 section, so there is no gearbox oil, only shared engine oil.

Seems the general consensus is to check the fd, especially on newer bikes.
I'm sure this has been asked before but is there a workshop manual or a Haynes manual for the 1250GS?

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Why are you mentioning 2009 bike ?
This is the 1200 1250 gs section. From 2013 onwards.

2009 bikes.
Oil not being a fluid.
WTF is going on ?

Why are you mentioning 2009 bike ?
This is the 1200 1250 gs section. From 2013 onwards.

True, I missed that but as the discussion was regarding splines and drive shafts, I thought it might be interesting to see condition of a GS shaft and final drive, the posted pictures had year of bike in the description.

I’m not even sure why the fluid/oil confusion arose, I blame Winjar:augie:augie

So, Two weeks on, still not heard anything. ? Last they said was they were waiting to hear from BMW mothership.

True, I missed that but as the discussion was regarding splines and drive shafts, I thought it might be interesting to see condition of a GS shaft and final drive, the posted pictures had year of bike in the description.

I’m not even sure why the fluid/oil confusion arose, I blame Winjar:augie:augie

I accept promise I say no more the word fluid/oil spline with Onahi :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom