Advice on puncture repair

camphair

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Heading to the Canary Islands in a few weeks and hiring a couple of bikes.
We're island hopping and the bike hire company will only provide breakdown assistance on the island they're based on.
Could anyone advise on these points?

A) been looking at bead breakers etc and the Motion Pro 16" seems to be a pretty popular choice. Any one on here with any experience of these? Are they big/strong enough to break the bead on most bikes?

B) can an inner tube be repaired in the same way a bicycle tube is repaired? ie with a patch. This would only be a temporary fix.

Cheers

They don't have inner tubes, just take a Stop n Go plug kit with you if you're concerned.

If it's an inner tube set up, couldn't you just use a can of something to spray in? Alternatively, buy some slime puncture fluid and put that into the tyres before you head off. And if you end up with a puncture the fluid can't handle, it might be a new tube anyway? Works well that slime fluid

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Take a spare new inner tube ( assuming you know the bikes you are hiring..) and some tyre irons plus right size tools to remove either wheel.… use the side stand to break the bead.

Job done

If they're tubed you shouldn't need a bead breaker, just a couple of good levers.
If the wheels are 18" and 21" take a 21" tube, it'll fit in the 18 and get you by.
You can get bigger patches.

2 cans of tyre weld for each bike.... Job done

Posted in the 1200/1250 section, so must be referring to that tyre, which is tubeless.

Sorry all may have posted this in the wrong section.
The bikes are 700 and 800 bmws.
Neither have tubeless tyres.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

To answer your questions yes a motorcycle tube can be fixed in the same way as a bicycle tube. I wouldn’t use any aerosol products as they don’t work so well with tubes and they make repairs almost impossible. I’ve had a 800 and the front tyre is a doddle to take off. I’d nearly say you could fix a puncture without removing the wheel although I haven’t tried it. The rear is not so easy. If there’s two bikes you can use the side stand of the good bike to break down the bead. I can’t remember if there’s a plug on the bike but if there is it won’t supply enough to pump up a wheel. A small foot pump is ideal. The co2 canisters don’t have enough to really pump up a wheel. You can get spanner’s with a tyre lever on one end. Bye the way a patch applied properly can be considered a permanent repair. The 800 is a very good bike. Have fun. JJH

To answer your questions yes a motorcycle tube can be fixed in the same way as a bicycle tube. I wouldn’t use any aerosol products as they don’t work so well with tubes and they make repairs almost impossible. I’ve had a 800 and the front tyre is a doddle to take off. I’d nearly say you could fix a puncture without removing the wheel although I haven’t tried it. The rear is not so easy. If there’s two bikes you can use the side stand of the good bike to break down the bead. I can’t remember if there’s a plug on the bike but if there is it won’t supply enough to pump up a wheel. A small foot pump is ideal. The co2 canisters don’t have enough to really pump up a wheel. You can get spanner’s with a tyre lever on one end. Bye the way a patch applied properly can be considered a permanent repair. The 800 is a very good bike. Have fun. JJH
As far as I can remember the 700 has alloy rims and should be tubeless. JJH

It’s the Canary Islands not the ends of the earth and there’s two bikes. In the unlikely event of a puncture on one of them push it to somewhere safe, take the wheel off (tools, you have got the tools haven’t you) and get on the pillion of the other bike. Ride to the nearest bike shop or tyre fitter and ask for a repair. If you don’t know where one them is ask someone. If they don’t speak English and you have insufficient Spanish point at the flat tyre and say kaput or broken or something . They’ll soon get the idea. You’ll be back on your way in a few hours all the richer for your experience and with a great holiday story. 👍

If you are really that concerned just buy a spare front tube when you arrive , you can use it for either end in an emergency.

On a separate note don’t try and take a tubeless repair kit with gas canisters onboard an aircraft, my mate had his confiscated at security :D

I wouldn’t go on this adventure bikermates’ holiday, if I were you. It all sounds too difficult.

Back
Top Bottom