Can I have a great big slice of that humble pie please ?

Onahi

The Equalizer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
First, apologies to all that were constantly telling me !

My Dealership eventually, after heated discussions, Finally agreed to swap out the BMW Black faulty, cracked recalled foot rests. Two other dealerships told me to pop in and they would swap them for me. I was told they had to be fitted at the dealership. I explained that I was more than competent to fit them, and that it would take me only single figure minutes. But no, They had to do it. I then asked how I was meant to get there, as no foot rests fitted, they will come and collect. Great.

Tuesday they did as they said and collected bike. I also agreed with them, they would :
1 ) Fit new replacement footpegs. In lowest position.
2 ) Supply and fit new rear tyre (Pilot road 5 Trail)
3 ) Break , clean and re grease drive shaft splines :hide

I was given a price I couldn't really refuse. £40.00. For my peace of mind, and to see actually just if they really did need any attention.
Today, Friday, I phoned the dealership, as I'd not heard anything, and was originally told that Id have the bike bike the same day. Can you see where this may be going ? ...............
Received a phone call today. Footpegs fitted, rear tyre fitted, HOWEVER, there is a problem. :augie
The drive shaft, and rear final drive are F%@cked.........
Due to corrosion. All new parts have been ordered. Drive shaft, Rear final drive and bevel bearings. New seals and rubber boot.
The bike is 2.5 years old. And in immaculate condition. I've been told they have put in a good will gesture to BMW mothership and am awaiting the outcome. After reading so many post on here over a year ago, I asked about this and was clearly told "its unnecessary" .
Waiting with fingers crossed for BMW to come good with this, Or I have a 2.5 year old premium motorcycle ready for scrap or breaking.
Have a nice weekend. :thumb
:hide
:jes

They might just be taking advantage of the opportunity to get some easy business paid for by the mothership :eyebrow

Even if there’s a bit of rust on the splines I’m sure if you were paying yourself they’d just get a quick bollocking with the wire brush and a blob of grease :nod

Out of interest I dropped mine a week or so back whilst swapping brake pads, my 2016 bike was like new with grease on the splines and no surface rust anywhere, guess I’m lucky

Chain drive is the future - far better than these high maintenance shaft drives :D

Onahi, it doesn’t count without a photo. Let’s see the spline in order to collectively fret!

My Dealership eventually, after heated discussions, Finally agreed to swap out the BMW Black faulty, cracked recalled foot rests. Two other dealerships told me to pop in and they would swap them for me. I was told they had to be fitted at the dealership. I explained that I was more than competent to fit them, and that it would take me only single figure minutes. But no, They had to do it. I then asked how I was meant to get there, as no foot rests fitted, they will come and collect. Great.

Tuesday they did as they said and collected bike. I also agreed with them, they would :

I was given a price I couldn't really refuse. £40.00. For my peace of mind, and to see actually just if they really did need any attention.
Today, Friday, I phoned the dealership, as I'd not heard anything, and was originally told that Id have the bike bike the same day. Can you see where this may be going ? ...............
Received a phone call today. Footpegs fitted, rear tyre fitted, HOWEVER, there is a problem. :augie
Due to corrosion. All new parts have been ordered. Drive shaft, Rear final drive and bevel bearings. New seals and rubber boot.
The bike is 2.5 years old. And in immaculate condition. I've been told they have put in a good will gesture to BMW mothership and am awaiting the outcome. After reading so many post on here over a year ago, I asked about this and was clearly told "its unnecessary" .
Waiting with fingers crossed for BMW to come good with this, Or I have a 2.5 year old premium motorcycle ready for scrap or breaking.

a sin admit is a sin to give pardon you are brave man

I'm intregued as to why you asked them to look a the spines, seeing your previous assertions.

I'm intregued as to why you asked them to look a the spines, seeing your previous assertions.

Read my post, I do cover that.:thumb

Attachments

• ljbkhvl (2).jpg
    ljbkhvl (2).jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,721
Hats off to you mate, I never understood the fervent denial of the validity or even sense in checking this but then I came from a 2005 that needed to be separated to drain the FD fluid so the check/clean/regrease came as a given for me, never had any rust issues myself but I perhaps started the aforementioned regimen before red death took hold...

There is masses of bollox on the web about the GS/GSA (faceache page is even worse than here) but I always had this in the worth looking at column

I don't understand why BMW have not implemented a way for the water to escape instead of pooling at the bottom of the shaft. Makes me think of it every time I do a water crossing!

Also, this year I noticed a vibration in 4th gear. Not sure if this was just in my head or not. I mentioned it to my service manager and was told it was tyre wear? So, Maybe this will cure that Vibe ?

Having had to replace the drive shaft, bearings and other stupid stuff due to a failure, I found parts could be really expensive, as luck would have it a gut on one of the BMW sites was clearing out his garage and I had lots of brand new parts including the shaft for a few hundred pound instead of the few thousand it should have been. Shaft maintenance is a must, not as much as a chain, but at least twice a year depending on mileage and terrain used in.

Having had to replace the drive shaft, bearings and other stupid stuff due to a failure, I found parts could be really expensive, as luck would have it a gut on one of the BMW sites was clearing out his garage and I had lots of brand new parts including the shaft for a few hundred pound instead of the few thousand it should have been. Shaft maintenance is a must, not as much as a chain, but at least twice a year depending on mileage and terrain used in.

It does make you think. My 14 year old 90K R1150GS was fine ?

Hope you get sorted out okay, and not worry about the slice, have the whole pie!

Also, this year I noticed a vibration in 4th gear. Not sure if this was just in my head or not. I mentioned it to my service manager and was told it was tyre wear? So, Maybe this will cure that Vibe ?

There’s a kind of rhythmic thrumming vibration on some bikes, most feel it in 4th gear on a light or steady throttle

My bike does it and as mentioned above the drive shaft is perfect so I’d say it has nothing to do with corrosion

I asked about getting my splines checked/greased on the forthcoming service which is due in less than 500 miles, the lady on the Service desk looked at me trying very hard not to roll her eyes as she asked if I’d seen something on a bike forum somewhere. She assured me it would be totally unnecessary but if I insisted, they would do it for £50. I will be having it done and if they permit I’ll be taking some photos. The bikes a 69 plate with 11k miles, 8k of which I’ve done in the last year.

There’s a kind of rhythmic thrumming vibration on some bikes, most feel it in 4th gear on a light or steady throttle

My bike does it and as mentioned above the drive shaft is perfect so I’d say it has nothing to do with corrosion

I agree, But why is the final drive being changed ?

I asked about getting my splines checked/greased on the forthcoming service which is due in less than 500 miles, the lady on the Service desk looked at me trying very hard not to roll her eyes as she asked if I’d seen something on a bike forum somewhere. She assured me it would be totally unnecessary but if I insisted, they would do it for £50. I will be having it done and if they permit I’ll be taking some photos. The bikes a 69 plate with 11k miles, 8k of which I’ve done in the last year.

That's exactly the response I received. I'm bloody glad I have done it now .

For info it’s very easy to do yourself and only takes a few minutes

If your bike is 2.5 years old, it will be one of those covered under the 3 year warranty.

Back
Top Bottom